Darkest Dungeon Coming to PS4 and Vita Next Year

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Darkest Dungeon Coming to PS4 and Vita Next Year

Brutal adventure coming to Sony consoles.

Red Hook Studios has announced work on a PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita port of punishing dungeon crawler Darkest Dungeon. In a post on PlayStation Blog, Community Manager John Lindvay announced the port and provided a release window of Spring 2016. The PS4 version will be shown publicly for the first time at the PlayStation Experience event in San Francisco next month.

Darkest Dungeon is a turn-based dungeon crawling RPG with challenging party management mechanics. As characters in the adventuring party explore the dungeon beneath the player's ancestral home, they develop psychological and physical ailments. Players must balance the well-being of their adventurers against the need to complete ever more challenging missions in the randomly-generated dungeon.

The game is being independently developed by Red Hook Studios, financed by a successful Kickstarter campaign in October 2013 which collected over $300,000. A PC version has been available in Steam Early Access since February of this year, with the final release on PC scheduled for January 19, 2016.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/11/18/darkest-dungeon-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita-next-year/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I doubt I'll buy it twice, but it's really heartwarming to see a creative indie game like this expanding onto new platforms.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Good. This is definitely a game that everyone should be allowed to enjoy.
Glad to see it hopping to console.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
While I am glad that it is coming to Vita, I am also interested in whether it will come out on GOG or not. I've read rumors that developers are considering the posibility, but I've heard nothing more.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
While this is all well and good, I'd like to know if or when they intend to release it for mobile platforms. I'd really like to be able to play Darkest Dungeon on my tablet.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I hope it's a physical release as I prefer it to digital but it's one of those games I'll gladly bite the cyber-bullet for, I've wanted to play since last March if I'm remembering correctly.

That Mignola-esque art is rediculous!

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Unfortunately the game has been going downhill for months, as updates and changes are introduced that were clearly not well though out. I loved it 6 months ago, but nowadays I'm not alone in saying that I cannot recommend Darkest Dungeon to anyone.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Mike Fang said:
While this is all well and good, I'd like to know if or when they intend to release it for mobile platforms. I'd really like to be able to play Darkest Dungeon on my tablet.
I know this seems pretty good for portable systems(Vita tablet etc) Epsically since it auto saves like mad you can put it down anytime.

Shocksplicer said:
Unfortunately the game has been going downhill for months, as updates and changes are introduced that were clearly not well though out. I loved it 6 months ago, but nowadays I'm not alone in saying that I cannot recommend Darkest Dungeon to anyone.
Was it the corpses or the heartattacks that got you made, or as it both/something else? Myself I still love the game though yes the corpses get annoying at times. Have yet to suffer a heartattack though.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
MerlinCross said:
Mike Fang said:
I know this seems pretty good for portable systems(Vita tablet etc) Epsically since it auto saves like mad you can put it down anytime.

Shocksplicer said:
Was it the corpses or the heartattacks that got you made, or as it both/something else? Myself I still love the game though yes the corpses get annoying at times. Have yet to suffer a heartattack though.
They were both just part of it, the overall approach of the devs was just too slapdash with their updates and changes. And for the record I'm not mad, I knew it was still in development when I bought it, and that the game I loved might not be the game they wound up releasing. It was always a risk. It just turns out that I don't like the game it's become.