Dark Souls Director Solves Pendant Mystery

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Dark Souls Director Solves Pendant Mystery

The game's mysterious pendant that claims to do nothing actually does nothing.

Dark Souls is not exactly what you'd call a transparent game. After an instruction manual that makes the work of much-talked-about [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Carver] accessory that you can grab at the beginning of the game without any clear use. At long last, the game's director has put to rest any notions about the pendant's hidden utility: The pendant has no in-game use, just as the item description states.

"When it comes to the pendant, I actually had a little bit of an intention to play a prank," says Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Dark Souls. The game's recent DLC package Artorias of the Abyss features a boss named Manus, who ends up losing his sanity over a pendant. Asked whether this was a commentary on the Dark Souls fanbase, Miyazaki denies any conscious associations. "That is a very interesting consideration. But I suppose I did not include the meaning." In short, there's no special meaning behind the player avatar's pendant, or the DLC boss's pendant.

While this news may disappoint hardcore Dark Souls who had a good time speculating about the pendant's potential significance, there's no shame in choosing a starting item because it's cool or mysterious without any tangible benefits. In fact, the pendant still represents one of the most enigmatic aspects of the Dark Souls backstory, even if acquiring it won't necessarily help you best a boss or evade a trap. That, or it could show up in a future game.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/dark-souls-miyazaki-talks-artorias-of-the-abyss]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
...************!

I always picked the pendant, ALWAYS, thinking "Maybe this time I can get the secret?" but NO! GOD DAMN IT! I WAS WASTING MY TIME! I should've just been a respectable member of society and picked the Skeleton Key like everyone else, rather than grabbing the pendant and thinking "ohh, maybe if I drop it here, it'll do something?"

I even thought I had it solved, the mystery, I thought "'Fond memories?' Maybe if I wait until Gwyn and then drop it in my cell, it'll do something." GLAD TO KNOW THAT PLAYTHROUGH WAS SO FRUITFUL! I was playing it all again just for that, just for that! I had gotten just past Quelaag and now... ARGH!

This is evil, this was seriously evil. At least I no longer have a small virtual thing ruling my thoughts and life.

Calumon: Jaaaaack, make me sandwich.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
"But i suppose" Miyazaki, why are you always so vague?, have you ever given a yes or no answer?
He's a very funny guy, i'm not surprised.
I always pick the pendant as my starting gift anyway, fond memories comfort travelers after all.

Jack and Calumon said:
...************!

I always picked the pendant, ALWAYS, thinking "Maybe this time I can get the secret?" but NO! GOD DAMN IT! I WAS WASTING MY TIME! I should've just been a respectable member of society and picked the Skeleton Key like everyone else, rather than grabbing the pendant and thinking "ohh, maybe if I drop it here, it'll do something?"

I even thought I had it solved, the mystery, I thought "'Fond memories?' Maybe if I wait until Gwyn and then drop it in my cell, it'll do something." GLAD TO KNOW THAT PLAYTHROUGH WAS SO FRUITFUL! I was playing it all again just for that, just for that! I had gotten just past Quelaag and now... ARGH!

This is evil, this was seriously evil. At least I no longer have a small virtual thing ruling my thoughts and life.

Calumon: Jaaaaack, make me sandwich.
should've just given it to Snuggly my friend.
Besides maybe someday he will give it a deeper meaning or use, be a good homage in the next Soul's Installment anyway.

Daystar Clarion said:
Wasn't it theorised that the pendant belonged to the Furtive Pygmy and that is was passed down through the generations?

Kind of makes sense that humanity descended from the Pygmy, considering how huge everything is :D
i saw that floating around about 2 months ago actually. People also drew the similarities between the broken pendants and the pendant, they reckon Manus himself was the furtive pygmy.

Dec 14, 2009
Wasn't it theorised that the pendant belonged to the Furtive Pygmy and that is was passed down through the generations?

Kind of makes sense that humanity descended from the Pygmy, considering how huge everything is :D

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I thought the pendant could be traded to the talking crow in Undead Asylum for couple of Souveniers of Reprisals?

Thats a use for it...

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Dark Souls and Demon Souls are the only games where i have had to go find a wiki to figure out some of the mechanics. I love the games to bits but I dont have time to invest 200 hours in figuring everything out. espicially when half of the mechanics don't even work properly.

Still good games though

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Figured as much. Hadn't connected Manus going mad over his pendant with the community obsessing over the starting pendant. Intentional or no that's pretty funny.

I prefer the witch's ring to the pendent for RP though. A ring that formerly belonged to a Daughter of Chaos and it somehow ends up in your possession, makes for a good start.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This makes me laugh. Sounds exactly like something Dark Souls would do. Which is also why I gave up on the game and got rid of it. Still, pretty funny.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wow. Gabe, you've got competition for the title of "King Troll of the gaming world"

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
poiumty said:
The pendant thing wasn't going anywhere really. It's funny how people have investigated that with the thoroughness of a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist. For those interested, scroll down to "speculation": http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Pendant
That's pretty hilarious... by the time you get halfway down to the "updates" it starts sounding like an audiolog from Fallout where the writer is slowly going more and more insane with each entry.

If anything I reckon the news that this Pendant does nothing will actually fuel the conspiracy theories, they'll think it's a double bluff or something.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Good to know. I picked up the pendant with an experimental type character and it clearly did absolutely nothing. When the DLC came out, my brain made the link, they theory, the scenario that maybe, just maybe, the original intent/purpose of the pendant was to access that 'Otherworld', but, much like it, it was cut from the final release.

I was still waiting for a proper answer, though. I guess this is it, then. I'm very glad I went for the Master Key in my first/main walkthrough. I may have done some things backwards, but the sense of exploration and achievement was tremendous. Awesome experience, all in all.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
ocelot0222222 said:
Figured as much. Hadn't connected Manus going mad over his pendant with the community obsessing over the starting pendant. Intentional or no that's pretty funny.

I prefer the witch's ring to the pendent for RP though. A ring that formerly belonged to a Daughter of Chaos and it somehow ends up in your possession, makes for a good start.
There's just one use for the Witch's Ring that blew my mind when I was first able to put it to use... out of nowhere, it changed my game experience! That was quite awesome... and sad... and impressive.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Years from now, that pendant will have its own fan base. At least, I think that's how the internet works.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I reckon there is a reason for 'The Pendant', or rather was, but then the DLC was released to make money and it's meaning was perverted.