Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm pretty sure they said they're done with dark souls. Now Elden Ring will be what you'll wanna look forward to for a similar kind of game from them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm pretty sure they said they're done with dark souls. Now Elden Ring will be what you'll wanna look forward to for a similar kind of game from them.
Yeah, I've gotten the distinct impression as well. Especially since DS3 takes place that the literal end of the world, it seems like FROM pretty much wants to move onto other things. Like Sekiro and whatever Elden RIng is going to be.

We might get a Sekiro 2, There's the possibility of a BloodBorne 2 but I think Souls are done.

I personally want to find out more about just what Elden Ring is supposed to be, because the trailer we got a couple months back didn't explain very much. Granted, FROM trailers are often obtuse as hell when not heavily edited(the DS3 launch trailer which does show a lot of gameplay, but it has so many quick cuts it's hard to make out much)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
We might get a Sekiro 2, There's the possibility of a BloodBorne 2 but I think Souls are done.
I don't think Bamco would let such a popular IP go to waste, espescially with these kind of sales figures. Miyazaki also said he wasn't personally interested to make more(atleast, at the time) but that other people in the team could continue the series. I'm sure it's only a question of when we get to see more Dark Souls. Which is fine by me. :p

What's up with Elden Ring though? An entire year went by without any news.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, I've gotten the distinct impression as well. Especially since DS3 takes place that the literal end of the world, it seems like FROM pretty much wants to move onto other things. Like Sekiro and whatever Elden RIng is going to be.

I personally want to find out more about just what Elden Ring is supposed to be, because the trailer we got a couple months back didn't explain very much. Granted, FROM trailers are often obtuse as hell when not heavily edited(the DS3 launch trailer which does show a lot of gameplay, but it has so many quick cuts it's hard to make out much)
Okay... Dark Souls 1 felt like the literal end of the world too. You may choose to rekindle or let it die. They 'wrote' themselves out of that hole

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Okay... Dark Souls 1 felt like the literal end of the world too. You may choose to rekindle or let it die. They 'wrote' themselves out of that hole
True, though they did a decent job of doing so. There's evidence in DS1 lore that the supports the idea of cycles. DS2 and DS3 just ran with it.

What's up with Elden Ring though? An entire year went by without any news.
There's been a little bit here and there but not much to go off of. Apparently there's going to be a number of different "Kingdoms" you travel to in an "Open field" type world and slaying the kings will be part of your goal.

It's unclear exactly what "Open FIeld" means in this context.

Almost everything else is speculation. FROM Is being very tight lipped about the whole thing.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
True, though they did a decent job of doing so. There's evidence in DS1 lore that the supports the idea of cycles. DS2 and DS3 just ran with it.
I do agree though that DkS3 took the 'cycle' narrative to it's natural conclusion by having the first flame rekindled so many times it had become completely futile. But a sequel could still be set in an age of dark or Aldrich' 'deep sea' vision of the world or whatever. The set-up is simply so good there are still a thousand different directions they could take it. Maybe even a game set entirely in Londor where hollows have become completely accustomed to the new situation. From could make this a really creepy place.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I do agree though that DkS3 took the 'cycle' narrative to it's natural conclusion by having the first flame rekindled so many times it had become completely futile. But a sequel could still be set in an age of dark or Aldrich' 'deep sea' vision of the world or whatever. The set-up is simply so good there are still a thousand different directions they could take it. Maybe even a game set entirely in Londor where hollows have become completely accustomed to the new situation. From could make this a really creepy place.
Londor is one of those lore bits I'd love to see them go into more detail about, either before or after DS3. The idea of an entire civilization/kingdom of hollows is one that bears exploring, especially since the undead curse is so integral to the setting and the sable church is a notable plot point in DS3.

Though there's the persistent (and attractive) fan theory that BloodBorne is a sequel to DS3, either via the new Painted World or possible connection between Deep Sea and the Sea connected to Yarnhem/the fishing village. Marvelous Chester in the DS1 DLC seems like a deliberate tease on FROMs part.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Though there's the persistent (and attractive) fan theory that BloodBorne is a sequel to DS3, either via the new Painted World or possible connection between Deep Sea and the Sea connected to Yarnhem/the fishing village. Marvelous Chester in the DS1 DLC seems like a deliberate tease on FROMs part.
heheh yeah From's games are full of esoteric references though direct connections are tenuous at best. The easter egg in Deracine is probably my favorite.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah I should’ve clarified I was talking about Bloodborne. Maybe Miyazaki has at least some solid concepts and a game blueprint mapped out for whenever Elden Ring is done. I used to think maybe he sees it as a one off and doesn’t want to mess with it again, but I recently read something about a sequel being something he seemed interested in doing, but that it “unfortunately” wasn’t up to him.

Sony, that was your cue.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah I should’ve clarified I was talking about Bloodborne. Maybe Miyazaki has at least some solid concepts and a game blueprint mapped out for whenever Elden Ring is done. I used to think maybe he sees it as a one off and doesn’t want to mess with it again, but I recently read something about a sequel being something he seemed interested in doing, but that it “unfortunately” wasn’t up to him.

Sony, that was your cue.
Yeah, like Demon Souls, BB is still owned by Sony, so we're not seeing remakes/releases/sequels to either until Sony give the green light.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a PC release of Demon Souls either. I'm not sure what Sony is waiting for, considering there is no reason to keep it a PS3 exclusive at this point.

BB2 would be cool, but if it dosen't happen I'll be fine. It's one of those things that will be just fine as a one off.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wonder if we'll ever get a Demon's Souls 2. That used to be Dark Souls, until Dark Souls started sequelizing under that name. They're basically the same game anyway.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Wonder if we'll ever get a Demon's Souls 2. That used to be Dark Souls, until Dark Souls started sequelizing under that name. They're basically the same game anyway.
Apparently BB at one point had direct connections to Demon Souls but I think those were all removed in the final game. But yeah, the few times I played Demons Souls I felt it was Dark Souls 0(I know it came first but I played Dark Souls first so that's my benchmark).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Apparently BB at one point had direct connections to Demon Souls but I think those were all removed in the final game. But yeah, the few times I played Demons Souls I felt it was Dark Souls 0(I know it came first but I played Dark Souls first so that's my benchmark).
I played Demon's Souls first. It's a pet peeve of mine that Dark Souls has gone on to hog all this space in pop culture when Demon's Souls came out years before it and has a perfect physical or spiritual equivalent for every purported benchmark of Dark Souls. It should be Demon's Souls hard, not Dark Souls hard. And Valley of Defilement was sending people into cardiac arrest long before Blighttown was a lonely thought in Miyazaki's mind. But that's what it gets for being an exclusive I guess.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I played Demon's Souls first. It's a pet peeve of mine that Dark Souls has gone on to hog all this space in pop culture when Demon's Souls came out years before it and has a perfect physical or spiritual equivalent for every purported benchmark of Dark Souls. It should be Demon's Souls hard, not Dark Souls hard. And Valley of Defilement was sending people into cardiac arrest long before Blighttown was a lonely thought in Miyazaki's mind. But that's what it gets for being an exclusive I guess.
I think being an exclusive was a big part of it(I played all the FROM games beside BB and DeS on PC) but for whatever reason, Demons Souls didn't hit with nearly the same Impact as Dark Souls. There are arguably some things Demons Souls did that just didn't gel with the gaming populace in general(World Tendency is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). I know I've had a hard time getting into like I did with Dark Souls(to the point I still haven't gotten very far but I didn't play it very long).

I know plenty about it from reading about it and watching stuff on it, I just haven't been able to actually get into it. Why don't I go back and try to play through it? Mostly because I'm still behind on the games(I finished Sekiro after 4 months of playing like a month or so ago) and have yet to even start DS3, so DeS keeps getting shuffled to the back because it's the one that feels the least engaging of the choices I have at any given time. And being difficult and taking a while to get though means that when I finish one I normally take a long break before starting the next one means I'm very, very slowly making any progress on the series.

And chances are, by the time I finish DS3, Elden RIng will be out and I'll be more interested in that.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think being an exclusive was a big part of it(I played all the FROM games beside BB and DeS on PC) but for whatever reason, Demons Souls didn't hit with nearly the same Impact as Dark Souls. There are arguably some things Demons Souls did that just didn't gel with the gaming populace in general(World Tendency is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). I know I've had a hard time getting into like I did with Dark Souls(to the point I still haven't gotten very far but I didn't play it very long).

I know plenty about it from reading about it and watching stuff on it, I just haven't been able to actually get into it. Why don't I go back and try to play through it? Mostly because I'm still behind on the games(I finished Sekiro after 4 months of playing like a month or so ago) and have yet to even start DS3, so DeS keeps getting shuffled to the back because it's the one that feels the least engaging of the choices I have at any given time. And being difficult and taking a while to get though means that when I finish one I normally take a long break before starting the next one means I'm very, very slowly making any progress on the series.

And chances are, by the time I finish DS3, Elden RIng will be out and I'll be more interested in that.

Like J. Nov I started with Demons Souls, and pretty much played all the SoulsBorne games in order. All I’ve left of DS3 are the endings and The Ringed City. Aside from some of the game systems being less streamlined like health and having less ring slots available, Demon’s Souls still seemed one of the easier to play through, imo. Not to Platinum mind you (that personally would be the first Dark Souls by a decent margin), but just getting through it.

I had no idea what I was doing originally, but if I had played it last I would’ve had a much easier time with the actual level of challenge. It also seemed like it had the most exploits for the tougher bosses. The dragons are pretty much the same deal throughout the series too, but playing them in order was cool to feel the incremental refinements to the gameplay mechanics and combat encounters. It’s like there was a direct correlation for the series ramping up in playability and core challenge, which benefited longtime players.

That’s not to say Demons isn’t playable by any means though either. In fact it still in some way feels more...idk, organic than Dark Souls 1 and 2. Maybe physics and hit feedback were handled differently or my build was slightly different too, and I’m sure the equip burden ratios worked differently. I went back to play it before the servers were shut off and started another NG. The tutorial boss was nothing like the struggle I remembered originally. A lot of tactics transcend the entire series and it still felt pretty dang good to play. I’d love to go through it again if I didn’t have such a huge backlog. Revisiting the good ol’ Valley of Defilement and Tower of Latria with more skill and experience under my belt would be a real treat.

It’s of course your complete call what game to tackle next if you still plan on playing through both, but this post is basically to say don’t let Demon’s Souls’ age turn you away from it. I still consider it the most thoughtful entry in the overarching series in terms of general design (sans level; that still goes to Dark Souls) and most bosses, and that’s not because it was “first” or an exclusive; although like Bloodborne that might’ve helped its focus. Each Souls game had its eccentricities to learn whether it’s world/character tendencies, hollowing, etc. Since the servers are off now that aspect would be much less of an issue, and there is a ring to offset most of the health bar penalty from dying a lot of you want to save Ephemeral Eyes (equivalent of Humanity). Perhaps the biggest reason that would have me holding off if I hadn’t already played it would be the possibility of a remaster next gen, but that’s a big ?

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Played all of the Souls games when they originally came out as well and enjoyed them immensely but whenever I want to replay a Souls game(like literal, not a derivative title) it's always DkS3 since it's just superior in every way; the combat, graphics, enemy variety, bosses, stage design etc. Sure it might not be 'interconnected' like DkS1 but I'm not really bothered by that when the game itself is god-tier. I replay the game and immediately want to replay again. Been that way since the game came out 4 years ago. :p It's simply sooooo good. I put it in the same league as my other favorite games; Bloodborne and RE4.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Played all of the Souls games when they originally came out as well and enjoyed them immensely but whenever I want to replay a Souls game(like literal, not a derivative title) it's always DkS3 since it's just superior in every way; the combat, graphics, enemy variety, bosses, stage design etc. Sure it might not be 'interconnected' like DkS1 but I'm not really bothered by that when the game itself is god-tier. I replay the game and immediately want to replay again. Been that way since the game came out 4 years ago. It's simply sooooo good. I put it in the same league as my other favorite games; Bloodborne and RE4.
I liked Ashes of Ariandel more than most I think. I haven't played through The Ringed City yet, but the way AoA ends kinda makes up for the lack of DkS1 level design in the base game (which still of course has some classic Miyazaki touches, if a bit more understated), and at least made me think of some of Bloodborne's best shortcuts and loops.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It’s of course your complete call what game to tackle next if you still plan on playing through both, but this post is basically to say don’t let Demon’s Souls’ age turn you away from it. I still consider it the most thoughtful entry in the overarching series in terms of general design (sans level; that still goes to Dark Souls) and most bosses, and that’s not because it was “first” or an exclusive; although like Bloodborne that might’ve helped its focus. Each Souls game had its eccentricities to learn whether it’s world/character tendencies, hollowing, etc. Since the servers are off now that aspect would be much less of an issue, and there is a ring to offset most of the health bar penalty from dying a lot of you want to save Ephemeral Eyes (equivalent of Humanity). Perhaps the biggest reason that would have me holding off if I hadn’t already played it would be the possibility of a remaster next gen, but that’s a big ?
Don't get me wrong, I do want to play through it some day. It's more if just priorities and time/commitment needed. Each FROM game takes me a month or two(depending on how much playtime/commitment I have), I need at least a few months after finishing one before I'm ready to tackle another and it's always a matter of "Which of these remaining games has my interest the most?" I might play DS3 this year and if so I'll likely end up playing DeS next year, but if ER drops either year, it'll likely push back DeS so I can play it first.

It's the downside of making Difficult, Commitment heavy games. They're quite satisfying to finish, but I also don't want to touch another one for a while once I'm done.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I liked Ashes of Ariandel more than most I think. I haven't played through The Ringed City yet, but the way AoA ends kinda makes up for the lack of DkS1 level design in the base game (which still of course has some classic Miyazaki touches, if a bit more understated), and at least made me think of some of Bloodborne's best shortcuts and loops.
I LOVED Ashes of Ariandel. It felt like Souls in a fairytale book with what is probably one of the coolest bossfights in the series. It is everything I love about Souls condensed to perfection. I'd be reluctant to consider this the best piece of Souls content that exists(including Bloodborne).

To be honest I was kinda disappointed by The Ringed City and didn't enjoy it much. Kind of tedious encounter design and playing beyond the dreg heap took away of the mystery. Just felt a resounding 'meh' after completing it. AoA though made me wish they made an entire game in a dreamlike, wintery landscape.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker