Dark Souls easier than Demon's Souls?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think Dark was harder, but I did go into Demon's with about 300 hours of experience in Dark, so...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I found the first hour or so of Demon's Souls a bit harder than most games.

It was new and I was just expecting it to be yet another hack and slash. Once i'd stopped running in like a fool it was pretty easy.

Dark Souls was not difficult at all.

If I remember rightly I didn't die all that many times and the few times I did it was my fault not the games difficulty.

The fights were simple though.

Overall I didn't find either of them as difficult as people make out.

TheAbidingDude

Aug 18, 2012
I don't know. In a way, Demon's felt easier to me, possibly because (as others have mentioned) it was more exploitable. That said, there are instances in Dark that just feel really cheap. As in, "I actively wish death on whoever thought this was in some way a good idea." kind of cheap. To illustrate; In my case, I beat Demon's about 3 weeks after getting it. I have yet to beat Dark, and I've invested a good deal of time in it. I love both games, but to me, the difference becomes that in Demon's I could die and say, "I deserve that". In Dark, I die, and I'm genuinely confused as to what exactly I could have done differently. But maybe my approach just isn't right for Dark.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i'm actually quite surprised at the lack of flame here... i kinda anticipated at least a few posts like that, but so far everyone's been civilized and just relating their own experiences... i feel so proud ^^

i saw several posters talk about how the second game you play will be the easier one since they're basically the same game in a different world, and i have to agree that that makes a lot of sense. though even so Dark Souls feels, oh it's whole, easier. or at least less punishing as another user pointed out. the regenerating healing item and the Bonfires are prime examples of that. hell, it makes farming incredibly easy in some areas because you just make a quick stop at the fire and then go re-kill whatever you're farming and repeat. a much shorter process than Demon's Souls.

i should also mention that i nabbed myself the Drake's Sword as soon as i found that Dragon, and that i'm playing the (in my opinion) BROKEN as hell Soldier class and primarily use spears. that sword VASTLY out-powers any of my other weaponry, and the ability to use a spear and block at the same time is rather useful. though i've clad myself in rather heavy armour (something i rarely, if ever, do) making it pointless to dodge at all. (for some reason i always forget that NOT holding the movement stick will make me backstep)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Demon's Souls was tuned for being at half health most of the time, and making full health a significant advantage. You could also stock up on virtually endless amounts of grasses, essentially giving you unlimited health and mana. As such, you could spam the strongest spells without consequence. Dark Souls is tuned to fuck you over with 100% health. Being cursed, and effectively having as much health as in Demon's Souls, is PAINFUL in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is more forgiving at the start, but it's harder later on.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Demon's Souls has a lot more bullshit moments, unlike Dark Souls which at least allows you to get through most encounters with a bit of blocking and rolling. The dragon bridge in Boletaria 1-2 is particularly bad, since it's impossible to get across before the dragon toasts you even if you time it perfectly. And you have to do that multiple times, with no shortcuts.

However, most bosses can be easily exploited in Demon's due to their complex arenas stopping them from reaching you, allowing you to fire off endless Soul Arrows until they're dead.

The bosses are much more agressive in Dark Souls, with no places to hide and very few openings to heal, unlike Demon's Souls' ones which sometimes randomly run off for a minute and ignore you (one of the Maneaters' few saving graces). The one boss like that in Demon's Souls (Flamelurker) is much harder, because of his shockwave attacks and the fact that you'll probably fight him on half health.

And as the poster above says, Dark Souls is harder later on. Its difficulty curve is better because it increases more linearly (although the learning curve is steep at the start), unlike Demon's Souls where you can play most of the levels in any order and it jumps about all over the place. Generally, the first level of a world is quite easy, then the second is annoyingly hard due to a lack of shortcuts and the last level is quite easy because most of the Archdemons are puzzle bosses rather than proper ones. The difficulty generally increases with the world number too.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Demon's Souls has a lot more bullshit moments, unlike Dark Souls which at least allows you to get through most encounters with a bit of blocking and rolling. The dragon bridge in Boletaria 1-2 is particularly bad, since it's impossible to get across before the dragon toasts you even if you time it perfectly. And you have to do that multiple times, with no shortcuts.
Nah man. You only have to do it twice, you can go underneath after you cross the bridge the first time, then move all the way to the last stretch and then run it. I admit it's very hard to avoid getting burned, but it's possible.

The red drake in Dark Souls is much more bullshit, even with max fire resistance he can one-shot you in an instant, at least the bosses gave a me a chance.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Personally, I found the penalty for dying in Demon's Souls to be a lot harsher, if similar. Losing your corporeal form (And thus having your max HP cut down) just made the game much more of a *****.

However, I also think that whichever game you play first will seem more difficult than the successor. If you beat one of them and move on to the other, well, then needless to say, you'll be more prepared for what's to come in that game. I think if I hadn't beaten Demon's Souls a dozen times before I played Dark Souls, I would've doubtless had a tougher time.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I think Dark was harder, but I did go into Demon's with about 300 hours of experience in Dark, so...
Same here, and that sums up the debate, really.
Whichever you play first is the harder one, because you have fuck all understanding of the mechanics and areas, and the one you play afterwards is far easier because you have a firm grounding in the mechanics.

Naturally, the first playthrough is the hardest, regardless of which you play first, and all subsequent playthroughs only make the game easier.

Also, DeS had very few ways of skipping areas, meaning that you had to fight most things in your way. Area 5-2 is infamous amongst the community for that very reason.
However, in DkS, shortcuts are everywhere. Hell, taking the Master Key as a starting gift essentially allows you to skip 3 bosses and 2 areas and 2/3 of Blighttown, the bane of newbies.

In other words, while both are difficult, the difficulty is assuaged somewhat by repeated playthroughs, and numerous shortcuts in the case of the sequel.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I think Demon's is harder.
I think the problem is just the fewer number of checkpoints; a bonfire was never really that far away, whereas in Demon's...the fact you have to start right from the beginning is a killer.
Funny thing is, I'm so terrified of dying in Demon's I've become such a good player haha. Almost finished it after about 3 years haha, and I haven't died to any of the bosses. Yaaay:3.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
To me at least, they were difficult for two different reasons. I found Demon Souls enemies much more aggressive, tougher, stronger. Dark Souls, enemies were more numerous and they surround you. Also the environment of Dark Souls itself was more of a threat. In Demon's, I can really only count on 1 hand how many times I fell to my death because really, there wasn't enough places that used narrow walkways to be a problem (Latria-2, Valley of Defilement). Dark Souls on the other hand, I want to say feels like 80% of my deaths were falling. Every area has narrow walkways that if you're unlucky, you will fall, and you'll die.

I definitely died more in Dark Souls, but very rarely to enemies. Demon's Souls had the tougher enemies/bosses.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Jimmy T. Malice said:
It's actually very possible to make it across the bridge without being burned. I've done it multiple times. You just have to start running as soon as he makes his first pass.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
It really depends. I would say that in Demon's Soul you had to make sure that you had a proper load out.

Both games could be broken in their own particular. I'll just go with the general opinion and say you will find the game you played first to be the most difficult.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Just figure out the farthest point you can stand on without being burned and make a mad dash the moment the dragon swoops down. It's actually really easy not to get roasted. All it comes down to is timing.

Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Personally, I found the penalty for dying in Demon's Souls to be a lot harsher, if similar. Losing your corporeal form (And thus having your max HP cut down) just made the game much more of a *****.
It actually makes things quite a bit easier for the sneaky backstabber type of character. You don't make any noise whatsoever in Soul Form; it acts, quite literally, like a permanent Slumbering Dragon Ring.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Having replayed both back to back fairly recently, I'd say Dark Souls has harder bosses while Demon's Souls normal enemies are much harder. Demon's Souls' normal enemies move faster, are more likely to have quicker or unblockable attacks, are placed in areas where their weaknesses' aren't something you can easily take advantage of, ect ect. The bosses on the other hand are slower, less aggresive, and are often times more of a set piece boss. Dark Souls enemies are slower and just less threatening in general where-as the bosses are faster, more aggressive, and are less prone to gimmicks. Though the ability to summon NPCs to help can mitigate their increase in difficulty, I'd still say Dark Souls bosses are usually tougher.

If I had to rank overall difficulty... I'd probably say Demon's Souls is easier, just because of how abundant Grass can be and it's quicker use time then Estus.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Greets!

I havn't played demon's souls and will most likely not, since I am currently an exclusively pc gamer. I've found Dark Souls to reward patience and what I would consider to be safe play.

When going into a new area, I would wiki the area to see if there are any specific points to remember or monsters to look out for, then I just keep an eye open. The specific wiki I use is the Wikidot wiki, I dont bother with the area maps themselves. This means I only know what enemies or specific things to look out for are, not where exactly where they are located.

I then enter the new area in a hollowed state and proceed with as little loose souls and humanity as possible, as well as be as cautious as possible against enemies I havn't fought before. Once i get the hang of the area, I'll then start to do things in a faster and riskier way. Only exceptions are bosses themselves, I wiki up on their attack moves then engage them with as much reckless skill I can muster, until I get a hang of their patterns, weaknesses and exploits.

For example, first time I took on ceaseless discharge, I found that I could get him stuck into the same attack over and over when I stood near the body with the clothing that he triggers on. Due to the predictable patterns of attack, I just kept on hitting him when he threw his arms at me. Never even got hit once.

Similarly, I'll only ever try to pull at most small groups of enemies I can flatten all at once with one swing of a zweihander. Otherwise, most enemies in the game are predictable and respond poorly to someone who is patient. The only enemy I've had trouble with thus far as been the awesomely epic fight I had against the griffon thing that protects the sancturary for the DLC.

While it did only take me three tries, the fight with this griffon took me upwards of two hours due to its unpredictable attack patterns and crazy reflexes. The only real reason I got him in the end is that I figured out how to stun him with a zweihander, although it was damn risky for me to do. It paid off however and I felt better for it.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Yes, and no!

In the DS series, I see two conditions that can really explain the difference in difficulty faced - comparatively - in both games.

First off, for any Demon's Souls veteran, Dark Souls might seem easier because they know what to expect. You've already played or beaten Demon's Souls, and since both games are very similar, you were no longer a novice playing the second game, and were able to get a hang of it quicker.

Second off, you just found the game mechanics of Demon's Souls more difficult for you. You see, both games have slight differences that make them harder or easier depending on the player. For example, Demon's Souls was much more linear; whereas in Dark Souls, it was a Metroidvania game, and easy to get lost in. That's one point to Dark Souls.

However...

Demon's Souls was much more unforgiving when it came to check points - it was easier to reach check points in Dark Souls - and that right there could have made all the difference on what you personally found to be more troublesome dealing with. One point to Demon's Souls. Personally - at first - I also felt like Dark Souls was much more easier because of that reason alone. The check point system became way too troublesome for me to deal with, and that's what actually led me to quit the game. As for Dark Souls, I felt a lot more at ease with the system - farming at every bonfire I came across - therefore the game seemed a lot more easier.

That's how I felt... up until I decided to give Demon's Souls a second try, and realized the truth.

Honestly - after giving Demon's Souls a second try - I do believe Dark Souls is actually harder!

The enemies are harder. The bosses were harder. And - as mentioned - it was just so easy to go the wrong way (since there was no clear path) and get lost.

All Demon's Souls had was a few feature that I found more irritating, and that's really it.