Darksiders II Review

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
My only regret with this game is not having the time I really want with it. My playing will be sparse and spread out. But the hour or so I played of it, it's really fantastic. My other regret is also that I took the liberty of purchasing this and Sleeping Dogs, which is equally awesome for all different reasons. Man, I think all the games I'm really looking forward to this year come out this month. ARGH! FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Good review. Decent review, great clear review actually. Basically because there isn't a lot of fuss made about those little flaws that are there, while the big game websites like IGN make a big deal out of it!

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Was that Cthulu at the very end of the video?

Anyways, this game looks like a Legacy of Kane type game, and since I always enjoyed those I'll be looking into this one. I prefer my Death more Grim Reaper style with the whole black cloak and such, but you can't argue with playing as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

:3 Can't wait to see the game staring Famine..."I'M IN UR FEELDZ, KILLIN' UR CROPZ!"
I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But Famine isn't in the Darksiders version of the Four Horsemen.

Famine and Conquest (also know as Pestilence in some versions) are replaced with two different Horsemen. Fury and Strife.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Absolutionis said:
I'm still conflicted.

I want THQ to succeed and I enjoy platforming games, but on the other hand the cartoony-angsty World of Warcraft aesthetic really kills it for me.
That would be Joe Mad`s fault. This guy can draw but i`m no real fan of his style either. At least i can asure you that it`s all more detailed in DS & DS2 compared to WOW. After a while with the first i didn`t recognize it anymore, that could`ve been just me (never played WOW) but whatever, give it a try, it`s to much fun to let it slip because of the art direction.

As for DS2 this game will have to wait, my budget is way to limited atm.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
FrostyChick said:
RJ 17 said:
Was that Cthulu at the very end of the video?

Anyways, this game looks like a Legacy of Kane type game, and since I always enjoyed those I'll be looking into this one. I prefer my Death more Grim Reaper style with the whole black cloak and such, but you can't argue with playing as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

:3 Can't wait to see the game staring Famine..."I'M IN UR FEELDZ, KILLIN' UR CROPZ!"
I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But Famine isn't in the Darksiders version of the Four Horsemen.

Famine and Conquest (also know as Pestilence in some versions) are replaced with two different Horsemen. Fury and Strife.
No bubble to be burst, it was a joke...hence the faux humorous quote I tacked onto the end.

Emilox The Great

May 26, 2010
Absolutionis said:
I'm still conflicted.

I want THQ to succeed and I enjoy platforming games, but on the other hand the cartoony-angsty World of Warcraft aesthetic really kills it for me.
I dont see it, and i even played wow, what do you mean?

OT: Looks awesome and the review was well done and straight to the point(s), i think ill pick it up right away, the first one was pretty good!

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Is it just me or does that maneuvering around walls animations looks like it was copy pasted from assassins creed and Prince of Persia. Not the same mechanics but the exact same animation.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Scorpid said:
Is it just me or does that maneuvering around walls animations looks like it was copy pasted from assassins creed and Prince of Persia. Not the same mechanics but the exact same animation.
The wall run animation looks like a copy of the Prince of Persia (2008 Version)

The Lever and switch layout looks like God Of War

And the areas looks like a combination of booth mentioned games (especially that scene in the video of a long walkway adorned with two giant statue like in God of War 2)

Game DOES look good but it doesn't FEEL original sure you can take your unique spin on a feature from a previous game but if you copy it EXACTLY then you will have people subconsciously comparing things like 'hey, isn't that wall run look everything like the one in Prince of Persia (2008)? couldn't they give Death a wall run that is DIFFERENT, he have powers right? so why does he need to be gripping and scraping the wall like a human at the mercy of gravity??"

Beyond that if the story's good I'm set

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
FantomOmega said:
Scorpid said:
The wall run animation looks like a copy of the Prince of Persia (2008 Version)

The Lever and switch layout looks like God Of War

And the areas looks like a combination of booth mentioned games (especially that scene in the video of a long walkway adorned with two giant statue like in God of War 2)

Game DOES look good but it doesn't FEEL original sure you can take your unique spin on a feature from a previous game but if you copy it EXACTLY then you will have people subconsciously comparing things like 'hey, isn't that wall run look everything like the one in Prince of Persia (2008)? couldn't they give Death a wall run that is DIFFERENT, he have powers right? so why does he need to be gripping and scraping the wall like a human at the mercy of gravity??"

Beyond that if the story's good I'm set
Yeah I agree. Though one complaint I have if we're going to nit pick about feeling like Death... the model doesn't look like anything anyone would imagine Death incarnate to look like, except for maybe a REALLY cheesy death metal band. To me he just looks like a pro wrestler instead of 'Death'.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
It looks like we don't need to fear the reaper this time.

I might look into it, although that said i never really played the first game so we'll see what happens.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
I quite like the gameplay & etc but one thing I dislike, is the battle sequences/ phases. In parts, you're locked inside closed areas that you have to unlock by defeating all the enemies. I feel like all that was put there just to postpone my God-like rage upon the Bosses or objective.

I actually hope it fixes that or actually adds some kind of significance to those boring side-battles. It was a game that took me 2/3 days to complete. Though, without the random battles... Eh, it'd probably be about the same, just I'd get to the point faster.

A game I remember being like this, is Ghost Rider. And that game I loved for different battles to get from A to B, but when I saw Darksiders was basically like that BUT with an actual story and freedom to roam about... It kind of kill some of my enthusiasm to play.

Darksiders has a lot of puzzles and other thing you need to do. Like: using the hook-rope, portal-gun, fist-of-fury (Can't remember what it's called) to move boxes from one side of the room to the other, and etc, etc. But I didn't feel like they needed to add those random fights. All they did was bore me and make the game seem longer than what it was. If there enemies around, I'm going to kill them (unless it's the same ones that keep respawning constantly and just get harder so I get harder to catch) and yeah...

Maybe I just didn't quite get it. I mean, to climb up things and go places, you have to wipe out enemies anyway. Maybe this is just personal to me, to that I didn't like the battle scenes that were over-used.

Or maybe it's because they were over-used.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Absolutionis said:
I'm still conflicted.

I think aesthetics are gorgeous.

I will surely get this game, even though it's a console port. I hear it runs really well on PC. It just lacks graphics options, but apparently the developer promised that they will make a config.ini file in the next patch.

dawiwwwdd

Aug 17, 2012
I share Darksiders II for free, now you can download this game absolutely for free. http://adf.ly/BycAZ

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Great review Mike!

I already bought and finished the game and was very pleased by it.I really hope this game sells well and we will get a Darksiders 3&4 which would mean we will have to play with Strife and Fury,but after playing this I really want to play more Death.:p

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
This game is just so boring,and it's stretched like hell, dont buy it if you dont have a problem with sleeping