Dark Souls PC Edition : My 1st ten minutes

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Rednog said:
I wish I could play it buy I made the mistake of ordering from Greenman Gaming, 48 hours since they got their keys and people who preordered still don't haven't gotten them.
"still don't haven't gotten them"..

You can has before the after day that comes before the weekend of release.

OT: Not sure what people were expecting...but with the small fixes/tweaks, it seems like a great game so far, i'll buy it at 40 bucks.
Oh man bro you totally showed me, you da boss now. I'm so humiliated that I made a mistake on the interwebs. I'm totally and completely wrong about Greenman now, I don't deserve the game because I durp'd my message. I should probably throw myself off a bridge.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I just had my first teeth grinding hour with it, and for any newcomers that is about how long it takes to get used to it.
The game has slow movement by default plus that 30FPS seems to be an actual engine lock so the whole thing is really sluggish, you need to do an action about a second prior to needing it.

Really the port was done just straight form Xbox, apart from extra content this reaps no benefits.
- UI was made for TV so it covers 1/3 of the screen
- bad default resolution
- they didn't even bother adding a hide cursor/centering command (so on my multimonitor setup the mouse will end up on other screens, and should I click when off screen it jumps out of the game)
- default keys are spread out at random it seems, but at least it has a rebind menu... which doesn't include mouse rebinds
- 30 FPS lock really shows on a monitor
- inventory system was designed by a blind donkey backwards
- and message boxes... dear fucking christ Japan does it say 1990 on your calender, cut that shit out!

But apart from the terrible interface the game is really good, combat isn't that complex but every feature is very tight and sitting in it's place, so every swing becomes a planed out decision rather then random flailing other dungeon crawlers employ.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dexter111 said:
figday said:
I really hope that they'll put out a patch in the future.
So far just that, what's your first impressions guys?
Yes it's a bad port and there's no denying it, but you can fix most of that by:

1) Using a X360 Controller (they're 25-30$/? nowadays)
2) Using the resolution fix, I made a thread about it here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.386035-Guy-from-NeoGAF-fixes-Dark-Souls-resolution-in-23-minutes
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=108

There's a comparison video here (set to 1080p and maximize):

You know, maybe it's my filthy console scrub mouth talking, but the standard graphics aren't THAT bad.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
figday said:
4. The movements are a bit clunky, the mouse works, the key bindings are just weird. Will have to sort it out later.

5. Must have a controller for now, M&KB is just plain hurting yourself. The mouse is functioning, but the camera movement is just weird, and the cursor shows up all over the place all the time.
I honestly dont know how I would bind the keys, the controls really need a controller to work properly unless they changed the mechanics of the game. Its kind of like they ported a RTS game from PC to console and didnt change the UI (or the actual mechanics since console RTSs are very different then PC RTSs)

Its something that is defenitly not their fault.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Mr.K. said:
, combat isn't that complex but every feature is very tight and sitting in it's place,
hahaha, give it some more time. It is more complex then it seems^^

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I already have a wireless 360 controller (3 actually) and I already play many PC games with it (Sonic Generations and Darksiders are unplayable without one), so that's definitely not an issue for me, although I was already expecting that.

And I think I'm one of the few wierdos in the whole planet that doesn't mind GFWL at all.

And as for the graphics... well... if the game is playable at all and has less stutter and more stable FPS, even if it's locked at 30 fps, I'd may consider buying it.

Maybe it'll get patched (or the community made a better fix) by the next winter Steam sale, maybe I'll buy it until then.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Dexter111 said:
figday said:

2) Using the resolution fix, I made a thread about it here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.386035-Guy-from-NeoGAF-fixes-Dark-Souls-resolution-in-23-minutes

...Damn...

I'm generally a console gamer, so the left version would be perfectly acceptable for me, but holy shit, I get to play with the right version too if I want?

Count me in.

On topic, yeah, I can't play with the mouse at all, and I don't have any wired Xbox controllers to use currently, making me SOL until I sober up enough to go to the store to get a good wired one. Still, once I get the mouse going and the resolution up, I imagine it'll be smooth sailing.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
erttheking said:
Dexter111 said:
figday said:

You know, maybe it's my filthy console scrub mouth talking, but the standard graphics aren't THAT bad.
Oh my word..
Now THAT'S an improvement.

Sometimes the PC modders just always manages to make man-tears roll down my cheek.
Thank god for mods. I'm sure there more to come.

P.S : Is it okay to mod a Steam game? I mean, the video shows it does, it won't make Steam think I'm using a pirated copy right? (Haven't gotten to the website yet)

P.P.S : And I Agree, the graphics on release aren't sooo abysmal (it's a straight up port), it's the mechanics that I'm clogged about.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
figday said:
erttheking said:
Dexter111 said:
figday said:

Oh my word..
Now THAT'S an improvement.

Sometimes the PC modders just always manages to make man-tears roll down my cheek.
Thank god for mods. I'm sure there more to come.

P.S : Is it okay to mod a Steam game? I mean, the video shows it does, it won't make Steam think I'm using a pirated copy right? (Haven't gotten to the website yet)

P.P.S : And I Agree, the graphics on release aren't sooo abysmal (it's a straight up port), it's the mechanics that I'm clogged about.
Yeah, you can mod Steam games. I've modded Deus Ex:HR, MW3, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and others and none of those have caused problems.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Just tried it. Wow, it was pretty terrible...

Seriously, this is the worst PC port I've had the misfortune of playing since Resident Evil 4. And no, I'm not an elitist PC gamer with a high end rig that declares every port to be TERRIBLE. Most ports are ok. Hell, I think the Darksiders 2 port is perfectly decent - it lacks some advanced visual options, but the game looks good, run smooth and the M&K controls are perfectly reasonable.

But this... this is just sad. The M&K controls are borderline unworkable, the button prompts are still A/B/X/Y, the same prompt often requires different keyboard inputs (I'm guessing just to fuck with me) like "A" sometimes being "Q" and sometimes "Enter", the mouse speed seems to change randomly from slow to squirrel-on-coffee for no apparent reason, and so on and so forth.

At this point I whipped out my controller, since I figured it might solve my problems. Mind you, it's not a 360 controller, but I've used it on a bunch of games, from the aforementioned Resident Evil 4 all the way to the latest Assassin's Creed games. I plugged it in, and the buttons weren't correctly mapped. No matter, I thought - I'll just go remap what needs to be remapped.

Then I realized that it has no options for remapping the controller buttons. At all.

At this point I just quit the game. Maybe I'll try again in a month or two. Hopefully it will be brought to a workable state by the community. Please note I haven't done any bitching about the graphics or the resolution or other such crap. No, I don't really care about that. But the game lacks BASIC FUNCTIONALITY. And no, I'm not buying a new controller just so I can play one game...

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I really want to buy it, not only to play Dark Souls but to support FromSoftware who actually took the time to port it to PC. However, I need to wait some time for I can obtain enough money to buy it in Australia, and hopefully some modders will fix some of the issues too by the time I actually obtain it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
mouse cursor goes in corner, the game lags a lot less than on my PS3 and the controls react a little better.
but i really think this should have a huge red DO NOT BUY UNLESS YOU HAVE A CONTROLLER button on the box. i really don't mind using a controller but i guess it sucks major ass if you don't have one

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
Ickorus said:
The only issue I have with the game is some odd frame rate drops but I reckon a patch from ATI will fix that.

When I plugged in my Xbox controller every other problem I had vanished. (Except for the mouse cursor which I neatly tucked away in a corner)
just wnted to say that your avatar powned my ass :p

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Jandau said:
Just tried it. Wow, it was pretty terrible...

Seriously, this is the worst PC port I've had the misfortune of playing since Resident Evil 4. And no, I'm not an elitist PC gamer with a high end rig that declares every port to be TERRIBLE. Most ports are ok. Hell, I think the Darksiders 2 port is perfectly decent - it lacks some advanced visual options, but the game looks good, run smooth and the M&K controls are perfectly reasonable.

But this... this is just sad. The M&K controls are borderline unworkable, the button prompts are still A/B/X/Y, the same prompt often requires different keyboard inputs (I'm guessing just to fuck with me) like "A" sometimes being "Q" and sometimes "Enter", the mouse speed seems to change randomly from slow to squirrel-on-coffee for no apparent reason, and so on and so forth.

At this point I whipped out my controller, since I figured it might solve my problems. Mind you, it's not a 360 controller, but I've used it on a bunch of games, from the aforementioned Resident Evil 4 all the way to the latest Assassin's Creed games. I plugged it in, and the buttons weren't correctly mapped. No matter, I thought - I'll just go remap what needs to be remapped.

Then I realized that it has no options for remapping the controller buttons. At all.

At this point I just quit the game. Maybe I'll try again in a month or two. Hopefully it will be brought to a workable state by the community. Please note I haven't done any bitching about the graphics or the resolution or other such crap. No, I don't really care about that. But the game lacks BASIC FUNCTIONALITY. And no, I'm not buying a new controller just so I can play one game...
You should be able to use one of several free programs to remap your buttons, actually. I'm...not very skilled in that area, however, and can only offer it as an idea. I know XPadder (should?) be able to accomplish it, but it also isn't free for the new version, sadly.

Sep 14, 2009
Rednog said:
gmaverick019 said:
Rednog said:
I wish I could play it buy I made the mistake of ordering from Greenman Gaming, 48 hours since they got their keys and people who preordered still don't haven't gotten them.
"still don't haven't gotten them"..

You can has before the after day that comes before the weekend of release.

OT: Not sure what people were expecting...but with the small fixes/tweaks, it seems like a great game so far, i'll buy it at 40 bucks.
Oh man bro you totally showed me, you da boss now. I'm so humiliated that I made a mistake on the interwebs. I'm totally and completely wrong about Greenman now, I don't deserve the game because I durp'd my message. I should probably throw myself off a bridge.
(It was all in good fun, believe me I am king of typo mistakes usually. In case you are also being sarcastic, touche sir.)