Dark Souls Brings Doom and Gloom On October 4

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dark Souls Brings Doom and Gloom On October 4

Forget 2012, the world will probably end in early October 2011 when Namco Bandai releases Dark Souls.

Namco Bandai has whittled down the release of trailer [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Playstation-3/dp/B004NRN5EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307118591&sr=8-1] showing the game's many ways to die. The announcement that Dark Souls will be released on October 4 in North America (October 7 EU) is accompanied by a trailer showing the depressing state of Dark Souls' world.

[video=3365]

The trailer gives us a first taste of the storyline that'll be featured in Dark Souls. One of the game's voice actors reveals that a "dark sign" brands the undead, which are then led to the north and locked away. For some reason, the player is locked away with these pathetic undead husks. Does that mean players are undead?

Another character mentions the Sands Fortress, a proving grounds built by ancient gods. As we can see, Sands Fortress is populated by awe-inspiring bosses. I have no clue know how to avoid the attacks of monsters that huge.

Players also evidently become something called a "Blade of the Dark Moon," which could refer to an organization that needs you to kill these incredibly scary beasts. Overall, the storyline seems a bit deeper than that found in Demon's Souls [http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Souls-Greatest-Hits-Playstation-3/dp/B002AB7TX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307118836&sr=8-1].

It's still tough to tell exactly what's going on in Dark Souls, but it's obviously not very good. After Demon's Souls, I guess we really shouldn't have expected rainbows and unicorns anyway.

Dark Souls will be released for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I wonder if this will mean even two more games, for conquest(pestilence) and famine...

Well it would be weird to fight with a scale has famine, but cool with a bow and arrow has pestilence...

Also just so that anyone knows Death doesnt carry any weapon has the 4th horseman... but he is indeed followed by Hades, or a similiar scythed creature that is under Deaths rule...

Edit: I stupidly read Darksiders instead of dark souls..... dont mind me people.... just stupid person that apparently doesnt pay attention to whats he commenting on...

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
"May the flames guide thee."

Okay, that almost has to be the Maiden (or at least the same actress). Spiritual successor indeed.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I hope it's even better than Demon's Souls. Otherwise, I'll probably just stick to that. Yknow what, I wouldn't mind if it was near identical to Demon's Souls. I just need new worlds to play through... Demon's Souls is too easy once you have all the areas memorized.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
OH...And here I thought I couldn't get more excited for Dark Souls, How wrong I was.

Time to practice for Dark Souls be playing some Demon's Souls.

LadonRyu

May 3, 2011
"which are then led to the north and locked away."

The North. As in, the Land to the North... the Land of Giants... the broken archstone in Demon's Souls...!

I'm guessing how Demon's Souls had a few tie-ins with King's Field, we could expect to see a few in this game. Gotta say, I'm pretty excited, especially if the Maiden in Black shows up again. One of the things I didn't like about Demon's Souls' story was that they had such a great character on their hands with a great premise, but there was no exposition. Hoping she plays a bigger role this time around!

Also: Game of the Year

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
If I hadn't already this trailer would have persuaded me to pre-order the game.

Those boss fights look deliciously difficult.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Lokks really difficult, but cool. The bosses do look really though, too.
This is one of those games that makes me want to own a PS3. Or an Xbox360.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
What's that?

A high quality game that isn't being released in November?

This is madness!

OT: Getting it eventually.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
If I have XBL by October...I'll get it for Xbox, I suppose.
Get it for PS3. :D

So we can play. :)

Also most likely the ps3 version will be slightly better as it's main platform is ps3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Korten12 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Also most likely the ps3 version will be slightly better as it's main platform is ps3.
But Party Chat.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Korten12 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

But Party Chat.
Bleh - that ruins the online then.

hypovolemia

Mar 25, 2011
Ironically, it seems to be a lot brighter than Demon's Souls. That's good, I finished the Tower of Latria today and that place is annoyingly dark. Well, most of the game is, so I definitely consider that an improvement.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get into Demon's Souls again but I've lost all motivation to do so after overwriting my level 54 soldier by accident.

But can't wait for Dark Souls. Some of the enemies in that looked awesome... and hard.