Dark Souls Patched, Now Slightly Easier

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
otakon17 said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
what the hll does nerfed mean?

i've noticed i'm getting a lot more souls per a kill now too
"Nerfed" means the effect was weaken substantially. Which means it is now WORTHLESS! Bastards took the usefulness of Iron Flesh away. I loved Iron Flesh, the bloody spell made things easier but not too easy. The last boss is still a pain in the ass to kill even the first time through.
Nnnn...are we talking NG++ and above or just NG? Because if it's NG, then no, Iron Flesh was ridiculously broken. If it's NG++ or above, then I don't know how you survived with Iron Flesh's slow movement speed.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
otakon17 said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
what the hll does nerfed mean?

i've noticed i'm getting a lot more souls per a kill now too
"Nerfed" means the effect was weaken substantially. Which means it is now WORTHLESS! Bastards took the usefulness of Iron Flesh away. I loved Iron Flesh, the bloody spell made things easier but not too easy. The last boss is still a pain in the ass to kill even the first time through.
Nnnn...are we talking NG++ and above or just NG? Because if it's NG, then no, Iron Flesh was ridiculously broken. If it's NG++ or above, then I don't know how you survived with Iron Flesh's slow movement speed.
I'll be honest, I had a hard time killing
Gwyn
just the first time through. I was never good a dodge timing and direction, I've only just gotten to NG+, but then Skyrim came out and I've been playing that now. Besides, I just stack it with Havel's Greatshield's secondary ability and it reduces damage pretty good.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
They should make a patch like that for Demon's Souls. It should include the ability to pause the game, the ability to "save and quit" to a save file you can only load once if you suddenly have to stop playing and don't want to be stuck with the shitty choices of "leave PS3 on for undetermined amount of time or lose tons of progress", and the ability to remove all that spam from the floor.

Okay, I guess I can do the last one already by signing out of PSN, but still. I shouldn't have to sign out just so I can play a game without tons of comments on the floor so worthless that they might as all just say "FIRST!"

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
mjc0961 said:
They should make a patch like that for Demon's Souls. It should include the ability to pause the game, the ability to "save and quit" to a save file you can only load once if you suddenly have to stop playing and don't want to be stuck with the shitty choices of "leave PS3 on for undetermined amount of time or lose tons of progress", and the ability to remove all that spam from the floor.

Okay, I guess I can do the last one already by signing out of PSN, but still. I shouldn't have to sign out just so I can play a game without tons of comments on the floor so worthless that they might as all just say "FIRST!"
Actually if you quit demons souls, when you start playing again you wont lose any progress. You'll be at the same place you quit at, not the last bonfire.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
*sigh* what's the point in making a fairly challenging game if you're just going to patch it to make it easier. If people can't handle the difficulty then that's their problem. I don't mind making it a bit more balanced but they don't need to make it easier.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Glad they increased the humanity drop rate, but that's a bit too much of an increase, honestly.

Aside from that, I'm pretty much all for this patch. It's not making the game significantly easier (Aside from the aforementioned huge humanity drop rate increased and I suppose more souls makes it a bit easier to level up) and in fact it's actually getting rid of a lot of ways to cheese the game. (Iron Flesh, Magic Shield, etc.) It's just making PvP more balanced (Which until some sort of level cap is made or something is done with it, is rather a futile effort) and balancing items with each other.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Some of these patches make sense. I love the shit outta this game, and I have put in a lot of hours (almost as much as Demon's Souls). My chief thing was that they fixed the dragon head glitch, though it's nice to be able to get humanity more often.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
See, this is the kind of nonsense that drove me away from Demon's Souls. The primary contributor of the series' difficult comes from broken game design instead of clever game design.

Breaking down a wall with your fists is challenging in the same way. But still, if you're going to go through the effort of replacing all of the red bricks with adobe bricks, at least you're committed to the project. Kudos, I guess.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

PRAISE THE SUN
NNNOOOOO that was the only good thing about that ring and was the only reason I was going to get it. Now it'll be too easy to kill people using the RoF as they are still visible to players when using it. And now it seems pointless to get...

Also now my lighting spear +4, golden hemmed armour and homing soulmass are all weaker...

Though it's nice to have more humanity drop.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Having played it post-patch, things do seem a lot more fair than previously, especially with more souls being dropped as it feels less tedious to get more levels if need be.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Well, after spending the entire day playing on the new patch, I can say I like it. I haven't really noticed any of the equipment or spell nerfs, seeing as how my usual setup was untouched. Ironically, I had just upgraded my Xanthous Leggings to be better than the Dusk Skirt (or whatever, the thing you get from Dusk of Oolacile's corpse) the day before, so dodged that one. And my standby sword the Gravelord Sword is still completely broken in terms of damage (does more damage than my Lightning Man-Serpent Greatsword +5, despite being 200 weaker on paper).

I will however say that the one major change I've noticed is one I really appreciate: they got rid of the exploits, but made them unnecessary. The Snuggly exploit was needed because you couldn't possibly get enough Twinkling Titanite otherwise. Now you can buy it, albeit for a fairly high price, in an endless amount. They also fixed the infinite soul glitch, but made grinding for souls far FAR easier, thus removing the need to use the exploit to level up at SL 100+

Plus, one thing the patch notes don't mention that I definitely have noticed is that items drop a lot more often. Not just humanity, but the rare drops for most mobs have increased dramatically. Not to the point where they're no longer rare, but instead of grinding through 50 Man-eater Clams to get one Purging Stone, you can get one from every ten or so with Covetous Gold Serpent.

I will also say that I love the increased lock-on range. It's not long enough to make ranged builds OP, but it does mean that I can lock-on to enemies without smashing my face into their sword to get close enough first.

Basically, I think that the update didn't necessarily make the game EASIER, at least not noticeably so, but it did make it more FAIR. There's no longer as much of a need to hem and haw over what to spend where because it'll take you another 30 hours to upgrade the other one. I think it's closer to Demons' Souls now, in that it's more about knowing what you're doing and learning than it is grinding and twinking your stats.

[small]Ornstein and Smough are still bullshit though.[/small]

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Nile McMorrow said:
Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

PRAISE THE SUN
NNNOOOOO that was the only good thing about that ring and was the only reason I was going to get it. Now it'll be too easy to kill people using the RoF as they are still visible to players when using it. And now it seems pointless to get...

Also now my lighting spear +4, golden hemmed armour and homing soulmass are all weaker...

Though it's nice to have more humanity drop.
The "only thing that was good" about the ring was that it was completely broken. There was no reason why you shouldn't be able to lock on.

If anything, the fog ring should behave like the Thief ring in Demon's Souls where it just increases your stealth stat. Which does affect PvP where players would literally not see players if they are undetected. And that was fine. Especially since once they were detected, you could kick their ass.
But there isn't a Stealth stat in Dark Souls is there? And even if there was a hidden stat for it, it's nearly impossible to stealth in Dark Souls unless you have the Ring of Fog and Slumbering Dragoncrest. Also if the Ring of Fog is meant to make you invisible/blend in really well/un-noticeable then why should players be able to lock onto the person using it? I mean I got invaded by someone who had the ring and realised I couldn't lock onto them so I had to deal with it by timing hits. Now this just takes the fun out dueling with people who have the ring as it negates its usefulness in PVP. I'm sure the guy equipped with it who I invaded will be pretty upset that he can't spam soul mass and soul arrow without being rolled around now.

I swear Captcha just gave me an alegebra problem.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Fixing the drop rates of some items was necessary - e.g. I needed 2-3 hours for 1 titanite slab to drop, now it's down to ~1 hour (note: I always ran around with with 30 humanity and the ring)

But it was unnecessary to give us more souls for monster kills, and it was unnecessary to reduce the hp of some enemies.

Pushing the scaling weapons was also a good move and the online experience is a lot better than it was before (hey, the Gravelord covenant actually works now!).

Additionally with changing/fixing the broken spells and glitches it was a much needed patch.

Chevalier noir

Nov 21, 2011
Nile McMorrow said:
The ring was overpowered, it needed to be nerfed. The people who abused it and tranquil walk of peace will have to learn to play now. Simple as that.

The ring alone made playing a mage impossible and sorcery will still be the worst way to spec for pvp even now. At least sorcery will be useable post patch.

Hell, I'm a faith user and I'm happy twop got the nerfbat.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Chevalier noir said:
Nile McMorrow said:
The ring was overpowered, it needed to be nerfed. The people who abused it and tranquil walk of peace will have to learn to play now. Simple as that.

The ring alone made playing a mage impossible and sorcery will still be the worst way to spec for pvp even now. At least sorcery will be useable post patch.

Hell, I'm a faith user and I'm happy twop got the nerfbat.
I really don't see how it was overpowered, all it did was make the user slightly transparent and couldn't be locked onto. That's not really a game breaking feature is it? It just means people had to work harder when fighting someone using it. Though I see where you are coming from with the mage's being unable to fight against people using the ring as they were unable to use soul arrows or homing soul mass effectively. Wait don't they get magic shield and sword? and doesn't homing soul mass home in on people using RoF anyway? If it does then all I can see is that using soul arrows was ineffective in PVP.

Anyway, I feel that its unfair that RoF can now be locked onto as they can no longer slip behind other players in PVP when facing each other head on since they can swing round and face them constantly now with the lockon. Though what I would have like to have seen was a patch to fix pyromancy magic's strange method of execution e.g. you throw it at the floor rather than lob spells/do the soul arrow thing. It's really annoying that the floor seems to get more of the spells in their face than a enemy does.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Have they improved the Net Code? Seriously, trying to connect on that game is shit.
But I like this increased Twinkling Titanite drop. Now I won't have to do the exploit to upgrade my armour.