Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss now released for consoles! (No Spoilers Here)

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Sande45 said:
Turtling, especially with a spear, always was so easy and simple that it was boring as hell and basically eliminated a huge part of the game for those looking for a fun and challenging play style. Pretty much everything else about the update looks great as well. What I don't get though are the Eagle shield nerf (who uses a shield that weighs 6 and doesn't even block 100% physical?) and faster rolling (it's not like rolling was that far behind turtling in easiness before).

Have they done anything about the lag (or matchmaking)? The moment I decided I'm not going to touch that shit(PvP) with a ten foot pole was when I got lagstabbed while being behind them just about to backstab them myself.
The matchmaking is improved, not incredibly though. There's a bunch of other glitches that got taken care of too, its a 370 or so MB patch. Where the matchmaking shines is in the arena, connections fail a lot less and there's less issue because you're not "in" someone else's game, everyone involved moves to the battleground area to level the playing field.

I'm with everyone else, and it perplexed me at first...I have NO CLUE why a "great"shield that weighs 6 pounds can't take 100% of the damage.

I have to ask, and I ask it nicely and not at all to incite a problem...if turtling makes things too easy and rolling away from getting hit is too easy, do you just take hits to the chest like a boss to make everything nice and hard? : )

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
s69-5 said:
Fr said:
anc[is]They didn't fix the broken first person bow mechanics? Figures.
What was broken? Just wondering. It seemed fine to me.
Not being able to aim more than 15 degrees down and your arrows hitting the door frame or railing or whatever even if your crosshair is perfectly clear of any obstruction.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Fr said:
Broken bow mechanics? Im not an expert with bows but as I recall the marker was always dead on until the arrow began to drop. Thats only when it got wonky

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
I'm pretty pissed off about all the nerfing,
The Eagle Shield was a godsend for anyone with a balanced build on new game+, also what you did not mention is that weapons with elements like fire or lightning are nerfed as well, making it a mess for anyone who does not focus on strength since their the only good weapons at this point that do not require level 50 strength.
This update is ruining the game.

Siegreich

Jun 24, 2008
The Eagle shield was to low endurance dex builds what the dark wood grain ring was to heavy builds an item that gave way to much defensiveness at way too little cost.

Its also why elemental weapons were nerfed since they allowed you to do alot of damage without actually investing in offensive stats

overall most of these fixes are for the sake of the pvp and are a godsend to those who are sick of stunlock super heavy builds ninja flipping around because of DWG.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Looking over everything, I really get the impression that they were hoping everyone would be cool with rolling a new character, not just booting up the one they got the farthest with and going back to Oolacile with it.

I really do have to admit that for as much as that sucks the arena wouldn't be near as much fun without these changes, so I'll take their word for it. They sweat over the smallest details, and I don't see them willy-nilly fucking up everyone's stay in Lordran if it wasn't justified.

I didn't have a problem rolling new characters when I got the PC version, so it's no skin off my teeth. But I totally understand that there'd be a problem with that.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]
s69-5 said:
Fr said:
What was broken? Just wondering. It seemed fine to me.
Not being able to aim more than 15 degrees down and your arrows hitting the door frame or railing or whatever even if your crosshair is perfectly clear of any obstruction.
Your crosshair may be clear but you need to consider your character's position too. It's not really first person, it's over the shoulder. You're placed a bit to the left of the crosshair, so it works fine, if not a little awkwardly.

OT: And now my 360 decides not to connect to the internet. Ugh.
I'll get it on PC during the christmas sales.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
I have to ask, and I ask it nicely and not at all to incite a problem...if turtling makes things too easy and rolling away from getting hit is too easy, do you just take hits to the chest like a boss to make everything nice and hard? : )
I expected that. In my opinion, before the patch, rolling was fine. Maybe a bit too fast with light gear but overall pretty close to perfection. All I'm saying is that if they were to change it (and they shouldn't) they should make it slightly slower.

And there are other options to avoid being hit than just those two. Backstepping, parrying, just moving out of the way... Shield always felt like the least satisfactory out of the bunch and now they're tweaking rolling towards it.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Awesome! Hope you all have fun with the new content.

The nerfs are noticeable but not major, so you should still be able to use most of you're current tactics without much trouble.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I am slightly confused, are these changes something I should expect on PC as well?

Eating away much more stamina on my blocks sounds a little harsh.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
You guys really need to cool off about the Eagle Shield. I mean, let's break down the numbers real quick. The Eagle Shield, the lightest greatshield with the lowest stat requirements--and wooden at that (no other wooden shield offered 100% reduction)--now has 95% physical damage reduction. So, if you're in a fight against an enemy that hits you for 200 damage without blocking, you'll only take 10 damage while blocking. Is that really such a terrible thing? You lose more HP swinging around the Chaos Blade, which is the best katana in the game at 40 DEX.

I also haven't noticed much difference as far as blocking goes. I'd say you maybe lose 10% more stamina per block--not nearly enough to ruin a tank build or those who prefer blocking to rolling. And as far as the spear/rapier turtle builds, while you do lose a very noticeable amount of stamina when you attack from behind the shield, it's nothing the Cloranthy Ring or a Green Blossom can't help you recover from.

You've just gotta adapt to these changes is all. They're really not that bad.

EDIT: And, since I don't think the link or anyone else mentioned it, the 1.06 Patch also fixes the major glitches--BB glitch (both character transfer and duping glitches) and Dragon-Head glitch.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wait a minute it's out? I thought that it wasn't coming out till December. Well, better grab some microsoft points and create a new character.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Your crosshair may be clear but you need to consider your character's position too. It's not really first person, it's over the shoulder. You're placed a bit to the left of the crosshair, so it works fine, if not a little awkwardly.
...I know, that's why its broken and frustrating as hell every time I see my arrow hit the wall or the floor.

Alcamonic said:
I am slightly confused, are these changes something I should expect on PC as well?

The PC has had all these things from day 1 I believe.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]
hazabaza1 said:
...I know, that's why its broken and frustrating as hell every time I see my arrow hit the wall or the floor.
That's not it being broken, that's just you not being able to aim.
Not saying that I can aim in it, but it's working as intended.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Mistilteinn said:
You guys really need to cool off about the Eagle Shield. I mean, let's break down the numbers real quick. The Eagle Shield, the lightest greatshield with the lowest stat requirements--and wooden at that (no other wooden shield offered 100% reduction)--now has 95% physical damage reduction. So, if you're in a fight against an enemy that hits you for 200 damage without blocking, you'll only take 10 damage while blocking. Is that really such a terrible thing? You lose more HP swinging around the Chaos Blade, which is the best katana in the game at 40 DEX.

I also haven't noticed much difference as far as blocking goes. I'd say you maybe lose 10% more stamina per block--not nearly enough to ruin a tank build or those who prefer blocking to rolling. And as far as the spear/rapier turtle builds, while you do lose a very noticeable amount of stamina when you attack from behind the shield, it's nothing the Cloranthy Ring or a Green Blossom can't help you recover from.

You've just gotta adapt to these changes is all. They're really not that bad.

EDIT: And, since I don't think the link or anyone else mentioned it, the 1.06 Patch also fixes the major glitches--BB glitch (both character transfer and duping glitches) and Dragon-Head glitch.
You think the Chaos Blade is the best katana? I don't know if they patched it or not, but last time I checked it was considered one of the worst weapons in the game.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Dansen said:
You think the Chaos Blade is the best katana? I don't know if they patched it or not, but last time I checked it was considered one of the worst weapons in the game.
At 40 DEX with 10 Humanity the Chaos Blade outdamages all of the katanas, and the 20 damage per hit you do to yourself is pretty negligible. It also has the fastest bleed build-up among the katanas, and the second longest reach behind the Washing Pole. While it may have the worst strong attacks, that's pretty insignificant when compared to everything else it excels in.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Alcamonic said:

Indeed, the PC experience was like this out of the box and is still this today. If you decide to get the PC version (I read a post that said it looked worse) do yourself a major favor and head here immediately afterwards: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/top/

Get the newest version of DSFix to increase internal resolution from 720p, remove mouse cursor from screen, increase draw distance (those trees heading into Sen's Fortress? They'll look like trees), add SMAA/FXAA, Ambient Oclussion, have periodic save file backups, and replace custom textures. On the texture replacement bit, I used it to replace the Xbox 360 button icons with PS3 ones, and the letters/numbers with crisper higher quality ones compared to the 720p ones from the console. That pesky mouse problem can be taken care of too.

I really cannot stress enough how much Durante's little wrapper is a godsend, and it's growing and adding new features every day. 60 FPS is possible too, but you need a BEAST computer and it borks some animations. Jumping has a shorter distance, rolls don't travel as far, and sliding down ladders causes you to clip through the ground into the abyss. It's not at all necessary to enjoy the game, though.