Dark Souls Publisher May Reconsider Games for Windows Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dark Souls Publisher May Reconsider Games for Windows Live

Namco Bandai is "aware" of the petition against Games for Windows Live in Dark Souls.

First, the internet demanded [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115111-Gamers-Demand-Dark-Souls-PC-Port] that Namco ditch Games for Windows Live and make it a Steam title - or anything but GFWL, really. And who knows? The internet might just get what it wants - again.

Internet petitions are generally dismissed as vehicles of futile fanboy rage, but the 92,000 signatures calling for a PC port of Dark Souls no doubt had some impact on the decision to make it happen and notice has also been taken of the 20,000 signatures that have so far landed on the anti-GFWL petition. "We are aware of the petition against Games for Windows Live, but that's a more publishing side of the question," Dark Souls Producer and Director Hidetaka Miyazaki said in a recent interview.

Speaking for the publishing side, a Namco Bandai rep took it from there. "For Games for Windows Live, that's the established server we used for our 360 version for the console - that is the main reason that we've picked the Xbox Live server," he said. "The partnership is still ongoing, so we might have another announcement regarding publishing."

That's not really saying anything of value, but the important point is that the publisher is aware of the opposition to GFWL. "We (the whole European team) have been feverishly gathering all your thoughts and comments and will be approaching the development teams etc with this ASAP and we will move on from there," Consumer and Community PR Executive Hollie Bennett wrote on the Namco Bandai forums [http://www.uk.namcobandaigames.eu/community/topics/abandon-the-use-of-gfwl-in-dark-souls-pc/page/5]. "Don't worry your voices have not been forgotten."

Dark Souls [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Playstation-3/dp/B004NRN5EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334699421&sr=8-1] comes to the PC on August 24.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
we did not demanded for the port, we asked. sure, some people were screaming with words like entitled and they must release it on pc. we asked for the port and gave reasons why that would be a good move.

in the case of GWFL however is... yeah you can say you demand it, because if they don't you could decide to not buy the game. but i don't see a petition as a demand, but more as a way to make things you would like to happen known.

in my case, i have the console version, i want to have the extra content as DLC. i can demand it, by saying stuff like: "we are your original fanbase", "i supported you", etc. but i don't, i ask them to give us the content (and by giving i mean, give us the possibility to get it, even if that means paying for it) and give them good reasons. stuff as: "there are enough people who would buy it" and "by doing this you are getting respect from your consumers, who then buy more easily from you."

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Yeah, Guessed as much that was the reason they wanted to stick with GFWL architecture, Would save a good chunk of Dev time and money... Saying that... it can't be understated how much GFWL sucks on pc. So hard. *shudders* Getting DoW2 Flashbacks now...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ruairi iliffe said:
Yeah, Guessed as much that was the reason they wanted to stick with GFWL architecture, Would save a good chunk of Dev time and money... Saying that... it can't be understated how much GFWL sucks on pc. So hard. *shudders* Getting DoW2 Flashbacks now...
And Batman: Arkham Asylum... and Fallout 3... and Street Fighter 4...

It's good to see that they're considering it, at least.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
Wow... sounding a bit nasty there in the first paragraph there, guy.

But really, to get on subject I guess this is good. They'll get more sales if they go to Steam, and while I've never tried GFWL I know some people who have, though, and they say it's horrible.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I didn't have any real interest in this game but if they drop GFWL and go drm-free I'll probably pick it up on principle. If they drop GFWL and release it through Steam I'll probably get it too, but I'll wait for a Steam Sale.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think any company that releases their game on GFWL should be forced to actually USE IT before hand.

Then, well, there goes GFWL because they'll either stop using it or MS will bankrupt themselves by trying to bribe developers to use it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
No! You fool! Do you know what you've done?! If you go ahead with no GFWL you will have indirectly caused the destruction of several hundreds, if not thousands of mice, keyboards, monitors even a few laptops for Christ's sake!

GFWL was supposed to save them from this terrible fate dammit. Now there will be nothing but Fire. And with Fire comes Disparity... And a world more heavy metal than heavy metal.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
On the other hand, though, anyone expecting more than a copy-paste port is in for a kick in the balls... and before anyone says 'but free extra content', word has it that it was already planned as DLC for consoles before they made a decision on a PC version.

The happy fuckwits at Namco have decided that kb+m support will be minimal and no hi-rez/visual options included. No solid word on mods yet.

If GFWL wasn't a turn off for me (it was borderline) thoughts of MASSIVE console style GUIs and a lack of graphics options is getting there... and if they go out of their way to prevent modding via .ini the way ME3 did... not looking good insofar as me handing over money goes.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

The best mod for Fallout 3 was undoubtedly the one that removed GFWL. I've reached a point in my life where no game is worth having to put up with GFWL.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
They can keep GFWL in there if it means getting a proper port. I'm all in no matter what... unless the frame rates are going to be capped, then they can keep it. If I want to play the game all choppy, I'll stick to the PS3 version.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Maybe if a publisher drops GFWL just because of the sheer force of fan hate, microsoft will get off their fucking asses and fix the thing. Or get rid of it forever (please gods).

I guess GFWL is just part of the games difficulty.

Apr 28, 2008
I really hope they drop it. It has brought me nothing but pain and sadness.

lacktheknack said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Oh god Fallout 3.

[sub]Hold me.[/sub]

Dragonmaster3

Mar 30, 2010
First of all, we aren't "demanding", second of all if you've ever played on the PC, you would know what an abomination GFWL really is. I hate it when news sites really try to show the consumer base like they're fickle creatures who act like they want everything in the world. We asked for a port, and when they added shit into the port, we are asking them to remove that shit. And on top of this, we're paying for the product, we should at least expect it to work, am I not correct? Just my two cents there.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Dragonmaster3 said:
First of all, we aren't "demanding", second of all if you've ever played on the PC, you would know what an abomination GFWL really is. I hate it when news sites really try to show the consumer base like they're fickle creatures who act like they want everything in the world. We asked for a port, and when they added shit into the port, we are asking them to remove that shit. And on top of this, we're paying for the product, we should at least expect it to work, am I not correct? Just my two cents there.
I think the past few months have shown that the majority of video game media has nothing but contempt for fans, consumers, and internet activism in general. In fact, they think you should be ashamed for having expectations of quality, functionality, or satisfaction from the products you pay for.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
blackdwarf said:
we did not demanded for the port, we asked. sure, some people were screaming with words like entitled and they must release it on pc.
This, please don't use sensationalism words just to generate traffic, this site is better than that. And nup, i am not demanding it.

If we judge social movements by their lowest representatives, not one will be left standing.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
>.>

i didn't demand a damned thing, ASKED for Dark Souls. big difference.
but they really should have ether listened to suggestions for steam in the first place though.
ether way, glad they're least listening

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Irridium said:
I really hope they drop it. It has brought me nothing but pain and sadness.

lacktheknack said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Oh god Fallout 3.

[sub]Hold me.[/sub]

It's OK, dear... oh, don't cry... here, have your <link=http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086>teddy bear, it'll protect you from the nasty interfaces... shhhhh...