Dark souls Vs. Skyrim

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
The one thing I always find interesting about dark souls when people discuss it is that there is never any consistency about what is difficult. What might take some one hours takes some one else only minutes.

I didn't find the game hard per se. I did die alot, but I had beaten demon souls so I kinda new what to expect and what kind of build to use for my first run through

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Action JRPGs, man (or Japanese ARPGS?). The hardcore difficulty, emphasis on precise mastery of the mechanics, focus on learning enemy attack patterns, and even the outsize weapons are all things you see in this sort of Japanese game. Compare From Software's earlier Otogi, which nobody would call a WRPG - similar design philosophy (but little lighter on the difficulty haha).

Well to be fair all the massive weapons make sense in that game. You use souls to make yourself really really strong. If you don't meet the strength requirements, you swing them around like a normal person would swing a giant sword around. Clumsily, slowly, and without actually doing much damage.

Another thing i love about this game. They don't skip out on the animations. If you try to equip a weapon that you don't have the str for, the game doesn't just say "no you can't equip this, insufficient stats", it gives you the weapon and giggles when you try to swing it at something only to release a really slow attack that in the end just bounces off the enemy.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I'm gonna have to go with Dark Souls. It tells a great story through mystery in ADDITION to teaching the player how to get better.

To quote AcornFilms on the Demon's Souls review: "A lot of people will, from the outset, hate this game, because it doesn't play itself, for them...A testament to a good game is that it makes you get better. Kinda like playing Super Smash Bros with friends, you either get better and hold your own, or you go home and cry about it."

This quote effectively demonstrates what Dark Souls does well and what Skyrim and other "RPGlite" games does not do well.

pewpewz

May 29, 2008
These types of comparisons are really hard to make, but I'm gonna go ahead and make one anyway.

Dark Souls.

It's such a hard game, but it's also really polished and well made.
Skyrim had the potential to be an awesome game, but it was completely wasted (in my opinion).

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
ummm skyrim. but i will say that dark souls is an intresting experiment. most games are about empowering the character, skyrim is no exception but dark souls is more about making you feel that you are frail in a world of giants. but your still expected to do your fucking job and save the day.

the souls games make me feel alone and vunerable in a way few games can...i'd say dark souls is the first true example of a survival horror RPG...or a survival fantasy RPG is you aren't creeped out by the game.

but at the end of the day i've sunk 200 hours into skyrim and have had loads of conversations with my friends about it while dark souls...i'm still pretty early in.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Eddie the head said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I fail to see how a role playing game from Japan isn't a Japanese role playing game.
Because, and I am just guessing, it started out as a regional thing but the games as whole move apart in there game play and story structure. If I say I liked Marrowind what other games are like that? Are you going to recommend me FFXwhatever? Or Skyrim? I mean I guess you could keep saying it's a regional thing but keep in mind that a lot of Idaho potatoes are grown in Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Maine. What I am trying to say is it grew out of being a regional thing some time ago.
Okay, please describe what exactly something has to do to be a "JRPG". Does Devil Survivor count? What about Chrono Trigger?

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Okay, please describe what exactly something has to do to be a "JRPG". Does Devil Survivor count? What about Chrono Trigger?
Western RPG's and JRPG's are actually different genres (there are JRPGs made in the west and western RPGs made in Japan, darksouls being one example), and not just a geographical designation.

In short: western RPGs tend to be a vehicle to act out your own fantasies. You usually have a blank slate character, or can at least decide how he/she acts and can customize him/her. You basically create your own narrative (even if the game has a story). You play what you'd like to be.

JRPGs on the other hand are more about narrating a story. You usually have a pre made character, and you can't influence how he or she reacts to certain situations or characters. You play what the devs want you to be.

A more in depth comparison is to be found here:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/western-japanese-rpgs-part-1
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/western-japanese-rpgs-part-2
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/western-japanese-rpgs-part-3

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
Erm, nope? You don't die "more" than in the normal game... The reprecussions are the same: your souls are in a blob to be retaken or lost, and you become hollow if you were not.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
EDIT: For anyone who wants context, allow me to explain.

Once you get past two Gargoyle demons, form a bridge that allows you to bipass several weak NPCs, and then deal with 2 giant knights and about five bat demons, you have to deal with two silver Knights on narrow walkways far, far, above you. They have all the health and strength of black knights, except they have bows. One of them is blocking the way to proceed through the level, and the only way to get up is to run across a ramp then run towards him across the railless walkway... While him and his friend are firing arrows at you... And if they hit you it knocks you to the ground... And if you block it pushes you back so much that it's literally impossible to just slowly edge your way toward him... Finally once you reach the guy he pulls out his sword and takes a few swings at you... That can easily knock you off the ledge.

It turns Dark Souls form "Hard but fair" into "Hard AND unfair"
I don't know what your build is. Yet that part was so easy for me. Just run through it naked with a black knight sword like you practically can the whole game. When you get to the top of that bridge just turn right and charge that knight. A post blocks the left one from hitting you.

OT: Dark Souls all the way. The combat is just too good and intense. Skyrim just gets boring so fast, maybe its because i'm a duel wielder warrior though. Should try a mage or something.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
ColeusRattus said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Western RPG's and JRPG's are actually different genres (there are JRPGs made in the west and western RPGs made in Japan, darksouls being one example), and not just a geographical designation.

In short: western RPGs tend to be a vehicle to act out your own fantasies. You usually have a blank slate character, or can at least decide how he/she acts and can customize him/her. You basically create your own narrative (even if the game has a story). You play what you'd like to be.

JRPGs on the other hand are more about narrating a story. You usually have a pre made character, and you can't influence how he or she reacts to certain situations or characters. You play what the devs want you to be.

Those videos are mostly useful from a comedy standpoint. You're not going to find a common design philosophy in all JRPGs or all WRPGs, because that doesn't reflect the history of the subgenres. JRPGs are in fact best defined as "RPGs from Japan" or "the sort of RPGs they make in Japan," because any other definition is going to miss a substantial subset of what can reasonably be considered JRPGs and/or incorrectly define non-JRPG games as JRPGs.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
ColeusRattus said:
Erm, nope? You don't die "more" than in the normal game... The reprecussions are the same: your souls are in a blob to be retaken or lost, and you become hollow if you were not.
the difference is that NG+ boosts the enemies threat in the form on boosted dmg and health and in some cases more aggressive AI.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
ColeusRattus said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:

Those videos are mostly useful from a comedy standpoint. You're not going to find a common design philosophy in all JRPGs or all WRPGs, because that doesn't reflect the history of the subgenres. JRPGs are in fact best defined as "RPGs from Japan" or "the sort of RPGs they make in Japan," because any other definition is going to miss a substantial subset of what can reasonably be considered JRPGs and/or incorrectly define non-JRPG games as JRPGs.
yes, you are.
9 times out of 10 there are going to be western made RPGs that follow the things that WRPGs are known for, same for JRPGs.
these are TYPES of RPGs, not restricted to location but centered and developed in one.

there are western JRPGs, and there are japanese WRPGs.

but at the end of the day they boil down to one thing, "whos telling the story here?".

in JRPGs you are asked to control the character while the story plays out.
in WRPGs you are asked to be the character while making the story your own.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I've yet to play either but I'd say Dark Souls is probably the better game, but I wouldnt enjoy it due to the difficulty.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Joseph Alexander said:
Kahunaburger said:
ColeusRattus said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:

yes, you are.
9 times out of 10 there are going to be western made RPGs that follow the things that WRPGs are known for, same for JRPGs.
these are TYPES of RPGs, not restricted to location but centered and developed in one.

there are western JRPGs, and there are japanese WRPGs.

but at the end of the day they boil down to one thing, "whos telling the story here?".

in JRPGs you are asked to control the character while the story plays out.
in WRPGs you are asked to be the character while making the story your own.
So does that make your average Bioware game a JRPG? Does it make Devil Survivor a WRPG? Where do we put RPGs with basically no story to speak of, like roguelikes?