Dark Souls II Hi-Fidelity Screenshots Removed From Steam

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dark Souls II Hi-Fidelity Screenshots Removed From Steam

It looks like the Steam version of Dark Souls II will share graphical parity with the console versions.

Dark Souls II is a game's Steam page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/11097-Dark-Souls-II-Review-Dark-Souls-Refined] with images more akin to how the game looks on consoles.

Reportedly, the retail console version of Dark Souls II featured the same outdated screenshots on the back of the box, suggesting the last-minute nature of the changes. Earlier, a Forbes source was quoted as saying "I strongly suspect that they were focusing heavily on delivering a top-notch experience on PC and underestimated the challenges the new systems would pose on PS3 / Xbox360."

The build of the game shown at E3 2013 featured a lot of additional graphical features, such as a lighting system that seemed to plunge the world of Drangleic into deep darkness, traversable only with the help of a trusty torch. Sadly, it looks like we will never be able to experience this version of the game (until, of course, PC modders start getting busy).

Dark Souls 2 will be released for PC on 25 April, and while it may have graphical parity with the console versions, it will support a much higher range of resolutions, all the way up to 4k.

Source: IncGamers [http://www.incgamers.com/2014/03/dark-souls-2-images-fancier-graphics-removed-steam]

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Well, at least they are striving to make the store page honest. More than can be said about some other games on Steam.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
It looks like the Steam version of Dark Souls II will share graphical parity with the console versions.
Well, at least until (I'm assuming) someone comes along and makes a mod for it enabling such features. Or not. Either way the game is prettier and runs more smooth than Dark Souls did so whichever works for me.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Don't put hi-fidelity shots if it does not show what the PC version will be. I hate deception.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
What exactly are we talking about aside from resolution?

I mean if DS 2 has had to be scaled down...well that's annoying, if you have to watch yourself due that many times it might as well look pretty

gittonsxv

Mar 29, 2011
wait what?
this makes little sense, why would they delay the game a month for pc if the graphics are going to be the same?
i thought that month delay was to optimize the game enough that the original super graphics would not be too heavy, they do know that pcs can handle much much better graphics than the consoles right?
or is the engine so wonky that they just can not get a good frame rate even on pc but then again how did they make the trailers and beta gameplay if that was the case...

this is a very odd game release.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
If it's the same "vertical slice of gameplay" bullshit that they pulled with Watch_dogs then it's pretty annoying.

I know From doesn't have the same shitty reputation that Ubisoft does, but it's still pretty disappointing.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
At least ensure that it will be 60 fps. An action game where timing is paramount simply cannot be 30 or below, especially on the PC.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
This makes me wonder if I wasn't right about the issue earlier...I remember hearing that during Beta Tests for Dark Souls 2, the Beta kept the same lighting system that was shown in the promo material. However, the testers found that the system made the world too dark, and that even with torches it was hard to see some things. I assumed then that From just scaled the system back, and from what this report says, that seems to be the case.

For those wondering why the PC version wouldn't feature something more graphical superior...Dark Souls 1 was From's first PC game ever, and it kind of shows that they were (possibly are) not very familiar with all the systems in place. They may have had more time with this, but I think From is still a company that is primarily familiar with console development, and that it may take one or two more tries to get it all "right"

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I don't quite understand. Technically the only difference between low and high resolution textures is the amount of VRAM required to store it all. Likewise, they are supporting up to 4k but can't get the game to run as intended at 1080p? I don't know what to make of this.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I have a massive grin on my face right now. I can't wait to see how the Dark Souls fans come justify this. (if it is true.) I'm expecting a lot of denial and "gameplay is all that matters." arguments.

Though I do hope it isn't true. I don't hate dark souls, I just really don't like the fanbase.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
And now I won't be letting them "get away with it" anymore, and can officially file this under the same bullshit Ubisoft was pushing with Watch Dogs.

Shame. I rather liked From Software.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I wonder if anyone who pre-ordered the PC version under the impression the removed screenshots were legit would seek a refund and be given one? I believe Steam will refund pre-orders.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Clive Howlitzer said:
I wonder if anyone who pre-ordered the PC version under the impression the removed screenshots were legit would seek a refund and be given one? I believe Steam will refund pre-orders.
you can automatically refund pre-orders on steam now

just click a button and done

i blame those console peasants for this blasphemy! i say the entire master race should unite, hopefully under a charismatic leader and find a way to get rid of the console problem, a final solution one might say

also i probably should get my master race credentials revoked because the game still looks pretty damn good in those screens on the steam page

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Vault101 said:

I mean if DS 2 has had to be scaled down...well that's annoying, if you have to watch yourself due that many times it might as well look pretty
YOU'RE BACK!

*ahem* Yeah, the problem here is not simply resolution, the problem is that earlier builds showed advanced lighting and shadowing techniques that actually made it look MUCH better than Dark Souls 1, but presumably at the last minute, the actual game looked closer than Dark Souls 1, without the pretty shadows and such that they showed on early build videos.

Everyone was hoping that the PC version would still look as pretty as those vids did, but now that they removed the early build screenshots, everyone's hopes is suddendly shattered to know that it'll take a graphical downgrade.

It's a bummer, but personally I don't mind, I liked DS1's graphics anyways, if 2 looks like that or slightly better, I definitely don't mind.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
Vault101 said:

YOU'RE BACK!

*ahem* Yeah, the problem here is not simply resolution, the problem is that earlier builds showed advanced lighting and shadowing techniques that actually made it look MUCH better than Dark Souls 1, but presumably at the last minute, the actual game looked closer than Dark Souls 1, without the pretty shadows and such that they showed on early build videos.

Everyone was hoping that the PC version would still look as pretty as those vids did, but now that they removed the early build screenshots, everyone's hopes is suddendly shattered to know that it'll take a graphical downgrade.

It's a bummer, but personally I don't mind, I liked DS1's graphics anyways, if 2 looks like that or slightly better, I definitely don't mind.
Unless there is some legit technical reason why would they graphically down grade? Unlike watchdogs it's already out on consoles (is it on ps3?)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Vault101 said:

They disabled a dynamic lighting system. Graphically, this makes the game look a little off and less appealing (and in spots you see some terrible textures that range from poor to unfinished, which were obviously meant to be hidden by shadows.

Gameplay wise, there's a whole mechanic involving lighting torches thats entirely useless now, with myriad leftover artefacts related to it. The most obvious of these are light sensitive enemies, who are now reacting to lighting that isn't visibly there. As well as the targeting system randomly failing to simulate enemies hiding in shadows that are no longer visually represented.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Seth Carter said:
Vault101 said:

They disabled a dynamic lighting system. Graphically, this makes the game look a little off and less appealing (and in spots you see some terrible textures that range from poor to unfinished, which were obviously meant to be hidden by shadows.

Gameplay wise, there's a whole mechanic involving lighting torches thats entirely useless now, with myriad leftover artefacts related to it. The most obvious of these are light sensitive enemies, who are now reacting to lighting that isn't visibly there. As well as the targeting system randomly failing to simulate enemies hiding in shadows that are no longer visually represented.
Pretty much my thoughts. It's not just a case of "turning off the pretty graphics" as much as it is the removal of the dynamic lighting system as a whole. You can pretty clearly see in game that some things just aren't quite looking like or working like they were originally intended to, and it's not just a graphical change. Some of the mechanics have been emulated, like the lock on issues in darkened/shadowed areas or the light sensitive enemies but that's about as deep as it goes.

Still, it's a great game and if you liked the first game(s) then you'll also find a lot to like in DS2. The graphical and systems downgrade shouldn't stop anyone from experiencing it.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Elfgore said:
I have a massive grin on my face right now. I can't wait to see how the Dark Souls fans come justify this. (if it is true.) I'm expecting a lot of denial and "gameplay is all that matters." arguments.

Though I do hope it isn't true. I don't hate dark souls, I just really don't like the fanbase.
What exactly is it you don't like? I can tell you, from the inside, it's about as good a fan base as I've been a part of. We get characterised as "elitist" yet if you need help and put a query out there you will get a number of detailed, helpful, friendly responses. Compare that to so many other games (like WoW for instance) where daring to ask a question instantly marks you as a worthless noob to be sarcastically misled at best, and randomly abused at worst. Also, if you look at some old Souls threads, I think you'll find that if there's hostility in there it's usually being brought in from outside, from one of a number of passionate haters who believe their taste is objectively right for some reason.

And for my part, I genuinely don't give a flying fuck about graphics and never have, which is why I was content to buy the PS3 version in the first place. I guess PC Master Racers are likely to be annoyed though.