Dark Souls II Rejects DLC, Delivers "A Full Game"

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Dark Souls II Rejects DLC, Delivers "A Full Game"

Dark Souls II promises not to be a launch pad for microtransactions - once you buy the game, you've got the whole package.

Downloadable content is a fact of the modern games industry, but that doesn't mean that everybody has to buy into it. Dark Souls II developer From Software, for example, has no interest in selling any post-launch DLC for its upcoming gruesome death simulator. The developer doesn't want to hold anything back: just like in the old days, buying the game means you get the entire experience. And free-to-play? Not happening - but maybe later.

"For Dark Souls II, we don't even expect any additional downloadable content because we want to deliver a full game, the full experience, to fans who purchase the package from day one," says Dark Souls II producer Takeshi Miyazoe. "We did do additional content for Dark Souls, but generally downloadable content for Dark Souls II is not really being considered. Buy the package and you'll get the full experience, and you'll have as much fun as anybody else."

From Software seems to have a plan, and they're sticking to it. Miyazoe shot down any hopes for a Vita installment, and laughed at the idea of Dark Souls coming to Nintendo consoles. "I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls," he said.

Despite this old-school philosophy, Miyazoe says that From Software is open to free-to-play, but it won't be happening for a while: not until the developer can figure out how to do it well. "Pay per death? That would be terrible ... Spending a couple dollars on certain items does not help the experience." It's still a young franchise, though, so the option might come further down the road.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/features/dark-souls-producer-says-pc-version-was-rushed-problems-were-expected/]

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's kind of depressing that you have to advertise not screwing over the consumer as a selling point.

But either way, I'm excited to get my hands on this game. Even more so if they're putting some effort in the pc port.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, now this is definitely on my 'to watch' list.

And now I've just realised how depressing it is that an announcement of 'No DLC' is now newsworthy.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Can From get any better at this point, really? I'm not opposed to buying quality DLC packs like Artorias of the Abyss as long as the original game doesn't suffer during development.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
FROM, you don't need to convince me you're the real deal. But dammit if you don't keep trying!! Bravo.

This is something I'm happy to hear about. I've never been a fan of DLC and the only place I tolerate microtransactions at all are in FTP games.

With no DLC planned I think this game is going to be quite the beefy experience in terms of content.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Hell yeah! Was a little worried about that myself, now that they're pumping more money into it.
Not too fond of the crack toward the Wii U though, but whatever, I have a PS3 already. xD Now I'm super pumped for this game.

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
Even though I hated the previous game, I'll be getting that one if they live up to their promises and deliver it on PC. Let's hope they'll do both and succeed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I admit the videos I've been seeing of Dark Souls 2 have gotten be worried about the game being a little too easy...but the fuck with it, even if it is it'll still be a fun ride. *Draws sword* so come at me From, hit me with everything you've got. And since you're not doing DLC, HIT ME WITH EVERYTHING IN ONE BLOW!

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
erttheking said:
I admit the videos I've been seeing of Dark Souls 2 have gotten be worried about the game being a little too easy...but the fuck with it, even if it is it'll still be a fun ride. *Draws sword* so come at me From, hit me with everything you've got. And since you're not doing DLC, HIT ME WITH EVERYTHING IN ONE BLOW!
Hi there. If you want to keep the challenge high you can do what I and others did, complete the game on level 10 (or 5, or 15), never levelling once you make a low level build.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I think this makes sense for Dark Souls to stick to the old school business model. That is, assuming they don't go overboard with marketing like everyone feared they would with their "guns blazing" statement.

I think this is what AAA gaming needs more of. Not necessarily the difficulty of Dark Souls, but the business approach. Smaller, focused budgets for specific audiences, without the need to go crazy with DLC.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I'm actually kind of sad that there will be no DLC/Expansion for DSII at a later date. Artorias content was fucking magnificent, and the vanilla game certainly didn't feel as though it had had content chopped from it.

So, was hoping that maybe in a year or two a nice extra chunk would be released, but i do understand their sentiment, and applaud them for it.

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
Can't it just be a play of words?

As in DLC =/= Expansion. So there might be a expansion coming out later? Or they just release it updates for free like in The Witcher serie...

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
WWmelb said:
I'm actually kind of sad that there will be no DLC/Expansion for DSII at a later date. Artorias content was fucking magnificent, and the vanilla game certainly didn't feel as though it had had content chopped from it.

So, was hoping that maybe in a year or two a nice extra chunk would be released, but i do understand their sentiment, and applaud them for it.
It was very good.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah. "We're not making a casual game, and we aren't going to screw you with needless DLC." Okay great. Wonderful sentiments. Now stop talking and get back to cracking the whip on the guys making the game. GAME!! NOW!!!! AAAARRRRGGHHH!!!!

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
It's crazy to me how bad the reputation for DLC has become in the current climate. I get the dislike of microtransactions in a lot of cases. It would make sense to not want microtransaction DLC for Dark Souls, especially in the form of say weapons or souls.

HOWEVER, DLC is a blanket term for any downloadable content, which includes downloadable expansions. In my experience with DLC, I've had great times with expansions like Point Lookout, Undead Nightmare, the GTA IV expansions, Blood Dragon, BFBC2 Vietnam, and even Artorias FFS!

Which is why it kind of sucks to hear them denounce the idea of an expansion. It's like chopping off your nose to spite your face. Even though DLC can be great, you're going to forgo all of it because microtransactions...

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
sethisjimmy said:
It's crazy to me how bad the reputation for DLC has become in the current climate. I get the dislike of microtransactions in a lot of cases. It would make sense to not want microtransaction DLC for Dark Souls, especially in the form of say weapons or souls.

HOWEVER, DLC is a blanket term for any downloadable content, which includes downloadable expansions. In my experience with DLC, I've had great times with expansions like Point Lookout, Undead Nightmare, the GTA IV expansions, Blood Dragon, BFBC2 Vietnam, and even Artorias FFS!

Which is why it kind of sucks to hear them denounce the idea of an expansion. It's like chopping off your nose to spite your face. Even though DLC can be great, you're going to forgo all of it because microtransactions...
They were saying similar things when they released Dark Souls I. Just because they have no plans or resources devoted to it now, doesn't mean they won't actually consider it a while after the game is released, if it's successful. That's how it was with the Artorias DLC, and everyone loved that, so this actually seems like a sound course of action, from both FROMs and the consumers point of view.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Wasn't expecting this news, but I'm glad that it won't have any dlc and cut content from the game.

On a related note, does someone know if the PC version will be delayed or it's coming out in the same time as the console ones ?

Thanks.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
I think From is one of those companies that sticks to their principles, most of their games hardly have any DLCs attached to it (I'm looking at you Armored Core Verdict Day... you and your Comp Voices and Pilot model DLCs) and they always seem to have properly budgeted games (which is what a lot of Game Developers lack especially AAA)! Otherwise they would have closed up shop with the numerous Armored Core installments which is a Niche Title at best.

That being said I am a rabid fan of Armored Core and From Software in general.

*I want to believe in Armored Core for PC someday*