Dark Souls 3's DLC Will (Probably) Mark the End of the Series

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Dark Souls 3's DLC Will (Probably) Mark the End of the Series

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1351/1351067.jpg

The DLC for Dark Souls 3 will likely mark the end of the franchise, according to From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Earlier today we got a look at new gameplay footage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168458-Watch-Seven-Minutes-of-Gameplay-From-Dark-Souls-3-Ashes-of-Ariandel#&gid=gallery_6517&pid=1] for Dark Souls 3's Ashes of Ariandel expansion, due out in October. It seems likely that the upcoming release marks the beginning of the end of the franchise, according to statements from From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Speaking with Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/21/12999428/dark-souls-3-final-game-dlc-ashes-of-ariandel-miyazaki-last-finale], Miyazaki said that it is "time to move away from the Dark Souls franchise," and that while others within the company may want to resurrect the series in the future, it is the current belief that the franchise will be complete after the release of the two upcoming DLC, of which Ashes of Ariandel is the first.

"It's time to move away from the Dark Souls franchise," Miyazaki said. "As president of From Software, I'm not completely denying the possibility of bringing back the franchise in the future. There could be someone else in my company who wants to work on new installments. But we believe that the series will end after the two DLC."

Miyazaki went on to say that he isn't opposed to working on a "Dark Souls-like game or a dark fantasy game."

Ashes of Ariandel is slated to release for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on October 25, with the second DLC coming in early 2017.

[gallery=6518]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You know, there still is Dark Souls 1 to bring to modern systems with visual and other such upgrades...so...that would be really nice to experience for a non-pc peasant with nary the console to appreciate the allegedly best entry to the series. If you made it very extra nice and shiny and smooth, that would be a bonus. Just throwing that out there. It would be great to end on a fitting tribute, right?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
You know, there still is Dark Souls 1 to bring to modern systems with visual and other such upgrades...so...that would be really nice to experience for a non-pc peasant with nary the console to appreciate the allegedly best entry to the series. If you made it very extra nice and shiny and smooth, that would be a bonus. Just throwing that out there. It would be great to end on a fitting tribute, right?
Its on PS3 and 360 though.

While I love Dark Souls 1, and honestly...would likely buy an updated version...I think Demon Souls is the most logical game to update, since it is currently just a PS3 exclusive.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dark Souls originally supposed to end with...Dark Souls?
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that we got more, and I love Dark Souls II, but we've heard this before it seems.

And on that note, does this mean that the final DLC with be like Scholar of the First Sin, in that it adds stuff to the ending of III itself? Or do they just mean that once the DLC is out, that's it?

Either way, I'm okay if Dark Souls takes a break. I feel like III was missing some of the magic from the first two games. While it was certainly fun and I liked finding out what happened to everyone, that air of mystery was kind of lacking. Plus, there's always another Bloodborne out there, I'm sure.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
It would be nice if they re-made Dark Souls...

Not just for the graphical upgrade, but also for some much needed optimization. Most of the game ran fine, but there were some areas... Blighttown... that were so poorly optimized, that even my behemoth of a PC rig would start lagging if I looked at the wrong angles. I tried playing Dark Souls on the Xbox One, and I have no idea how I managed to slog through that area without entering a deep state of psychosis.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
I got Dark Souls free from Xbox's Games With Gold. According to my Xbox 360 I also have Dark Souls for Xbox One.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm cool with this. Frankly, I'm getting the feeling there was never supposed to be a sequel to DS. You know, with it being set at the end of the world and all that. When the game did so well and people(especially NB) started asking for a sequel or two, there was no doubt a sense of "Fuck. Where do you go from the end of the world?"

DS2 pretty much avoided the whole question of the DS ending by "something something cycles!" and DS3 decided "Wibbly Wobbly Timely Whimey. Ignore DS2 and it's Really Really the end this time!"

The creator has outright said he's done with the series and wants to do something else(and Bloodborne kinda made that point a while back). Just let it rest. Stop rekindling the damn flame and let it die already.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dark Soul's ended with one, as far as I'm concerned. How many times can the fucking world end?

Saelune said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

While I love Dark Souls 1, and honestly...would likely buy an updated version...I think Demon Souls is the most logical game to update, since it is currently just a PS3 exclusive.
Demon Souls would still be a PS exclusive, though, seeing as it's owned by Sony. I really hope they leave it alone. They butchered the Dark Souls lore with their sequels. I would hate to see them do the same to Demon Soul's. Being the underrated game has its advantages, it seems. A re-release would be nice.
Sniper Team 4 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dark Souls originally supposed to end with...Dark Souls?
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that we got more, and I love Dark Souls II, but we've heard this before it seems.

And on that note, does this mean that the final DLC with be like Scholar of the First Sin, in that it adds stuff to the ending of III itself? Or do they just mean that once the DLC is out, that's it?

Either way, I'm okay if Dark Souls takes a break. I feel like III was missing some of the magic from the first two games. While it was certainly fun and I liked finding out what happened to everyone, that air of mystery was kind of lacking. Plus, there's always another Bloodborne out there, I'm sure.
I'm worried that people keep wanting to bring it back. Miyazaki wanted it to end with one, but the company kept forcing them to make more. Now it sounds like some of his subordinates want to just drive the franchise into the ground with their lack of vision. I'm sure they'd be quite happy making nothing but Dark Soul's for the rest of their lives. Personally, I want From to move on, or else they'll stagnate and die.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fox12 said:
Dark Soul's ended with one, as far as I'm concerned. How many times can the fucking world end?

Saelune said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Demon Souls would still be a PS exclusive, though, seeing as it's owned by Sony. I really hope they leave it alone. They butchered the Dark Souls lore with their sequels. I would hate to see them do the same to Demon Soul's. Being the underrated game has its advantages, it seems. A re-release would be nice.
Sniper Team 4 said:

I'm worried that people keep wanting to bring it back. Miyazaki wanted it to end with one, but the company kept forcing them to make more. Now it sounds like some of his subordinates want to just drive the franchise into the ground with their lack of vision. I'm sure they'd be quite happy making nothing but Dark Soul's for the rest of their lives. Personally, I want From to move on, or else they'll stagnate and die.
As I said, a re-release, not a Demon's Souls 2.

And as I made clear with an entire topic about it, I want to keep playing games like Dark Souls...but I hate Dark Souls 2, and its the one game in the series that Miyazaki was not director, so I am reluctant to want them to keep making Souls games without him.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
So are they going to do some actual ending to the cycle with the DLC to properly finish the series?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well they have other franchises to work with too like otogi, kings field or armored core.
They could also pull another bloodborne.
No reason for them to keep clinging to dark souls forever, 3 was good but it kinda got old.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Yeah, then FromSoftware will make Fading Stars, which is just Dark Souls but Sci-fi themed or something

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
SirSullymore said:
Yeah, then FromSoftware will make Fading Stars, which is just Dark Souls but Sci-fi themed or something
Wasn't there something called 'The Surge' or 'The Source' that wants to be Dark Souls in space? But you know, when I read your post I found the idea to be something I'd definitely like to play. And if that never happens we'll at least get 'Nioh' soon.

OT: I haven't started with Dark Souls 3 yet, though I bought it at day 1 (because I need the artbook, shutup). And while I'd hate to see the series end, it's OK. Miyazaki doesn't want to participate in the creation of a fourth entry, but isn't opposed to colleagues making it. And without him I don't really see how it could become a classic like Dark Souls 1. But I guess the genre or gameplay or whatever makes the game work so well is too successful at this point for From Software to let it go. We'll get another game in the same vein, even if it's not named after the existing franchises.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
That's fine. Dark Souls 1 had a perfect ending for the franchise anyway. I kind of wish they had just ended it there and allowed DS1 to just be this amazing one-off rather than keep the franchise going. DS2 was... not for me, and DS3 was better but the magic has worn off. It didn't pull me in like the first game. One playthrough and I was done with it. DS1 was lightning in a bottle and I'm happy to have just that game rather than a continuing franchise.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I'm totally fine with Dark Souls finally concluding. I think 3 gave Dark Souls a perfect ending, and unlike a lot of people here, I do think the three games made an excellent trilogy (well, two great games and a pretty good one in the middle). But now it's time for FromSoftware to work on others series. They can keep doing Souls-like games like Bloodborne if they want, but they shouldn't be confined to just that type of gameplay or the Dark Souls setting.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Saelune said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Unfortunately for PS4 owners, so far the only option is a subscription service to stream those old titles, which limits the quality of the picture and the framerate. I have no idea what the online capabilities are through that service. It is pretty limited, though I did own Dark Souls 1 on an old 360, it is far far away now in a distant mysterious land. Also would like to try Demon Souls, but not through laggy streaming restrictions. The Dark Souls 2 port/upgrade they did was pretty polished and still runs at least twice the frame rate of DS3 and Bloodborne. It would be nice to see either of the popular early games to be more publicly available if not upscaled to DS2's performance levels. :)

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
It's time to expand beyond dark souls in my opinion. Past time in fact.

There have been clones, but dark souls really has the whole action/rpg combat down, and between bloodborn and DKS3, they are ready to really release a game (universe) that utilizes it.

You have all the tools needed to allow for nearly endless advancement, specialization and content at this point for a game like this. You start with an initial game about the size of any of the dark souls, but constantly expand on it. You also don't limit character levels, or stat effects etc. New areas that are added can give more exp, meaning you can level up faster a bit (making reaching higher levels faster), but reaching level 1000 would be possible with enough time, and you would still notice a difference in power/health etc when boosting stats at that point.

Much like DS your stats would do more initially, getting you to a set starting point. The first 50 or so vigor for instance would get 20 health a pop, then 50-100 would give 10 and 100+ would give 5 health a pop.

Strenght/dex etc would boost damage, also having diminishing returns, but for S rank weapons at least, still giving 1 damage at least per point even post 100. Strength could also reduce swing speed for heavy weapons (up to a point), and dex could have a similar attack speed bonus for light weapons (or two handed combat), along with bonuses to ranged weapons attack speed as well.

The point would be to keep adding to the game world (perhaps even every month or two), so that you almost never run out of content (especially if you play more then one character). Of course at this point it makes sense to plan for VR as well, which will probably make such a game so addictive they may need to make it illegal hehe.