Darksiders and Red Faction To Sell Separately

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Darksiders and Red Faction To Sell Separately

THQ's Jason Rubin says the back catalog IP sale will happen soon.

Some are wondering what happened to Homeworld [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121689-Indie-Developer-Tries-to-Salvage-Homeworld-From-THQ], while others want to know where Red Faction will end up, but it would seem - according to THQ's Jason Rubin - that the company's remaining IPs will be sold separately.

Exactly what counts as THQ's back catalog is anyone's guess. Darksiders is, unexpectedly, on that list - which may please Platinum Games, as did it pass over when Sega bought Relic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121685-Darksiders-Studio-Will-Close]? Maybe, but Sega has yet to confirm that it has possession, and the THQ auction document didn't have it on the list of assets.

Rubin - who wasn't about to leave THQ without his personal effects [https://twitter.com/Jason_Rubin/status/294617294422831104] - is sorry to see THQ go, and says he will spend a lot of sleepless nights wondering what could have been done differently. He's particularly upset that Vigil's Crawler - presumably now on the back catalog list - won't be developed by Vigil Games. Rubin called it a jaw-dropper, a fantastic and unique idea.

"The fact that nobody bid for the team and title is a travesty," said Rubin. "It makes no sense to me. If I weren't barred from bidding as an insider, I would have been there with my checkbook."

The back catalog sale will happen some time over the next few weeks, according to Rubin.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/01/24/interview-jason-rubin-talks-about-thq-39-s-struggles-and-final-days.aspx]

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
So THQ said Red Faction was over.
And now they're trying to sell it's corpse.

Meh, I got a couple of hours into Red Faction: Armageddon and found it painfully generic(ditto with Darksiders)
Maybe somebody competent can get something out of it.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
I was really hoping Jason would be able to turn things around down there at THQ. :( I really believe that they could have turned things around if they only had a little more time..

CAPTCHA: "pipe dream" Wow... That's some freaky shit right there

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
A Darksiders game made my Platinum...

Id like to that made reality.

TheSYLOH said:
So THQ said Red Faction was over.
And now they're trying to sell it's corpse.
No, THQ is gone, the people trying to sell Red Faction's corpse are the people trying to clear out the debts that THQ left behind.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
I'd assumed the Warhammer license went to Sega with Relic. They made some great games...I guess I was hoping they'd get the chance to continue.

Eduardo Rivera

Jul 6, 2011
I'm really hoping that someone buys up Darksiders. Although there were many moments I was nearing rage quit status, I endured and was rewarded. It was in no way perfect with all its bugs and glitches, but it was fun. I would hate to see this franchise die without any closure.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Platinum eh? well, I guess it could do worse...AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A WII U EXCLUSIVE! first beyonetta,... I really have no interest in the Wii U, and Darksiders has been one of my favorite game series in the last 4 years. I know times are rough and the developers themseles were left without a job, which still sucks, hopefully some of them might be hired back if hey do continue the project.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
dragongit said:
Platinum eh? well, I guess it could do worse...AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A WII U EXCLUSIVE! first beyonetta,... I really have no interest in the Wii U, and Darksiders has been one of my favorite game series in the last 4 years. I know times are rough and the developers themseles were left without a job, which still sucks, hopefully some of them might be hired back if hey do continue the project.
You people have really got to let that go...really. it wasnt Nintendo being a dick, Platinum was just doing Ninty a solid with Bayonetta 2. If platinum sees the want or need to make it Wii U exclusive, then follow them. SUPPORT THE COMPANYS DECISIONS, GASP. In the end i dont care if its exclusive or not personally, i just wish people would stop MAKING (never said you ment it that way) that platinum were being huge dickholes to make Bayo 2 wii-U exclusive. Besides, darksiders 1 and 2 were spread out to everyone, so have some faith the 3rd, if made will be treated the same. Im tired of people being nit picky (shit-picky) with Platinum. If you love Bayo so much, love the fact they got support from nintendo and can CONTINUE production of the series. christ.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
Darmy647 said:
dragongit said:
You people have really got to let that go...really. it wasnt Nintendo being a dick, Platinum was just doing Ninty a solid with Bayonetta 2. If platinum sees the want or need to make it Wii U exclusive, then follow them. SUPPORT THE COMPANYS DECISIONS, GASP. In the end i dont care if its exclusive or not personally, i just wish people would stop MAKING (never said you ment it that way) that platinum were being huge dickholes to make Bayo 2 wii-U exclusive. Besides, darksiders 1 and 2 were spread out to everyone, so have some faith the 3rd, if made will be treated the same. Im tired of people being nit picky (shit-picky) with Platinum. If you love Bayo so much, love the fact they got support from nintendo and can CONTINUE production of the series. christ.
Exactly, from what I understood, no one wanted to publish Bayonetta 2... so we get what we get with the Wii U (though it (situation) does suck..)

OT :

The problem with Red Faction being for sale separately from Volition is I would think the Geo-Mod engine (which made Red Faction... Red Faction)...(ignoring the existence of Armageddon of course) would belong to Volition.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Cormyre said:
Darmy647 said:
dragongit said:
Exactly, from what I understood, no one wanted to publish Bayonetta 2... so we get what we get with the Wii U (though it (situation) does suck..)

OT :

The problem with Red Faction being for sale separately from Volition is I would think the Geo-Mod engine (which made Red Faction... Red Faction)...(ignoring the existence of Armageddon of course) would belong to Volition.
Thank you for understanding and being a decent person. Platinum has taken a TON of flak for the Wii U exclusivity, which isnt awesome, but when a publisher really wants to continue a series because its FANS, THE MOTHERFU#$#@$ WHO SAID THEY LIKED IT BY BUYING IT...ahem, sorry, anger, but if platinum even bothered with the effort or want to continue, the fans should be happy platinum gave two craps. They could have just packed up and left. Nobody would have blamed them either.