Dark Souls PC Edition : My 1st ten minutes

figday

Mar 22, 2011
So..
bought it. Actually, pre-ordered it. I heard that the port is going to be shoddy, From Software said it themselves (look it up), but I guess I don't mind giving them money for making DS come to the PC shore and be honest about the quality.

But holy shit. The part where they said the PC port was going to be shoddy, they weren't kidding.
I was literally laughing/crying off the appalling condition of it.

So here's where I've been through so far:
1. Bought it knowing that there's no GFWL support in my country, so I know that I won't be able to log in to my account. Offline account then.

2. The menu is /sadface, I can't configure any mouse buttons unto the keys, and the graphics settings are minimal (not surprised).

3. The graphics looks just as expected from a PC port from a company that said they didn't have any (at all?) experience in the PC works.

4. The movements are a bit clunky, the mouse works, the key bindings are just weird. Will have to sort it out later.

5. Must have a controller for now, M&KB is just plain hurting yourself. The mouse is functioning, but the camera movement is just weird, and the cursor shows up all over the place all the time.

I really hope that they'll put out a patch in the future.
So far just that, what's your first impressions guys?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
figday said:
So..
bought it. Actually, pre-ordered it. I heard that the port is going to be shoddy, From Software said it themselves (look it up), but I guess I don't mind giving them money for making DS come to the PC shore and be honest about the quality.

But holy shit. The part where they said the PC port was going to be shoddy, they weren't kidding.
I was literally laughing/crying off the appalling condition of it.

So here's where I've been through so far:
1. Bought it knowing that there's no GFWL support in my country, so I know that I won't be able to log in to my account. Offline account then.

2. The menu is /sadface, I can't configure any mouse buttons unto the keys, and the graphics settings are minimal (not surprised).

3. The graphics looks just as expected from a PC port from a company that said they didn't have any (at all?) experience in the PC works.

4. The movements are a bit clunky, the mouse works, the key bindings are just weird. Will have to sort it out later.

5. Must have a controller for now, M&KB is just plain hurting yourself. The mouse is functioning, but the camera movement is just weird, and the cursor shows up all over the place all the time.

I really hope that they'll put out a patch in the future.
So far just that, what's your first impressions guys?
I'm generally in the same boat as you. I don't mind having to use a gamepad for the game, however. It doesn't surprise me in the least that this happened though. I really wanted this to be a huge success. I do hope that they release some patches to fix things up, it will look good to their PC fanbase.

At best it's something that they can learn from for their next PC port, at worst they won't even attempt it again.

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
about 10 minutes in myself an i did make note of 2 things.
The framerate dosn't drop on the bridge in the new londo ruins.
They changed the heavy attack on the battle axe.
so far, have not had any problems with the game not responding to commands for a few seconds.( an intermittant irritation in the ps3 version)

edit

G32420NL

Jul 3, 2012
Except for the GFWL issue i had the same experience,
Didn't get much chance to play it on console so it was a brand new experience so to speak.
Really had to get used to weapons actually making contact with walls :p
I will have to make due with mouse and keyboard because i dont have money left for a xbox controller, it feels really weird indeed. same with sleeping dogs :S constant fight with the camera.
Just as tough as everybody said it whould be :) first boss (asylum thingy) has kicked my ass several times.

I used the neogaf fix for resolution, helps alot and is really easy to install.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
The only issue I have with the game is some odd frame rate drops but I reckon a patch from ATI will fix that.

When I plugged in my Xbox controller every other problem I had vanished. (Except for the mouse cursor which I neatly tucked away in a corner)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
G32420NL said:
Really had to get used to weapons actually making contact with walls :p
That is where the weapon type and the movement of the attacks come to play, spears are great in corridors and some bigger weapons with a lot of "blade" in them are good for more open spaces with multiple enemies.

Its those kind of things that made the combat unique since a different weapon meant more then just some diferent stats, they actually change the way the player attacks

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
figday said:
It's not actually true. They ported Ninja Blade to the PC a few years back. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Blade] They also made a standalone "King's Field maker" that included a remake of the original King's Field for PC. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Field_(series)#Microsoft_Windows]

Still, the graphics/resolution issues don't bother me. They said it was gonna be a straight port and, apparently, that's what we got. Still on the fence about buying it but, so far, only a few people have claimed it's actually buggy. Apparently it just feels like the console version, with a more consistent FPS, which is good enough for me.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I was up all night last night watching streamers on Twitch. I swear whenever I see someone running around 2 handing a falchion with a grass crest shield on their back and never blocking anything it annoys me because it is just so different from the way I play. I occasionally try to play that way and I just get trashed by anything with half a braincell.

I rarely 2 hand anything and generally parry or block everything instead of roll spamming, and it works for me.

It might be why I always have an issue with 4kings on each cycle. It's the only fight where unless you rush them and spam your best attacks as fast as you can while dodging thiers you will get overwhelmed. I've seen people beat them at SL1 by rolling perfectly on every attack, never getting grabbed and never getting hit with the aoe and it makes you feel like a noob Q_Q

In preparation for the eventual DLC I've been mixing it up a bit more. BSS in right, Izalith cat in left even though my toon this time has base int and fai. Gonna get better at rolling, and two handing. Occasionally pokin em with my fire stick.

So far the Silver spear knights are not impressed. Usually I just riposte the fools...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Just be glad you can run it.

My computer can't.
I really want some money so I can upgrade my hardware.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I wish I could play it buy I made the mistake of ordering from Greenman Gaming, 48 hours since they got their keys and people who preordered still don't haven't gotten them.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm actually curious as to whether or not PtD is based on the 1.05 (most recent) console patch. They may have started from there and made changes, but it feels like adding stamina/vitality adds far less to their respective bars than on PS3. It also seems like the enemies do more damage and attacks use up more stamina. I rolled a new char on PS3 to confirm some of this, and it's definitely different, although I understand that a feeling is very subjective.

The now famous NeoGAf patch has been updated and lets you remove the mouse cursor from the screen by pressing F9.

Honestly, I'm in a grey area with the whole thing at the moment. I was up last night losing an entire night's sleep playing it with a PS3 controller, and I think the hundreds of hours I put into it on PS3 even days before have made me burnout quicker than expected with the PC version.

Unpatched and unmodded, it still has a much more stable framerate, a lack of stutter, near instant loading after death/using homeward bone, and over 10 hours of content I couldn't play otherwise for months, so I have absolutely no reason to complain. This may be a sub-standard experience to everyday PC gamers but console gamers are missing the arguably definitive experience of the game.

I think I may play something completely and entirely different for a week or so (Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders 2, Spec Ops) and re-enter the PC version refreshed and ready to respect the higher quality (compared to PS3, not aforementioned games, to be clear) and new areas/bosses. Perhaps by then From will have an official version of the now famous neogaf patch and have made additional tweaks as well. I remember DS at launch for PS3 was HELL before they patched it, and I re-rolled a bunch, so maybe I'll let this settle in as well.

jacob97900

Mar 17, 2009
I don't know if its just me, but the game is literally unplayable with the mouse and keyboard. The default keybindings are so bad and can't for some reason be rebound within the game as it doesn't seem to respond to any key presses on the keyboard. I knew the graphics were gonna be sheit so that didn't surprise me, but i literally spend about 10 minutes trying to find the button which opens the menu. TIL that there is an END key on my keyboard. It doesn't help that all the button prompts that appear in the tutorial area are designed for the X-Box.

I can't help but feel that they put more effort in to the additional content so they can charge people on consoles for the obviously incoming DLC, then the actual game itself.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
Rednog said:
I wish I could play it buy I made the mistake of ordering from Greenman Gaming, 48 hours since they got their keys and people who preordered still don't haven't gotten them.
i preordered from GMG as well. Because there were no DS page on my Steampage.
I pre'd it like D-1 from release, and got my keys a few hours before launch. So I don't know what's wrong with your end.

Do note I did send a LOT of mails to GMG because it was my first ever purchase from them. Maybe that got me noticed, or maybe I'm just lucky.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
I livestreamed my first 50 minutes playing the game. I plugged a controller in after a failed rushed attempt at configuring my mouse and keyboard. I'll probably get it working at some point. It's kind of my speciality.
When your speciality comes through, please do share with all of us.
I don't have a controller, I can buy one, but I'm just not familiar with Xbox pads, PS3 on the other hand.

But then again, if u manage to configure your M&KB settings for a pure PC gamer like I am. Please please do share :)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
figday said:
Rednog said:
I pre'd it like D-1 from release, and got my keys a few hours before launch. So I don't know what's wrong with your end.

Do note I did send a LOT of mails to GMG because it was my first ever purchase from them. Maybe that got me noticed, or maybe I'm just lucky.
It looks like anyone who preorded July 31st (I ordered August 1st) or earlier got their keys, and now people are reporting that it looks like GMG has run out of keys, not sure if it is true or not, but it would explain why after 48 hours people still don't have them.
This has been a repeat problem with them, I don't get how they have the gall to give keys out to people who buy it after release while shafting their preorders and telling them "tough luck, want store credit?"

figday

Mar 22, 2011
jacob97900 said:
I don't know if its just me, but the game is literally unplayable with the mouse and keyboard. The default keybindings are so bad and can't for some reason be rebound within the game as it doesn't seem to respond to any key presses on the keyboard. I knew the graphics were gonna be sheit so that didn't surprise me, but i literally spend about 10 minutes trying to find the button which opens the menu. TIL that there is an END key on my keyboard. It doesn't help that all the button prompts that appear in the tutorial area are designed for the X-Box.

I can't help but feel that they put more effort in to the additional content so they can charge people on consoles for the obviously incoming DLC, then the actual game itself.
I know, spent half my time trying to figure out which key does what.
I mean, they did say it's going to be a straight up port. But this straight all the way up?
damn..

I'm really hoping they put out a patch or something to ease the depression.

As for now, I'm leaving DS as it is until some patch or fixes for the PC comes out.
I'll just play RaiderZ for now.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
Rednog said:
figday said:
Rednog said:

It looks like anyone who preorded July 31st (I ordered August 1st) or earlier got their keys, and now people are reporting that it looks like GMG has run out of keys, not sure if it is true or not, but it would explain why after 48 hours people still don't have them.
This has been a repeat problem with them, I don't get how they have the gall to give keys out to people who buy it after release while shafting their preorders and telling them tough luck, want store credit?
yeah, i read a lot of threads mentioning that exact issue. That is crossing the line of consumer service and legitimate entitlement. I'm not sure that GMG ran out of keys, I think it's because TONS of people are trying to get a refund after getting the news that it'll be a shoddy port, maybe that's relevant, idk.

My email to them was a refund issue, because I didn't notice that there's a 20% voucher sitting on the page. And i wanted to use it. Then, insta-reply saying that they added $10 to my GMG wallet.

Fair enough I guess.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
One word: Mods. Download them, the PC graphics issue was a deliberate thing, some guy fixed it within a couple of hours of it's release to make it look several times better. If you're really dedicated to keeping the game and not demanding a refund for their shoddy-ass product (which I personally recommend) then roll around the net for a few hours and download yourself a playset of mods.

Sep 14, 2009
Rednog said:
"still don't haven't gotten them"..

You can has before the after day that comes before the weekend of release.

OT: Not sure what people were expecting...but with the small fixes/tweaks, it seems like a great game so far, i'll buy it at 40 bucks.