Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court Expansion Will Launch on June 19

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court Expansion Will Launch on June 19

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1408/1408318.jpgThe first expansion for Darkest Dungeon, titled The Crimson Court, will launch this June.

Darkest Dungeon has had a few updates since it launched in January 2016. We saw the announced back in October of last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169517-Darkest-Dungeon-Game-Shortening-Radiant-Update-is-Now-Live]. Today, that changed, as Red hook Studios announced that the expansion will launch in June.

For PC, Mac, and Linux players, the expansion will launch on June 19, 2017. There's no date set for the PSN version of the game, as Red Hook is waiting to see what issues crop up in the PC build after launch. Once those are addressed, the PSN version will go live. The studio estimates it will be sometime in July.

The expansion will contain:

A new hero class. "Awash in blood and delusion, they bear the burden of a thousand lifetimes."
A new wandering boss: The Fanatic
A new dungeon region: The Courtyard
A full faction of new deadly foes
4 new, unique Courtyard Bosses with some of the most complex and devious mechanics yet.
Massive, sprawling maps with locked doors, prisoner rooms, and progress saves
Districts: New prestige buildings that offer permanent, estate-wide bonuses
Lore-driven trinket sets for all heroes - with set bonuses!

The Crimson Court expansion launches June 19 for PC, Mac, and Linux, and will cost $9.99.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I recently tried to go back and play this, continuing my week 43 file. The new enemies they added recently are insane. I'm looking forward to the DLC but once again question whether I will ever have the patience to save scum my way to the end.

If I had to pick one thing in the game that pisses me off above all others it would be how often after a successful, difficult, and crazy mission I get to the results screen and half my party randomly gets the black plague. I accept getting negative quirks, I accept getting diseased from special enemy attacks and questionable actions regarding curios. I hate winning and being saddled with a crippling disease that needs curing at a high price and takes an otherwise healthy and sane unit out of the rotation, let alone one that also needs stress relief.

If I can achieve victory, screw you for deciding to arbitrarily punish me for playing well. As difficult at it can be, that is really the only thing I would call unfair.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm curious about the story. I quit this game when it first came out because I could not complete missions that were ranked at 5 and 6. Enemies were destroying my team in two or three hits, and I was doing laughable damage to them. So I gave up for a long time.
Then I decided to try it again, and this time I went in with knowledge about the deeper workings of the game and I crushed it. Got the platinum and everything. My biggest complaint--if it can be called that--is that the story seemed a little on the weak side. I liked getting all those journals, but the main story was just kind of meh. So I'm curious to see what they do here, and if they've polished up their storytelling skills, or if it's more of the same.
Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Steam is a terrible master. I really need to get back into this game but more and more new games pop up. There are dry spells to be sure but at other times it's like being a gourmand in the gluttony section of Hell.

Once this comes out, I'll snap it up and finally complete a playthrough of this awesome game.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
FUCK yeah!

Time to go back and finish the game. I've only lost 1 person so far in my whole time playing. My plague doctor got focus-fired 4 times by skeletal marksmen, and death's door failed immediately.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
. I'm looking forward to the DLC but once again question whether I will ever have the patience to save scum my way to the end.
Im not mad, Im disappointed. Having said that, Ive had a few "surprise" squad wipes where Ive stumbled into something unprepared, bitten off more than I can chew or copped an ill timed critical that started a death spiral.

There will always be more heroes though.

A'tuin

May 6, 2013
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I hate winning and being saddled with a crippling disease that needs curing at a high price and takes an otherwise healthy and sane unit out of the rotation, let alone one that also needs stress relief.
Step 1: Start an easy medium-length mission

Step 2: Team up your diseased heroes with Grave Robber and/or Plague doctor.

Step 3: Use Grave Robber's Snuff Box and Plague Doctor's The Cure or Leeches camping skills to cure diseases for free. Snuff Box even removes the disease from Grave Robber herself so it's possible to cure 4 diseases on one camping (if Grave Robber is diseased).

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
This game confuses me. It's fun and different, but I just don't get some of it. My characters are constantly getting ailments and/or dying. I might have to read up on it and try again.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
People here are mentioning save scumming as if this was nothing. Am I missing something? Save scumming in Darkest Dungeon? How?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
You upload to cross save, on PS4 anyways, and then replace it. I keep 3 files, current week, previous week, and 5 weeks ago. If this wasn't an option I'd probably go back to starting from scratch after one enemy crit drives my entire party insane, or if the stage coach refuses to give me hellions, grave robbers, or occultists week after week.

I would just roll with it instead of starting over, but I wanted to get the sub 100 week trophy/practice for Stygian where your time is also limited (even moreso after the updates).

I could have played long term better if I had known going into it that your team will refuse to go back in the Darkest Dungeon after one successful mission there. I was essentially training up an A and B team to rotate each week instead of like 6 teams.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I still haven't even gotten that far into the base game, but my body is nevertheless ready.