Darkest Dungeon Receives January 2016 Release Date

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Darkest Dungeon Receives January 2016 Release Date

The full release version of Darkest Dungeon will be available for purchase on PC and Mac on January 19th, 2016.

Impressing gamers pretty much from the moment it hit Steam Early Access, Red Hook Studio's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/previews/12926-Darkest-Dungeon-Preview-Red-Hook-Studios#&gid=gallery_3765&pid=1>Darkest Dungeon has had countless players hooked on its bleak, madness-filled take on dungeon crawling. And while the in-progress game has been more than enough some, many fans have been waiting with baited breath for its developers to deliver the long-promised final version. Happily, it now seems they won't have to wait much longer.

In an announcement posted yesterday to the game's official website, Red Hook revealed that the full release version of Darkest Dungeon will finally arrive on January 19th, 2016. The team had intended to release the game before the end of 2015, but found its plans delayed by the tragic death of director/artist Chris Bourassa's father-in-law. Since "each person's job is highly specialized" the small studio was forced to postpone while Bourassa was "out of action." That being the case, Red Hook will continue to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142622-Darkest-Dungeon-Adds-A-New-Dungeon-The-Cove-In-Its-Latest-Update>update the Early Access version in the run up to its final release and already has plans to add a new "Abomination" class via a patch which should arrive this November. The final version will initially release on PC and Mac, with plans for PS4 and Vita sometime after.

And just speaking personally, I couldn't be more excited for it. While I've yet to sample the Early Access game. I've had my eye on Darkest Dungeon ever since Escapist EIC Josh Vanderwall wrote about it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14373-Darkest-Dungeon-Early-Access-Preview-Impressions#&gid=gallery_4459&pid=1>back in July. With my backlog finally starting to dwindle down a bit, I might actually be in a position to buy and play it in January without the guilt of my unfinished games hanging over my head. How about you guys? Will you be diving into Darkest Dungeon next year or are you do have yourself saved for something else?

Source: Darkest Dungeon

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
As a person who never buys early access games and is interested in Darkest Dungeon, I am quite pleased.

I wonder if I'll see it on GOG.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Got it for 11? on steam a couple of days ago and I must say I'm hooked. It's quite punishing the first time around, but eases up a bit later on with you gaining exp.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Already played 50h of Early Access on it. It was certainly worth the money, but without any significant change in mechanics or gameplay I can not see myself returning to play the full version, if all that is added is two more areas and more items.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
There are I believe at least two more hero classes to be added and there is some mention of town events as well. maybe I have not been playing it enough recently to pick up on the latest exploits but it seems harder now too. I've noticed a couple of weird glitches in the sound department though, hopefully those will be ironed out soon.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Played a good amount of it but... it just get so repetitive I can't see myself going back anytime soon. Maybe if the character ability would change as you level them up, but they just stay the same so a level 1 hero play more or less exactly the same as a high level one.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Just avoid the Steam forums for this game. Unless you like rabid fans who despise the casuals who can't handle hard grinding, play with corpses switched off, or want a difficulty setting.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
warmachine said:
Just avoid the Steam forums for this game. Unless you like rabid fans who despise the casuals who can't handle hard grinding, play with corpses switched off, or want a difficulty setting.
Hm, I read a lot about how hard it has become instead, implemented with the latest update. In user reviews as well as the forums. But this was during the sale.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
inu-kun said:
Could someone tell me what happnes with the game? I remember Jim saying it became shit with some new elements but later reading those elements are optional.
They added in corpses and heartattacks. Corpses: every enemy can leave behind a corpse, basically a obsticle that can be killed again to take it out the way. The reason they were added was to keep the game positional based as enemies would move up a space when their buddy dies. This was complained for several different reasons.

Heart Attack: this doubles the stress level to 200. At 100 you still get an insanity or virtue, but if you get to 200, boom, auto kill. While people claimed it was way to easy to get up to 200, I have yet to see it, but having an insane party member or two really helps you die

OT; damn I was looking forward to it coming out in the next month or two but can understand.