Dark Souls Sells 2.3 Million Copies

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dark Souls Sells 2.3 Million Copies

From Software and Namco Bandai reveal that Dark Souls is now murdering gamers in more than two million homes around the world.

From Software has revealed that Dark Souls, the developer's brutally difficult action-RPG, has sold more than 2.3 million copies since its original release in October of 2011. This is a significant increase from sales figures reported in March of 2012, when Dark Souls had moved 1.19 million units and helped boost publisher Namco Bandai's profits to its highest in years. According to information released at an event by From Software's executive director, Eiichi Nakajima, about half a million copies were sold in Japan with the remaining 1.8 million finding homes in North America and Europe.

While still not reaching the level of mega sellers like Call of Duty, 2.3 million copies sold is still quite good for a game that is arguably on the niche side of the spectrum. Though its sales point to there perhaps being a larger audience for games like Dark Souls, it's still surprising when you consider its predecessor, the PS3-exclusive Demon's Souls, was considered a success for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99980-Demons-Souls-Sales-Triple-Expectations>selling 280,000 copies after two quarters on the market. Granted, one and a half years is a bit longer than two quarters, but it's still a pretty remarkable difference and definitely something that From Software and Namco Bandai have every right to be proud of.

The reveal of these sales figures comes hot on the heels of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123218-Dark-Souls-II-First-Look-Is-Suitably-Lethal>gameplay footage of Dark Souls II, which was shown off by From Software and Namco Bandai just a few days ago. The game's director also recently confirmed that Dark Souls II will be maintaining <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123231-Dark-Souls-II-Director-Confirms-Its-High-Difficulty>the high difficulty standards of its predecessors, news that came as a delight to the franchise's fans. Now all they need is a firm release date to let them know when to strap on their armor and prepare to die.

Source: <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538569>Neogaf via <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/dark-souls-crosses-23-million-sales-6406891>GameSpot

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Im really glad to hear this. Dark Souls is one of the best games ive ever played. The combat is deep, the story deep and fun to piece together, and just the overall atmosphere.

Cant wait for Dark Souls 2.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
How many of those games where replacements for discs snapped in frustration? I wonder if this will also encourage Japanese developers/publishers to send their games to the West more often. If it's sold nearly four times as many copies outside of Japan then their other games could too, which might help keep things fresh over here.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
thethird0611 said:
Im really glad to hear this. Dark Souls is one of the best games ive ever played. The combat is in depth, the story deep and fun to piece together, and just the overall atmosphere.

OT:So they sold another 1mill after a year...Considering that a newer version, how many new players does this reflect upon?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
mad825 said:
not_sure_if_serious-jpg.826/
Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) has elegance out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.

The story too, is extremely deep and interesting if you research all the items descriptions, npc dialogues, and your surroundings. It's unconventional in that sense, since the story isn't really told to the player, more like woven into the world.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
mad825 said:
thethird0611 said:
Im really glad to hear this. Dark Souls is one of the best games ive ever played. The combat is in depth, the story deep and fun to piece together, and just the overall atmosphere.

OT:So they sold another 1mill after a year...Considering that a newer version, how many new players does this reflect upon?
Serisouly? Your first reply to my post is a picture?

Yes, the combat is deep. I have 5 characters who I play with, and it changes the game each time. Now the story? Hold on... let me show you just how in depth it is...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9

My favorite lore guy. 14 videos. Of Lore/Story. And we still don't know everything. The story doesnt lay itself out for you on a red carpet and tells you everything upfront. Did you know that the ending may not even matter? That the serpents may of been playing us all along? That in Oolacile, one of the serpents actually helped cause the spread of Manus?

Yeah. Deep story.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
But how did they manage to break even with such slow market penetration? How many studios did they have to shut down?
Heheh. I see. That was pretty

, what you did just there.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.
And that poster was stating that it was complex. What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.

The story too, is extremely deep and interesting if you research all the items descriptions, npc dialogues, and your surroundings. It's unconventional in that sense, since the story isn't really told to the player, more like woven into the world.
Items descriptions and npc dialogues are vague as hell to the point it has no meaning. Yeah, the surroundings are any better;look! that's a nest, expect to attack insects!...Yeah...
thethird0611 said:
Serisouly? Your first reply to my post is a picture?

nice comeback, learn memes.

Yes, the combat is deep. I have 5 characters who I play with, and it changes the game each time.
Fighting sword, fight at close range. uses bow, fights at distance...There isn't really much, magic is the only complex mechanic in the game.

Now the story? Hold on... let me show you just how in depth it is... The story doesnt lay itself out for you on a red carpet and tells you everything upfront.
No, instead it throws a pile of books on the floor and expects you to form a thesis. I'm not asking to tell me story but to give me hints, a reason, reminder. anything and I mean anything but not nothing.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
mad825 said:
And that poster was stating that it was complex.
Uh.... no... In fact you quoted it yourself. He said "in depth". As in the word "deep".

What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.
nnnnnn....no. I'm pretty sure most designers call it elegance. It's the same principle that makes pokemon and the mario RPGs so popular. A simple starting point that opens up to a large amount of meaningful player decisions.

Items descriptions and npc dialogues are vague as hell to the point it has no meaning. Yeah, the surroundings are any better;look! that's a nest, expect to attack insects!...Yeah...
Don't blame the game if you don't want to pay attention. Half the fun of the Dark Souls world is piecing together its many mysteries.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
good, and again, I hope they drop GFWL so more people will get on board (or be able to play it in my case)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
But, but... it has to sell at least 10 million to be considered a profitable game, everyone knows that, Square Enix said so. /sarcasm

Good for them, they totally deserve it

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Uh.... no... In fact you quoted it yourself. He said "in depth". As in the word "deep".
...It's the same thing
nnnnnn....no. I'm pretty sure most designers call it elegance. It's the same principle that makes pokemon and the mario RPGs so popular. A simple starting point that opens up to a large amount of meaningful player decisions.
And WoW? CoD? right? popularity does not equal quality. Regardless, it shows on which side of the fence you're on. Fanboyism.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
The game was brilliant, I'm still finding ways to play through the game in different ways and challenge myself. Still have a dragon ascendant build and a darkwraith build to get through. And all those silly boss themed builds I keep promising myself I'm going to make XD

So much to do, so little time before Dark Souls II >.<

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I miss the days when 2.3 million were considered a success, I'm glad Dark Souls is selling pretty good, it's definitely one of the very best RPG's I've ever played and one of my favorite games of this generation.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
mad825 said:
Innegativeion said:
...It's the same thing

Depth and complexity are very different things in game design if you look at any writing on game design that will be their I have seen it from multiple independent sources. Depth is about number of meaningful player decisions, complexity is just number of variables at any point where complexity does not add depth its just getting in the way.
And WoW? CoD? right? popularity does not equal quality. Regardless, it shows on which side of the fence you're on. Fanboyism.
Fanboyism would suggest that they were trying to argue by saying something like "this game is awesome your an idiot for not liking it". You were the first one to try and dismiss the argument, as opposed to provide actual reason by calling them fanboys. Disagreeing is fine, and so is deciding not to discuss further. Dismissing the argument by classifying your opponent as something not to be respected just worsens the whole situation, and keeps everybody form growing.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Excellent news. This game deserves it, and more. Fantastic combat/story/leveldesign, everyone already knows why this game is so great (cept mad825), so congrats dark souls!