Dark Souls PC port to use GFWL

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
This is a really bad decision by From. They have lost my sale on this alone, even though I already own it on I would have really liked playing the game without the stop-frame animation going on with the PS3 version. Also the guaranteed cleaner graphics would be a nice plus.

Right now I'm just going to avoid the PC version unfortunately, GFWL is nothing but a glitchy fist up PC gamers asses and I don't want to support it or From's decision in any way.

EDIT: I can say that I wasn't assuredly going to buy this game again on PC, but now that I know what they are using for DRM they've darn well assured that I will NOT buy it again for a superior system.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
On top of GFWL being absolutely God-awful, its region locked. That is, you can't buy anything over if you're outside of North America, certain parts of Europe and Japan. THAT is some of the biggest bull ever. On top of that, that would make damn sure your game loses tons of sales. Its absolutely fucking retarded to do that. You want DRM? Get Steam. Steam sales make people who'd otherwise not get it get it in droves, making up for any loss the discount would give, not to mention that LOTS of people will be glad to pre-order it. Also: ITS NOT REGION LOCKED!
Capcha: this is it

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
I just yelled about it here. https://twitter.com/#!/AdamJensenSI/status/190198698918166530

GFWL is the worst thing in gaming since Custer's Revenge.
Anyone who uses GFWL has gotta be trying to commit suicide, it's the only explaination.

Also, for clarification sake, did you work on anything relating to Deus ex to have a twitter and webpage link regarding them or did you just have good timing and snatched it up before anyone else?

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
And here I was, being so happy that Dark Souls would be on PC, and now this...
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/ The only thing to sum my feelings up accurately.
CAPTCHA: royal flush. Anyone got something witty to make with this?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:
I just yelled about it here. https://twitter.com/#!/AdamJensenSI/status/190198698918166530

GFWL is the worst thing in gaming since Custer's Revenge.
Anyone who uses GFWL has gotta be trying to commit suicide, it's the only explaination.

Also, for clarification sake, did you work on anything relating to Deus ex to have a twitter and webpage link regarding them or did you just have good timing and snatched it up before anyone else?
What Webpage link? it's just timing :p

Although Elias Toufexis and eidos montreal are following me, which is cool.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
Oh yeah! And I just wanted to point out that you can't spell God awful without GWFL. XD

Captcha: best seller. It's what Dark Souls won't be on PC if it operates off GWFL.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I guess it was easier for them to port over the multiplayer this way.

Still buying, but I won't like this crap. It even ruins box art dammit.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
You want DRM? Get Steam. Steam sales make people who'd otherwise not get it get it in droves, making up for any loss the discount would give, not to mention that LOTS of people will be glad to pre-order it. Also: ITS NOT REGION LOCKED!
Steam is waaaay the fuck region locked, it's just that they service all the regions despite keeping them vigorously seperated.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
The thing that amazes me the most is that people begged for a PC port and now they refuse to buy it because of GFWL.
I think that is a perfectly reasonable response. If a game costs more than $10 then it isn't worth the hassle of GFWL. I do have some GFWL games but with the exception of Fallout 3 I haven't ever paid more than $10 for them. I bought Fallout 3 as soon as the no-GFWL mod was released, which was about two weeks after release.

Now I don't care for button mashing games if they don't have a compelling reason for playing so I never really wanted this game on PC (Give me RDR though) and I had no intention of buying it anyway but there is zero chance I will pay more than $10 for it unless GFWL can be modded out like Fallout 3.

EDIT: A lot of people say that GFWL is a cancer on PC Gaming, it isn't, it's Syphilis.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
You want DRM? Get Steam. Steam sales make people who'd otherwise not get it get it in droves, making up for any loss the discount would give, not to mention that LOTS of people will be glad to pre-order it. Also: ITS NOT REGION LOCKED!
Steam is waaaay the fuck region locked, it's just that they service all the regions despite keeping them vigorously seperated.
At least you can GET stuff on Steam without getting a "MOVE TO THE US, TARD!" message.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
ruthaford_jive said:
Forgive my ignorance... and laziness to do my own research, but what is GFWL?
Games for Windows Live which is a horrible online service. Many other people here have said better than I can.
captcha :i see. Ok I can live with the stereotyping ads from Little Caesars but I will not stand for captchas with precognition.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
This is really disappointing. GFWL is an extraordinarily bad service and asserts itself between you and the game like no other.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how DS turns out.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Huh. I guess the rumors that GFWL was going to be shut down soon weren't true after all. Pity. I was kind of looking forward to watching publishers scramble to keep their games working.

SajuukKhar said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Yes, but what would you rather have: buggy games or your computer being part of a botnet?
Well since I already use Steam, whic monitors all the shit I do while playing Steam games anyways.

i would want neither personally.
I don't think you understand. Origin doesn't just monitor stuff; it actually uses your CPU and connection to run spambots and shit. Somebody caught it making fake accounts in support of a pro-EA petition.

Also Steam doesn't monitor anything besides your gaming habits. Where did you get that idea?