Dark Souls III Screenshots Show Return to Firelink Shrine

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Dark Souls III Screenshots Show Return to Firelink Shrine

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1263/1263034.pngFirst boss encounter also introduced.

Bandai Namco has released a new batch of screenshots for Dark Souls III which, among other things, show a location familiar to series fans, Firelink Shrine.

According to a press release accompanying the images, Firelink Shrine will represent the first step in the player's journey through Dark Souls III. To reach it, they'll have to overcome Gundyr, also revealed in the new shots.

Along with the screenshots, some concept art was also included, depicting a few of the game's NPCs and a creature that looks like an eyeless wendigo which will probably haunt my dreams for a while.

Check out the full set of images in the gallery:

[gallery=5543]

Dark Souls III isn't too far off now. The game is scheduled to release April 12 on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Aw i was hoping for a new foreboding land to explore. Not a retread. The monster designs are promising though. Have recently acquired scholar of first sin, so hopefully will complete it before this release. (Just in time for birthday... Squeee!!)

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Aaaand thank you for spoiling that, Escapist! That would've been an amazing moment to come up on it in-game and realize "Wait! This is Firelink!" But because i had the audacity to glance at an article's title, I won't get to have that.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Damn this has just reminded me I still haven't completed Dark Souls 2. That stupid fucking carriage bastard keeps killing me!

Hope we get a better selection of bosses than Dark Souls 2, too many bosses there were just guys in armour. Candle-head lady looks nice and weird.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Maphysto said:
Aaaand thank you for spoiling that, Escapist! That would've been an amazing moment to come up on it in-game and realize "Wait! This is Firelink!" But because i had the audacity to glance at an article's title, I won't get to have that.
Eh, From is more to blame for this than any news article is. They're the one's who provided the promo screenshots, so clearly the inclusion of Firelink wasn't supposed to be a secret.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Souls games look great but I just can't seem to find any enjoyment in them. It's one of those "I wish I can enjoy this" things that really upset me because I know it's not a bad game. In fact it's probably a great game and it looks like something I should love. Yet I don't. I can't.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
K12 said:
Damn this has just reminded me I still haven't completed Dark Souls 2. That stupid fucking carriage bastard keeps killing me!

Hope we get a better selection of bosses than Dark Souls 2, too many bosses there were just guys in armour. Candle-head lady looks nice and weird.
Personally I found Dark souls 2 a disappointment. Not a bad game on its own mind you, but as a sequel it failed to live up to my expectations.

Good news about the Carriage boss through, it is optional.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Fappy said:
Maphysto said:
Eh, From is more to blame for this than any news article is. They're the one's who provided the promo screenshots, so clearly the inclusion of Firelink wasn't supposed to be a secret.
Why aren't you embargoing yourself from all DS3 content? Not searching for news on the game means you never get spoiled.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
Souls games look great but I just can't seem to find any enjoyment in them. It's one of those "I wish I can enjoy this" things that really upset me because I know it's not a bad game. In fact it's probably a great game and it looks like something I should love. Yet I don't. I can't.
It's certainly not for everyone. For some people like me, it took a lot of effort to get into it. I tried Darksouls twice and put it down before even making it to Firelink Shrine. Tried it a third time a year later and fell in love with it.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Broderick said:
K12 said:

Personally I found Dark souls 2 a disappointment. Not a bad game on its own mind you, but as a sequel it failed to live up to my expectations.

I found DSII especially disappointing. When it came out, I was living overseas at the time and had no console. I really loved DSI and decided to completely avoid any info for DSII. Many months later I finally came home and played and I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't get into it.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Broderick said:
Are you fucking serious! You mean to tell me I've been stubbornly throwing myself at this guy over and over again when it didn't even have to. I'm an idiot, I really should have googled that.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
K12 said:
Broderick said:
Are you fucking serious! You mean to tell me I've been stubbornly throwing myself at this guy over and over again when it didn't even have to. I'm an idiot, I really should have googled that.
Executioner's can definitely be a bit tricky. If you can make it to the end and kill all the necromancers something you can do if you have trouble with the horse is to shoot it with arrows as it passes by one of the safe spots. Slow but easy, and the cool thing is that they have a different death for the boss if you do it that way ;)

Main reason I guess it's so hard is that it has the same role as Old Dragonslayer, guardian of a Covenant, so it's a lot tougher than the other boss in the region. Try coming back later when you've gotten some levels and improved your skills in general :)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Is it just me, or are these coming out way too quickly? I mean, I love them, and their consistently excellent, but I barely have time to let the last one sink in before another game comes out. Maybe they should have another franchise that's released in between installments.

Also, I'm not sure about returning to the first game. I mean, it was already focusing on the entropic decay of the world. Things can't get 110% fucked, can they? Once you've made the end of days your focal point, where else is there to go?

This may be the first one I pass on, at least for now. I haven't even finished the Bloodborne DLC yet.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
K12 said:

If you time your rolls right u can roll through the spokes and avoid using the slots that get you trapped by the skellies.

OT: I still need to play and platinum Bloodbourne before I get this one. I just hope they remember to make it a trip through the realm of dead gods like DS1 and not a crappy kingdom retread like DS2.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Fox12 said:
Is it just me, or are these coming out way too quickly? I mean, I love them, and their consistently excellent, but I barely have time to let the last one sink in before another game comes out. Maybe they should have another franchise that's released in between installments.

Also, I'm not sure about returning to the first game. I mean, it was already focusing on the entropic decay of the world. Things can't get 110% fucked, can they? Once you've made the end of days your focal point, where else is there to go?

This may be the first one I pass on, at least for now. I haven't even finished the Bloodborne DLC yet.
This is the point though, Miyazaki never wanted Dark Souls 2, it got handed down as a memo from Namco Bandai and he was removed from the project, or rather kicked upstairs, because he was notorious for refusing to budge on his vision of the games. But then the buyout happened and made Miyazaki president of the company so he wants to go back and fix what they derped up about Dark Souls 2 and cap off the Dark Souls games entirely. There won't be anymore Dark Souls games after this, though he did hint there may be a souls like game set in a sci-fi universe.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Setch Dreskar said:
Fox12 said:

This is the point though, Miyazaki never wanted Dark Souls 2, it got handed down as a memo from Namco Bandai and he was removed from the project, or rather kicked upstairs, because he was notorious for refusing to budge on his vision of the games. But then the buyout happened and made Miyazaki president of the company so he wants to go back and fix what they derped up about Dark Souls 2 and cap off the Dark Souls games entirely. There won't be anymore Dark Souls games after this, though he did hint there may be a souls like game set in a sci-fi universe.
That's... Very interesting. I didn't know that. I like that he's exploring new settings, that's what made Bloodborne so special. I can understand the need to finish Dark Souls properly, and I'm glad he's retiring it, instead of turning it into a massive franchise. That always seemed strange to me.

Out of curiosity, who did the buyout?