Dark souls Vs. Skyrim

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
Dark Souls because Skyrim isn't very well made. The npcs are creepy, the dungeons are all the same and the combat is rubbish. Dark Souls has okay combat and well designed levels but doesn't have much of a story (though this doesn't bother me) and is a bit unfair.
Fittingly, my captcha was "foul play" which sums up my feelings of some parts of Dark souls.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Skyrim mainly because of the giant hidden story full of mind-fuckery the ES series has that most people will never know about.

Sithis = Lorkhan = Akatosh = Talos
Spaceships
Time Traveling War Fractals
Robots from the 9th Era
Gods fusing into other gods to become new gods that are really just older gods

ES has some great lore, they just never outright state it in the game because its so weird

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Skyrim mainly because of the giant hidden story full of mind-fuckery the ES series has that most people will never know about.

Sithis = Lorkhan = Akatosh = Talos
Spaceships
Time Traveling War Fractals
Robots from the 9th Era
Gods fusing into other gods to become new gods that are really just older gods

ES has some great lore, they just never outright state it in the game because its so weird
Dark Souls does that too. The average player may read a book or item description here and there, but then a dedicated player reads everything, pieces it together, and blows your mind.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Skyrim because

A: Skyrim feels alive and breathing compared to dark souls death and not breathing
B: TES already has some amazing lore that I love
C: It's huge
D: DRAGONS and FUS RO DA

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I don't think they can really be compared as they're aiming for different things, but I personally prefer Dark Souls. Its online components offer far more replayability (I have the console version of Skyrim, so no mods) and the lore is more interesting and better presented in my opinion.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dark Souls does that too. The average player may read a book or item description here and there, but then a dedicated player reads everything, pieces it together, and blows your mind.
Does Dark souls have gods that are schizophrenic, suffer from multiple personality disorder, with each personality becoming its own being that fights amongst themselves?

As a note to the above all the gods in ES are doing that, while being 100% dead.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Does Dark souls have gods that are schizophrenic, suffer from multiple personality disorder, with each personality becoming its own being that fights amongst themselves?

As a note to the above all the gods in ES are doing that, while being 100% dead.
I was just pointing out that both games have tons of lore buried in them and most players never realize what they are passing up.

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
Sense I started the thread I might as well give my opinion: Dark souls. I like skyrim, but I never seem to pick it up. It doesn't help that I don't have the free time that I once did, and that I can barely play games while school is breathing down my neck (PHD don't earn themselves)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Dark Souls, mostly because of it's relatively focused, Metroidvania styled world. Certainly isn't nearly as big as Skyrim, but each area is unique with its own particular quirks and enemies. While it's better than Oblivion in that regard, the dungeons in Skyrim get repetitive after awhile due to the lack of variety in tilesets/assets. Dark Souls doesn't have that aimlessness that always gets to me in TES games. The combat is also way more satisfying to me in Dark Souls, trying out different builds is a lot of the fun.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Das Boot said:
Dark Souls on the other hand is pretty much the embodiment of everything that I like about games. The combat, gameplay, bosses, environment, everything was just amazing. The only problem I had with it if you want a challenge you have to wait till ng+.
Really? NG+ was easier then the first time for me because I already knew the enemies and had the upgraded weapons, I don't see how it can be harder (Capra Demon can be a ***** but even in the first playthrough he fucks everyone that gets in that room)

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I was just pointing out that both games have tons of lore buried in them and most players never realize what they are passing up.
Well... most RPGs do. My point was mainly about the absurdity of the ES background lore.

Vivec turned his johnson into a spear named milk-taker that he used to kill a bunch of demon things. It is also one of if not the most powerful weapons ever made.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Well... most RPGs do.

My point was mainly about the absurdity of the ES background lore.

Vivec turned his johnson into a spear named milk-taker that he used to kill a bunch of demon things.
Eh, I prefer how ambiguous Dark Souls' lore is. Finding Velka's Rapier in the Painted World is the perfect example.

Dec 14, 2009
Dark Souls is a better concentrated experience, there's a lot more to that game in terms of combat mechanics and the multiplayer is a unique and well implemented experience, so I'd say Dark Souls is the better game to 'play'.

Skyrim is the better roleplaying game, i.e. creating your own character, playing them like a person, creating their motivations and choosing their role in the world etc, it's a lot more diluted than Dark Souls in terms of combat, but it makes up for it with how immersive the world is.

That's not to say that Dark Souls doesn't have an interesting world, it does, it has great atmosphere. But after playing the game for so many hours, the world is actually tiny compared to Skyrim.

It's funny, I remember first playing Dark Souls and feeling so overwhelmed by the world, it seemed huge, but once you've been everywhere, you realise just how well FromSoftware managed to make so little seem like so much.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Dark souls by far. It just feels more complete, as a gaming experience.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Dark Souls has a zen to it that no other game I've ever played can quite match. Overall though, definitely Skyrim. Both are great imo.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Right now I'd have to lean toward dark souks. I just like the arcade / actiony feel of it once you get the controls figured out.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I'd have to go with Skyrim as I've yet to get my hands on Dark Souls. It looks great, but not particularly something I'd want to play for extended periods of time.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Personally i like Dark Souls better. I just had a lot more fun with it and it certainly felt way more rewarding than anything i ever accomplished in Skyrim.

I also just liked the exploration more in Dark Souls because it was tense and exciting unlike in Skyrim where you pretty much just wander around in hope there'll be something useful around. Not really sure why i say that when i loved New Vegas and the same criticism could be applied there, but i'm guessing it's because i got Skyrim for PC when i'm mainly a console gamer.

So whichever you wanna get i recommend getting it for your platform of comfort, which shouldn't be a problem now that Dark Souls is getting that PC port.

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Personally i like Dark Souls better. I just had a lot more fun with it and it certainly felt way more rewarding than anything i ever accomplished in Skyrim.

I also just liked the exploration more in Dark Souls because it was tense and exciting unlike in Skyrim where you pretty much just wander around in hope there'll be something useful around. Not really sure why i say that when i loved New Vegas and the same criticism could be applied there, but i'm guessing it's because i got Skyrim for PC when i'm mainly a console gamer.

So whichever you wanna get i recommend getting it for your platform of comfort, which shouldn't be a problem now that Dark Souls is getting that PC port.
I have both at the moment actually, just curious on the communities opinion.