Dark Souls II Director "Hasn't Thought About" PS4 or Xbox One Ports

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Dark Souls II Director "Hasn't Thought About" PS4 or Xbox One Ports

The Dark Souls II team hasn't decided whether the game will come to next-gen consoles or not.

Will Dark Souls II ever come to PS4 and Xbox One? Nobody knows... Not even DS2 Director Yui Tanimura. According to Tanimura, next-gen consoles aren't even on his team's radar.

When asked if developer From Software plans to use the Dark Souls II PC port to bring the game to next-gen consoles, Tanimura told Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/could-dark-souls-ii-go-next-gen-we-have-not-put-any-thought-into-this-yet-says-from-software/] the Dark Souls II team "hasn't put any thought into this yet."

When asked why the team Dark Souls II chose to work with the older hardware, Tanimura said there was a lot of good material left over from the original Dark Souls they wanted to take advantage of:

"At the start of development, we felt that there was still a lot of potential that remained unused in Dark Souls," said Tanimura. "I hope this can be seen with the demos and footage that we have released."

Tanimura also said that making the game for Xbox 360 and PS3 would allow the team to "deliver the game to fans as soon as possible."

Dark Souls II hits Xbox 360 and PS3 March 11.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/could-dark-souls-ii-go-next-gen-we-have-not-put-any-thought-into-this-yet-says-from-software/]

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
"Lot of old material they wanted to take advantage of", so basically you just don't want the console version to look like the built from the ground up PC version.

Basically you want PC users to forever gloat on the many legs they have to current stand on because you didn't think about it, gotcha.

Game came out on the consoles first, second gets built on PC first and then no consideration given for next gen which is now current gen and has been since Nov.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
"Lot of old material they wanted to take advantage of", so basically you just don't want the console version to look like the built from the ground up PC version.

Basically you want PC users to forever gloat on the many legs they have to current stand on because you didn't think about it, gotcha.

Game came out on the consoles first, second gets built on PC first and then no consideration given for next gen which is now current gen and has been since Nov.
Really? How about GTA which started on PCs and now PC gamers have to wait for the latest port and have been waiting for ports ever since i believe the third? Do you really want to ***** at which version gets made where and then ported? Seriously? How about all the other games which are made for console first and then shoddily ported to PC in some cases? How about games which are never ported to begin with? Like Red Dead Redemption to give you an example.

Also, how exactly do you think the PC version is going to differ from the Console version? Do you really think Dark Souls 2 will be totally different on PC because they decided to actually develop a PC version directly instead of hastily porting the console version once more?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Good. Let's have Dark Souls 3 built from the ground up on a shiny, new next-gen engine. While I would have loved DS2 on my PS4 (imagine the lighting!) it would still be just a last-gen game made to look better but never quite reaching its full potential. Plus I kept my PS3 around for this so I'm super excited just to have more Dark Souls more than anything else!

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
A-D. said:
Really? How about GTA which started on PCs and now PC gamers have to wait for the latest port and have been waiting for ports ever since i believe the third? Do you really want to ***** at which version gets made where and then ported? Seriously? How about all the other games which are made for console first and then shoddily ported to PC in some cases? How about games which are never ported to begin with? Like Red Dead Redemption to give you an example.

Also, how exactly do you think the PC version is going to differ from the Console version? Do you really think Dark Souls 2 will be totally different on PC because they decided to actually develop a PC version directly instead of hastily porting the console version once more?
GTA was done the same exact year for both console and PC I'll have you know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(video_game)

You do realise how exactly the PC version is going to be treated next to the console ports?, you do realise exactly what is going to be gloated as usual.

You also sound quite irritated, did I hit a nerve per chance?.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
A-D. said:

GTA was done the same exact year for both console and PC I'll have you know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(video_game)

You do realise how exactly the PC version is going to be treated next to the console ports?, you do realise exactly what is going to be gloated as usual.

You also sound quite irritated, did I hit a nerve per chance?.
Except GTA was made on PCs first, even if released simultaniously, which doesnt really change much about that fact.

Or how about Oblivion which actually was ported to PC, hence the interface. How about Skyrim? Or how about how Dark Souls was ported to PC, warts and all? How about Mass Effect? Jade Empire? But yes, pointing out how Console to PC ports are common and pointing out a severe lack of ports in some cases "hit a nerve"..sure, if you want to believe that i will let you believe that.

Let me ask you this, how often are Console games ported to PC? How often are PC games ported to console? You might see a difference in numbers, a sizeable difference. Ironic that there wont be much of a difference for Dark Souls 2, they might make it on PC and then scale it down on consoles, just as how console ports are usually slightly scaled up when they are ported to PC. I havent seen much outcry when this happened before.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
im completely ok with Dark souls 2 being made on the ps3 only, but if maybe we could have it on the genkai streaming service later for ps4 i'd be sooooo down with that.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Good.
Hope they learned their lesson and won't make blighttown 2.0 though.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I'm sorry, do mine eyes deceive me, or are you actually a console enthusiast complaining about how your personal computer colleague have it made, how they get preferential treatment over your personal platform of choice, in the current day and age?

I must warn that you may have accidentally phased into a reality entirely different from your original one. What you may consider to be a sort of Bizzaro Earth. No need to thank me for this amazing revelation! But if and when you find a way to return home, please drop me a line so I could come and visit your wonderful world.

Haw haw, what prank! I hope no offense was taken, for non was meant to be. And if you take my remarks to be inappropriate I sincerely plead forgiveness.

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
This really shouldn't be surprising given that they've been saying this since back in April [http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/dark_souls_2/news/dark_souls_2_will_not_come_to_next-gen_platforms.html]. Honestly I'd rather have a fully finished game for current gen, than a next gen game with the same amount of cut content as Dark Souls. Plus they've hopefully ironed out the bugs for the PC version this time, but either way I can't wait.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Allan Foe said:
Ahem =P

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

Though you shouldn't really put the answer in the spoiler, you'll also have to read the new COC to make sure you don't get caught out.

I actually game on PC for the time being while I'm trying to save up for the likes of a PS4 and Wii U (new PC parts I want are already more expensive than a Wii U+games), I was just more concerned for people with PS4's and Xbones to actually get a new current gen version since we know the PC version is the original they made for DSII and therfore would make sense to also place it onto the current gens since they are new and it would still mean money to be made.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Allan Foe said:
Ahem =P

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

Though you shouldn't really put the answer in the spoiler, you'll also have to read the new COC to make sure you don't get caught out.

I actually game on PC for the time being while I'm trying to save up for the likes of a PS4 and Wii U (new PC parts I want are already more expensive than a Wii U+games), I was just more concerned for people with PS4's and Xbones to actually get a new current gen version since we know the PC version is the original they made for DSII and therfore would make sense to also place it onto the current gens since they are new and it would still mean money to be made.
Not to mention the PS4 and the XBone are much more similar to PC's according to sony and microsoft. a Simple copy and paste of the PC version sounds clearly possible. I know some fans want a fleshed out version of the current gen MORE, but hey, ps4 and xbone are already short on exclusives, id be tickled just to get a new game for my ps4.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Allan Foe said:
I was honestly trying to phrase it like a light hearted jab rather than something that could bait you into a confrontation. If I failed on that account, the fool that is I will get what he rightfully deserves for his conceit.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
It seems like PC would be a good testbed for the latest gen, since they share a common architecture and patching has less technical and bureaucratic difficulties. Plus on consoles there are no programs similar to Early Access that allow for Alpha and Beta testing were your free testers actually give you money for a very early WIP product.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Darmy647 said:
Not to mention the PS4 and the XBone are much more similar to PC's according to sony and microsoft. a Simple copy and paste of the PC version sounds clearly possible. I know some fans want a fleshed out version of the current gen MORE, but hey, ps4 and xbone are already short on exclusives, id be tickled just to get a new game for my ps4.
That's not really how programming works.

One does not simply copy and paste cross-platform, especially not when interacting with low-level libraries (that aren't even available on other platforms) like in game development.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Can't see why they put it on the older hardware? The massive massive install base for one. They would literally hurt themselves by putting it on the XBone and PS4 at this point.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Hagi said:
Darmy647 said:
That's not really how programming works.

One does not simply copy and paste cross-platform, especially not when interacting with low-level libraries (that aren't even available on other platforms) like in game development.
I was referring mostly to the graphics. With the current gens relation to pc I think itd be super easy to do the same on the ps4 and xbone. The problem would be if gamers are ok with it not full throttling the title with the current gens output.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Darmy647 said:
I was referring mostly to the graphics. With the current gens relation to pc I think itd be super easy to do the same on the ps4 and xbone. The problem would be if gamers are ok with it not full throttling the title with the current gens output.
Still not as simple as that. I don't know coding, but it can't be all that easy to try to develop a game for the new consoles, as that'a a whole new adjustment for developers to work with, and a lot of unforeseen bugs and problems ahead.

Besides, just because the companies say these consoles are similar to PC's doesn't mean all that much, since PC's come in so many different varieties. I'd be more curious to know just how similar they are.

OT: Good for From Software. It's a much better decision if you want to get that game out as quickly as possible, and as best in quality as possible, in using similar software that you are very familiar with. I also suspect that is part of the reason GTA V went to the older generation first, with another being that there is the bigger player base. And Rockstar was rewarded for that and many other reasons, with over 29 million copies sold.

I suspect we will still have the majority of great games on the older consoles verses the newer ones for this year and the next, so I'm still keeping mine. And I'll probably buy an Xbox One after they make one without the Kinect and replace the current UI with something better, but especially when it comes to games, no reason to upgrade now (whether it is an upgrade is debatable).

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:

FromSoft is a small company. The last thing I want them doing is obsessing over unnecessary ports and improving graphics.