Dark Souls 3 Producer "Hoping" to Bring a Souls Game to VR

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Dark Souls 3 Producer "Hoping" to Bring a Souls Game to VR

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1363/1363967.jpgAs if Dark Souls games aren't hard enough, producer Atsuo Yoshimura would like to bring one to virtual reality.

The Dark Souls series is legitimately one of the hardest games to come along in quite some time. If you've ever wondered what a Souls game might be like in VR, you're not alone. It turns out that Dark Souls 3 producer Atsuo Yoshimura would like to make exactly that game.

In an interview [http://uploadvr.com/dark-souls-vr/] during a livestream prior to the November 18 Golden Joystick Awards, Yoshimura was asked, "Are we going to see Dark Souls in VR?" to which he responded, "Yes." Of course, that direct answer was followed by a bit of clarification. Yoshimura said that the entire dev team was "hoping" to produce a VR Souls game.

Obviously, this is far from an official statement on the issue, but it is encouraging for fans of VR and the Souls series. It would be interesting to see how such a game would play out, and how popular it would be. Of course, it could also turn out to be a glorified tech demo, like Batman: Arkham VR. Time will tell, but I'd be willing to bet that there will be some Souls fans hoping that it comes to fruition.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
What? The guy who is really just about making money is looking to milk the series more?

Who cares about producers? Seriously, whenever a movie is like "From the Producer of..."...who cares!?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
All i can think about is how nauseating it would be to play Bloodborne in first-person VR.

Not because of all the horrible shit you get to see up close, because of all the quick dashing and rolls.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Even if the series should just end already because being milked is bad- i'm a huge Dark Souls fan, so this interests me greatly. I only hope that they place effort into the game and not throw it out there because "It's VR!! Wooh~ give us money now" ... that would depress me.
My issue is clearly its unlikely the right people will be the ones making it. If Miyazaki wanted to make a Dark Souls VR game, Id be interested, but Dark Souls clearly is a series that suffers when greedy hands shape it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Um...ok? Not convinced this producer really understands the draws of Dark Souls and perhaps is just spouting money symbols he sees pop up in his mind fueled by the latest growing fad. Can't see the product being much more than a fan-servicing tech demo for giving the more hardcore jebblies a chance to peer beneath Soliare's fully rendered groin curtain for digital molestation; As complicated RPG action gameplay requiring 3rd person viewpoint for spacial awareness is the squarest of pegs trying to fit in into the roundest of needle thin holes.
Also the idea of dodge rolling in first person everywhere is not a pleasant one for the stomach contents. :/

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Given how horrible its TPS camera is, FPS view might be an improvement.

Unless you like Great Shields that is.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
Even if the series should just end already because being milked is bad- i'm a huge Dark Souls fan, so this interests me greatly. I only hope that they place effort into the game and not throw it out there because "It's VR!! Wooh~ give us money now" ... that would depress me.
Id rather just have a Demon Soul's like spinoff that has similar game play, but is in its own universe. How many times can we possibly watch the world end. I can tell that Miyazaki is constantly being pressured to make more, but I don't think he wants to. He's clearly a bit of an arteur, and most arteurs don't want to keep making the same game over again.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
"Now you can see asylum demon's glorious arse right in front of your own eyes while you slash it with your daggers blood splattering to your eyes and experience the dancing ragdolls like never before!"

Though seriously while I'd love to see a game like this where you can walk and fight and explore in VR, it just could not work as well as it would need to to actually be a good enough game.

Honestly with a design like the games have and good surround sound design they could in theory create very interesting things, at the same time though the pace would need to slow down a huge amount and fighting multiple opponents or bosses would probably be very disorienting, infuriating or not that interesting. And while the exploration aspect would really interest me the models and textures would need to be so much better that I think it would be a waste of resources and too expensive to make properly. Especially with VR still being very limited market.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
On one hand, seems like a poor fit for a VR game given the 3rd person perspective and heavy reliance on watching boss monsters telegraphing their attacks while you're dodge-rolling up their assholes. On the other hand, given the Souls fandom has also tried (and achieved) beating the game with Guitar Hero Controllers... can't help but feel a VR version would just be seen as an extra challenge to be taken.

The new ultimate challenge - beating the Soul of Cinder in VR without throwing up.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I have much disdain for this idea and VR in general as it is now. Especially when something is ported to VR that has no business being in first person. It might work for Skyrim well enough, but VR Souls makes only slightly more sense than VR Katamari which is none.