Dark Souls Patched, Now Slightly Easier

Dec 16, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
what the hll does nerfed mean?

i've noticed i'm getting a lot more souls per a kill now too
Nerfed is...nerfed. The opposite of buffed. It was made weaker.
ok, next queustion, what does buffed mean?
i'm joking

so can we now lock on to those invisible guys in darkroot garden? if so, i'm gonna head there tonight

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
YES!!! Bottomless box from the undead male merchant! That is exactly what i needed!

EDIT: Yep, just made a ton of progress!

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
The patch hasn't really changed anything for me considering I really only use only a divine shotel and healing miracles. Shields are for weak people with weaknesses, sorcery is for people that wanna be like Harry Potter, pyromancy is for 12 year old pyromaniacs, and armor is for babies.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Nile McMorrow said:
Chevalier noir said:
Nile McMorrow said:
The ring was overpowered, it needed to be nerfed. The people who abused it and tranquil walk of peace will have to learn to play now. Simple as that.

The ring alone made playing a mage impossible and sorcery will still be the worst way to spec for pvp even now. At least sorcery will be useable post patch.

Hell, I'm a faith user and I'm happy twop got the nerfbat.
I really don't see how it was overpowered, all it did was make the user slightly transparent and couldn't be locked onto. That's not really a game breaking feature is it? It just means people had to work harder when fighting someone using it. Though I see where you are coming from with the mage's being unable to fight against people using the ring as they were unable to use soul arrows or homing soul mass effectively. Wait don't they get magic shield and sword? and doesn't homing soul mass home in on people using RoF anyway? If it does then all I can see is that using soul arrows was ineffective in PVP.

Anyway, I feel that its unfair that RoF can now be locked onto as they can no longer slip behind other players in PVP when facing each other head on since they can swing round and face them constantly now with the lockon. Though what I would have like to have seen was a patch to fix pyromancy magic's strange method of execution e.g. you throw it at the floor rather than lob spells/do the soul arrow thing. It's really annoying that the floor seems to get more of the spells in their face than a enemy does.
So you were one of those using TWoP+RoF and now you are unable to cheese around?

Not being able to lock-on was a serious problem, literally forcing your opponent to use long range weapons (and making it extremely hard to parry), otherwise you just run around them spamming Great Combustion and doing continuous backstabs.

RoF should have just been like the Thieves Ring of DS.

Oh, and you have to use fireballs without lock-on and aim the camera to throw them into your enemies rolls, or force them in a specific direction - the same way you use some of the sorcery spells (e.g. White Dragon Breath).

Chevalier noir

Nov 21, 2011
Nile McMorrow said:
I really don't see how it was overpowered, all it did was make the user slightly transparent and couldn't be locked onto.
All it did? Removing players ability to lock you doesn't just "make people work harder to kill you" it screws with all your movement in combat. Taking away the ability for someone to move backwards or side strafe is stupid.

Wait don't they get magic shield and sword?
I can't believe you think forcing sorcerers into melee combat just because of your ring is fair and balanced. That is assuming magic sword or shield are worthwhile buffs.

Anyway, I feel that its unfair that RoF can now be locked onto as they can no longer slip behind other players in PVP when facing each other head on since they can swing round and face them constantly now with the lockon.
Good players get backstabs all the time with the lockon. An hour of practice on game mobs and you'll be fine if your good at it. Ring of fog was a bad crutch no one needed but plenty abused to cheese pvp.

Though what I would have like to have seen was a patch to fix pyromancy magic's strange method of execution e.g. you throw it at the floor rather than lob spells/do the soul arrow thing. It's really annoying that the floor seems to get more of the spells in their face than a enemy does.
Pyromancy is fine, its short range for a reason.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:

Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Titanite Shards, Large Tit Shards, Twinkling (8000 per, inf amount), Green Shards, Repair box, upgrade boxes
Uhm....I'm not entirely sure he'd accept being called that.

I have mixed responses about this patch. On the one hand they nerfed my primary weapon (pyro glove) and primary (hollow soldier) and secondary (crystal ring) shields but on the other hand more humanity and the NPCs actually sell a lot more useful stuff.

Hmm...to patch or not. I've already killed 2/4 lords pre-patch so....

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

PRAISE THE SUN
Yeah, that ring was such BS; if you were doing PvP you either had to use it as well to remain viable or die.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
They still need to change the "You Defeated" and "Victory Achieved" to something cool like in Demons Souls. It was so satisfying reading:

"THE DEMON WAS DESTROYED SLAYER OF DEMONS. THE DEMONS SOUL IS NOW YOURS AND POWER BEYOND HUMAN IMAGINATION"

Maybe Dark Souls could have something like:

"THE LORD WAS SLAIN CHOSEN UNDEAD. TAKE THE SOUL AND FUFILL YOUR DESTINY."

It seems better.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I was kind of excited to go back online after the patch, so I started up a new character and progressed to the Undead Parish before I was promptly invaded three times by people with lightning weapons. All three one-shot me. Mind you, this is pre-gargoyles with a soul level under 15 and way of the white covenant.

I was also invaded by someone in full smough's who killed me with a chaos fireball.

Until they somehow restrict invasions by your gear as well as your soul level, Dark Souls pvp will continue to be a complete joke. Of the 30ish invasions I've suffered across 3-4 characters, I've run into maybe five legitimate opponents (gear/spells/stats roughly on par with my own). Everyone else was either intentionally suppressing their soul level (so they could crush me with vastly superior gear) or abusing every OP mechanic in the game.

Really, just an awful online community.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
FieryTrainwreck said:
I was kind of excited to go back online after the patch, so I started up a new character and progressed to the Undead Parish before I was promptly invaded three times by people with lightning weapons. All three one-shot me. Mind you, this is pre-gargoyles with a soul level under 15 and way of the white covenant.

I was also invaded by someone in full smough's who killed me with a chaos fireball.

Until they somehow restrict invasions by your gear as well as your soul level, Dark Souls pvp will continue to be a complete joke. Of the 30ish invasions I've suffered across 3-4 characters, I've run into maybe five legitimate opponents (gear/spells/stats roughly on par with my own). Everyone else was either intentionally suppressing their soul level (so they could crush me with vastly superior gear) or abusing every OP mechanic in the game.

Really, just an awful online community.
At the moment you can invade characters with a lower SL than yourself, if you are in the Darkmoon Covenant and the other one has sinned - the others are just trolls/griefers...

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Most of those fixes look pretty damn good. I didn't realise they nerfed my Elite Knight Armor so glad it's getting buffed again. I had the Catalina set but was so tired of looking like a porker, had to just spend some shards and upgrade my Elite Knight set :)

I definitely like the souls aquisition increase. That'll be nice. Too bad I've been hooked on Skyrim lately... I'm not sure when I'll get back to Dark Souls.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I was going to complain about "Making the game easier" because I find it has been far to easy so far and am quite depressed as a new comer to the series.
But then I looked through the patch notes and am pleasantly surprised to see that they are making the game harder for me.
I was acciedentaly very good at picking over powered things, such as Pyromancy and the Gold-hemmed set with stone armor for tanking where mobility isn't optimal.
Now globablly nerfed I'll probably go back to finish the game and see if there is any challenge left on my way to the end of it.

Gabriel Vilanova

Mar 20, 2010
I like how the multiplayer is patched up now and that it is closer to Demons souls but I see four things wrong.
1. Did they need to nerf pyromancy? It was easy to avoid to begin with.
They should have buffed flash sweat.
2. Why the hell are the drop rates so high?
3. The fog ring should at least only let you lock on at close range not from far
(Demon souls thief ring)
4.Why the hell do Ghosts and skeletons drop souls now!?

They are making this game too easy on us.
They game is not even hard to begin with. You just needed to learn how to play and learn from your mistakes.
(Word of advice: talk to every npc characters)

Another problem, why do Dark wraiths drop the dark hand!?
That takes the fun out of joining them...

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
D0WNT0WN said:
They still need to change the "You Defeated" and "Victory Achieved" to something cool like in Demons Souls.
They did. They also changed the message that appears when you recover souls from your bloodstain.

Nile McMorrow said:
I really don't see how it was overpowered, all it did was make the user slightly transparent and couldn't be locked onto.
That right there was the biggest problem. It basically made ranged builds completely worthless. Spells are near impossible to target without a lockon, and if you're a human getting hit by arrows you're doing something extremely wrong. Although I do disagree with getting rid of the no-lock-ons COMPLETELY, because now the ring is just worthless. The transparency effect isn't potent enough to actually make someone overlook you, so it's just wasting a ring slot. Maybe if it simply reduced lock-on range or sommat.

hazabaza1 said:
Have they improved the Net Code? Seriously, trying to connect on that game is shit.
But I like this increased Twinkling Titanite drop. Now I won't have to do the exploit to upgrade my armour.
I don't know about the specifics of the netcode, but they do seem to have made it easier to invade and whatnot. I had spent hours with the Cat Covenant Ring equipped pre-patch and not gotten a single call, and post-patch I got three within minutes of putting it on. I'm hoping this'll help with the Dragon Covenant, seeing as how that one was useless at midlevel.

Scorched_Cascade said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Titanite Shards, Large Tit Shards, Twinkling (8000 per, inf amount), Green Shards, Repair box, upgrade boxes
Uhm....I'm not entirely sure he'd accept being called that.
Yeah, until that post I never noticed, but look at how he swings his hammer. Now mentally remove the hammer from the swing :p Can't unsee...

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Huh.

While I don't agree with making a game renowned for its bullshit difficulty easier, I may have to try it again and see if I can finally beat Fat Bastard and Goldmember in Anor Londo.

Gabriel Vilanova

Mar 20, 2010
Master Kuja said:
Huh.

While I don't agree with making a game renowned for its bullshit difficulty easier, I may have to try it again and see if I can finally beat Fat Bastard and Goldmember in Anor Londo.
Ornstaein and Smough are actually pretty easy.
Especially if you have solair help out.
"He is an idiot but he is a strong idiot" "Make sure you stay on his good side"
Love,
Trusty Patches

(lol)

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
"Lvl up screen displays souls needed properly now"

I'd say that's the best fix right there.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Interesting, I already finished the game, but I might pick it up again after Skyrim and AC:R. It was a great challenge the first time through, but I'd like to take it easy the next time.