Dark Souls Patched, Now Slightly Easier

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
bakan said:
At the moment you can invade characters with a lower SL than yourself, if you are in the Darkmoon Covenant and the other one has sinned - the others are just trolls/griefers...
These "others" account for easily 90% of my invaders.

Dark Souls PvP is a total gong show because asshole players can intentionally suppress their soul levels. You can beat the whole game without leveling beyond the most basic stat requirements for specific weapons, and there is no cap on the amount of souls you can spend on gear. Worst of all, you can do all of this OFFLINE. There is no "paying your dues" or "risky farming" involved. You just stay unplugged while you cheese the game, then take your hilariously overpowered toon online to slaughter starting characters with your boss weapons, lightning weapons, chaos pyromancy, etc.

It's beyond stupid, and anyone who defends it is a moron. You definitely weren't defending it, so that's not a personal attack.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
...haha yes but still way too brutally hard for me to endure x.x

altho that one gamer part of me is still wanting to try it as a challenge, but it's not a big enough part of me lol

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I'm not really seeing how this makes the game easier? They buffed some weapons that noone used anyways, because they were way worse than similar options. And they nerfed pyromancy, which was probably the most overpowered thing in the game, especially iron flesh. Increasing the drop rate on humanity doesn't effect the difficulty at all, just reduces the amount of times you have to run back extra far to get to a kindled bonfire. Increasing the droprate on souls doesn't make a difference since everyone just farmed them to oblivion anyways.

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
walrusaurus said:
I'm not really seeing how this makes the game easier? They buffed some weapons that noone used anyways, because they were way worse than similar options. And they nerfed pyromancy, which was probably the most overpowered thing in the game, especially iron flesh. Increasing the drop rate on humanity doesn't effect the difficulty at all, just reduces the amount of times you have to run back extra far to get to a kindled bonfire. Increasing the droprate on souls doesn't make a difference since everyone just farmed them to oblivion anyways.
Well, I for one was rather annoyed that my fire iato with no stat scaling would by far outclass all my other stuff that had stat scaling.

I mean, at one point I had a +10 devine longsword along around 30 faith, and it was just bearly better than my +5 fire iato.

Look me in the eyes tell me with a straight face that this is not silly.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
It seems to make my build harder, since Gold-Hemmed and Pyro Glove both got nerfed.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
arcstone said:
walrusaurus said:
Well, I for one was rather annoyed that my fire iato with no stat scaling would by far outclass all my other stuff that had stat scaling.

I mean, at one point I had a +10 devine longsword along around 30 faith, and it was just bearly better than my +5 fire iato.

Look me in the eyes tell me with a straight face that this is not silly.
O no, you misunderstand me. I'm not against these changes at all. I just disagree that they make the game easier. As you said weapons with power levels like that damn katana already existed, now there are simply a few more of them.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Nile McMorrow said:
EverythingIncredible said:
Nile McMorrow said:
EverythingIncredible said:
Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

PRAISE THE SUN
NNNOOOOO that was the only good thing about that ring and was the only reason I was going to get it. Now it'll be too easy to kill people using the RoF as they are still visible to players when using it. And now it seems pointless to get...

Also now my lighting spear +4, golden hemmed armour and homing soulmass are all weaker...

Though it's nice to have more humanity drop.
The "only thing that was good" about the ring was that it was completely broken. There was no reason why you shouldn't be able to lock on.

If anything, the fog ring should behave like the Thief ring in Demon's Souls where it just increases your stealth stat. Which does affect PvP where players would literally not see players if they are undetected. And that was fine. Especially since once they were detected, you could kick their ass.
But there isn't a Stealth stat in Dark Souls is there? And even if there was a hidden stat for it, it's nearly impossible to stealth in Dark Souls unless you have the Ring of Fog and Slumbering Dragoncrest. Also if the Ring of Fog is meant to make you invisible/blend in really well/un-noticeable then why should players be able to lock onto the person using it? I mean I got invaded by someone who had the ring and realised I couldn't lock onto them so I had to deal with it by timing hits. Now this just takes the fun out dueling with people who have the ring as it negates its usefulness in PVP. I'm sure the guy equipped with it who I invaded will be pretty upset that he can't spam soul mass and soul arrow without being rolled around now.

I swear Captcha just gave me an alegebra problem.
The controls in Dark Souls are complete crap. Or were, I'll have to see if the input-lag fix actually fixes it. If they weren't, if your character actually obeyed your controller inputs 100% of the time, then the ring might not be such a huge issue. Since you can never be entirely certain if you're going to attack or leap forward into your opponent's blade, not being able to lock on completely destroys whatever fun might have been in PvP.

For the *vast majority* of players, you have to *have* the ring in order to get the ring, because the only people currently playing PvP are hackers and infinite-soul glitchers who have extremely out-of-depth equipment.

fissionmoon

Sep 14, 2009
As much as I hate to lose the online functionality, I refuse to download a patch that would make the game this much easier.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
well this is nice. i think i might just get this game now. i loved the hell out of demonssssssoulsss before i died 8 times in the exact same room and stopped playing it forever.

speaking of, patch for demonssssssssssssoulssss please?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You know they should have released two patches, one that made the balances and the other that game all enemies twice as much health and gave you half as much health. That way everyone would happy.

I'll never understand masocore gamers. It goes against the basic design philosophies of games and purposely tries to punish people for no reason while focusing on an entirely auxiliary concept: reward by sheer beat-down, over other core ideas of design. Whatever happen to "gameplay first"? do people just enjoy failing and if so aren't there easier and more fun ways to fail? like Tetris?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
bakan said:
Snippy do
So you were one of those using TWoP+RoF and now you are unable to cheese around?

Not being able to lock-on was a serious problem, literally forcing your opponent to use long range weapons (and making it extremely hard to parry), otherwise you just run around them spamming Great Combustion and doing continuous backstabs.
I never got the RoF as I was too busy playing around with the Chaos and Darkmoon covenants to bother so no I wasn't one of the people who ran around making PvP challenging. I'm the one that usually has a knife sticking out my back as someone bows over my body except for the one guy who invaded me in the catacombs and learnt to be more careful around the bridges. Also TWoP? I'm a pyromancer/melee build with a few points in faith and intel. plus I don't know why I would that spell as it seems useless for my character who seemingly enjoys plunging into abysses half the time.

I know lock made the PvP harder from first hand experience when a player invaded me whilst my group were clearing out the silver knight part of the chapel and beat us by hiding next to groups of silver knights. But I was still able to battle against them by judging their moves. And you didn't need long range weapons to fight back, I myself was using the drake sword which has relatively low stat requirements for a boss/dragon weapon and has a small attack range. I also found that Soul mass still works against RoF users so spell builds weren't all that defenseless.

Though I can say one beneficial thing about the RoF nerf, it's made farming 7000-10000 souls every 3 minutes a much easier task with the Forest NPCs but a quick question does anyone else have a problem with the Greatsword knight spawning in the forest?

Also I have no problem with the short range of pyromancy, it's just that my character loves to lob it at the ground more than the monster in his face.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
glad i have already beaten the game then.

i got dark souls because it was difficult, if i wanted a game that was easy i would have bought a mainstream game

Dec 16, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
what the hll does nerfed mean?

i've noticed i'm getting a lot more souls per a kill now too
Nerfed means the opposite of buffed, buddy.
someone already answered me, but thanks for the reply chief

to anyone saying the games made easier, its really not (to me anyway) it just feels more balanced n easier to farm souls

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Having only started playing in the wonderful world of 1.04 I feel just a little patronized.
I appreciate a ton of the stuff in this patch but still think the patch should have added the easier difficulty as an option instead of just dumping it on us.

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
Stupid missleading title. This is a BALANCE PATCH, it didn't make the game any easier. It actually fixed some exploits, fixed PvP, fixed game breaking PvE spells and eliminated the need for farming. Actually it made the game HARDER for some builds and forces players to use something else than the most common TWOP/RoF/Vitality/Endurance/Gold Hemmed Set builds.

Magic Changes:
Pyro Glove nerfed from 270 to 230.
You can see resonance signs now.
Vow of Silence range increased.
Sorcery spell damage as a whole was slightly buffed, but Homing Soul Mass and other pursuit style spells were nerfed.
Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds.
Strong Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds. Invincibility removed. Effect on Stamina drastically reduced.
Tranquil Walk of Peace and other Slow duration reduced to ~10 secs. Effect supposedly changed from 100% encumberance to 50%. Rolling possible if your equip burden is lowered. Slowness is similar to swamp effect.
Iron Flesh effectiveness nerfed.
Invisible Body duration remains unchanged.
These are all PvP and PvE nerfs (no more TWOP kthxbye or Iron Skin/Magic Shield God Mode, and nerf for Pyro to keep lvl 1-10 PvP twinks away). Makes the game harder for spellcasters and PvP much more balanced.

Equipment General Changes:
Reported some weapon scaling gets improved at higher normal upgrades (+15 uchi dex scaling goes to A)
Some scaling reported as changing from A to S with higher upgrades

Upgrade Changes:
Normal scaling buffed by 5-20% (20% at +14).
Crystal scaling buffed by 5-20% (20% at +4).
Lightning +4 nerfed by 2% (+5 remains unchanged).
Raw scaling buffed by 10% (all levels).
Magic stat scaling buffed by 10-20% (20% at +9).
Enchanted stat scaling buffed by 15-20% (20% at +4).
Divine stat scaling buffed by 10-20% (20% at +9).
Occult stat scaling buffed by 15-20% (20% at +4).
Fire +9 nerfed by 2%. (+5 remains unchanged)
Dragon stat scaling buffed by 5-20% (20% at +5).

Specific Gear Changes:
Grant scaling changed to Strength:B and Faith:A
Gold-hemmed nerfed, still can't be upgraded.
Dust skirt nerfed hard (streamlined to match the other pieces).
Silver Knights, Sun, Hollow Soldier's Shield and other medium shield stability nerfed to ~70 at max upgrades to improve Great Shield viability.
Crystal Ring Shield scaling drastically nerfed. Does around ~200 +-50
Dragon Greatsword buffed from 360 to 390.
Silver Knight's Sword lightning effect removed. Now enchantable.
Elite Knight gear nerfed, then buffed slightly in 1.05
Buffed skill related weapons and nerfed lightning to prevent lollightning vita/end only builds. Gold Hemmed / Dusk Skirt were also nerfed because they were practically the best light armor sets in the game (without any upgrades!). Also nerfed med shields to what they should be. Huge nerf on Crystal Ring Shield to prevent 1-shot kills.

Combat Changes:
Lock-on acquisition range increased.
Lock-on changing/switching got easier (more responsive).
Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.
Makes long range spells more viable in PvP and fixed the most broken PvP item in the whole game.

Online Changes:
You can see resonance signs.
Some invasion restrictions possibly changed? Darkwraith upperlimit confirmed as unchanged.
1.05: Summon restrictions improved slightly again.
Amount of souls the Master of the game gains changed.
Cracked Eye Orbs no longer get consumed on failure. Confirmed
You can hit Select to rate messages.
1.05: Fixed 1.04 bug where summon signs were invisible.

Covenant Changes:
Covenant Material drop rate improved.
Lowered requirements for Sunbro covenenant (requirements moved from 50 to 25. 3/4 assists should do the trick)
Fixed many broken online features, such as the Gravelord covenant which was impossible to level due to horribly horribly low drop rate for their invasion items. Also, lower sunbro req encourages more co-op playing.

Merchant stock updates:
Male Undead Merchant: Also sells bottomless box
Female Undead Merchant: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
Andrei: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
Domnhal of Xena: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Master Key (5000)
Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Titanite Shards, Large Tit Shards, Twinkling (8000 per, inf amount), Green Shards, Repair box, upgrade boxes
Vamos: Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Tit, Large tit, Repair box / upgrade boxes
Inglwood: Sells Transient Curses
Not making anything easier, adding Twinklings to Giant's store eliminates the need for horribly long farming and item dupe exploits. Less farming =/= less difficulty

PVE Changes:
Overall increase in souls gained (~2-2.5 times more)
Damage reduced on some mobs?
HP lowered on some mobs?
Reduced acquisition range on normal enemies.
Supposedly reduced poise on some enemies.
Bosses drop Humanity and Homeward Bones
Ghosts and Skeletons give souls now.
Twinkling Titanite drop rate improved.
Pyromancers in Catacombs drop Skull Lanterns.
Darkwraiths in New Londo drop Dark Hand.
The higher soul drop rate again eliminates need for bug exploits or forrest farming, and bosses dropping humanity encourages more online play (since for co-op / PvP you need to be in human form). The only things that made the game "easier" are:
>Damage reduced on some mobs?
>HP lowered on some mobs?
>Supposedly reduced poise on some enemies.
And AFAIK, those enemy nerfs are really small, I still die to normal enemies as much as I did before.
Did some of you not read the patch notes at all?