Daunte Wright Accidental Shooting

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Due to being on mobile, I can't post an article yet, but the officer, Kim Potter, is being charged with second-degree murder.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They've released the full body cam video of the female officer who did the shooting.

A lot of mistakes were made here.

1. The officers were handcuffing the man next to the open door of his car. Proper proceedure is to pull the suspect to the trunk of the car for this exact reason. The suspect slipped out of the grip of the officer, and jumped right into the car being able to drive away.

2. The woman obviously grabbed the wrong weapon and didn't notice. However there is clear panic in her voice and they are frankly trying not to let the guy get away.

3. The suspect himself, violently resisted arrest, and did not comply with police orders.

What a lot of people don't understand here is that as a cop you don't know what or why the suspect is getting into the car. For example in Jacob Blake's situation he was leaning towards a panel in which the officers later found a knife. You never know if a guy has a weapon in his car or what. Not to mention that if the suspect can put the car into gear, the car itself becomes a weapon.

Police have the right to defend themselves, and when a suspect is clearly not complying and resisting with violence you have problems.

Now the accidental shooting is a fuck up. However i would not have faulted the officer if she had been warning the man that she would shoot him.

Instead of screaming "I'ma Taze you!" And instead she was clearly warning, "Get out or I'll shoot." And this guy still didn't stop. Then i think the shooting would be justified.

But because off a cascade of cock-ups, this is instead a murder and she will go to jail for it.

After watching the video, this is just bad training by the officers and a bad choice made by the suspect. I don't think this was racially motivated, I think it's pretty clear this lady fucked up and panicked. And as a result will see jail time.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
This is second degree murder? And Chauvin isn't?
I agree that it's off. My best guess is that they are playing hardball with the second degree murder charge, and are planning to plead down to some sort of manslaughter.

Edit: I fucked up. She's being charged with second degree MANSLAUGHTER, not murder.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I agree that it's off. My best guess is that they are playing hardball with the second degree murder charge, and are planning to plead down to some sort of manslaughter.

Edit: I fucked up. She's being charged with second degree MANSLAUGHTER, not murder.
To be fair, it probably is manslaughter in this case, since there’s no way to show intent or prove she knew she had a gun in her hand rather than a taser. You can prove she should’ve known, but it’d be a very difficult depraved indifference case if they tried to push a murder 3 charge, which I don’t even know if that’s an option in Minnesota.

Reactions: thebobmaster

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
...because these events only became well-known due to the proliferation of video recording technology, the first being Rodney King that I can recall due to having been filmed by a bystander of whom the cops weren't aware.
And the initial reaction of more than a few police departments was to agitate to make it illegal to record police during an arrest.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Now that I'm home, an article for the second-degree manslaughter charge.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now that I'm home, an article for the second-degree manslaughter charge.

Manslaughter my ass!

Thank you for the link.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Manslaughter my ass!

Thank you for the link.
In order to convict the officer of murder they'd have to prove that they at least deliberately recklessly endangered the victim's life, which would be quite difficult as the video evidence strongly suggests that the officer believed themselves to be holding a taser.

Proving 2nd degree manslaughter in this case is possible, but not certain. The relevant standard for this offence is showing that the defendant created an unreasonable risk, and consciously took chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another. In order to prove this the prosecution will have to make the case that the defendant had ample opportunity to identify that they were not holding a taser, and their failure to do so constitutes negligence. The defence will argue that it was an unforeseeable accident caused by the stress of the situation.

Reactions: deleted20220709

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
They've released the full body cam video of the female officer who did the shooting.

A lot of mistakes were made here.

1. The officers were handcuffing the man next to the open door of his car. Proper proceedure is to pull the suspect to the trunk of the car for this exact reason. The suspect slipped out of the grip of the officer, and jumped right into the car being able to drive away.

2. The woman obviously grabbed the wrong weapon and didn't notice. However there is clear panic in her voice and they are frankly trying not to let the guy get away.

3. The suspect himself, violently resisted arrest, and did not comply with police orders.

What a lot of people don't understand here is that as a cop you don't know what or why the suspect is getting into the car. For example in Jacob Blake's situation he was leaning towards a panel in which the officers later found a knife. You never know if a guy has a weapon in his car or what. Not to mention that if the suspect can put the car into gear, the car itself becomes a weapon.

Police have the right to defend themselves, and when a suspect is clearly not complying and resisting with violence you have problems.

Now the accidental shooting is a fuck up. However i would not have faulted the officer if she had been warning the man that she would shoot him.

Instead of screaming "I'ma Taze you!" And instead she was clearly warning, "Get out or I'll shoot." And this guy still didn't stop. Then i think the shooting would be justified.

But because off a cascade of cock-ups, this is instead a murder and she will go to jail for it.

After watching the video, this is just bad training by the officers and a bad choice made by the suspect. I don't think this was racially motivated, I think it's pretty clear this lady fucked up and panicked. And as a result will see jail time.
Ironic. She might not be in trouble had she intentionally shot him dead. He violently resisted arrest and got into his car. But like Fruitvale Station, she meant to taze him but grabbed the wrong weapon. That cop did time for involuntary manslaughter.
I think this had less to do with bad training but a cop out of her league. I've read most of her career was as a desk jockey. Why was she out enforcing the law among the public?

Another critic of her notes that as she is pointing her weapon at the suspect, her partner cop crossed into her line of fire and she just continued to point her weapon in her partner's direction. She could have killed her fellow officer.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Another critic of her notes that as she is pointing her weapon at the suspect, her partner cop crossed into her line of fire and she just continued to point her weapon in her partner's direction. She could have killed her fellow officer.
I really wish I could find the article again (I know it was from a major publication, at least) that did a deep dive on the rules, regulations, and legal requirements of taser use to which Potter was held, and pointed out even had she pulled her taser she was using it incorrectly and against regulations. And as you'd expect, had Wright been tased in the same area he was hit by the bullet (i.e. upper left torso) there's a high likelihood it would have sent him into cardiac arrest and killed him anyways.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I really wish I could find the article again (I know it was from a major publication, at least) that did a deep dive on the rules, regulations, and legal requirements of taser use to which Potter was held, and pointed out even had she pulled her taser she was using it incorrectly and against regulations. And as you'd expect, had Wright been tased in the same area he was hit by the bullet (i.e. upper left torso) there's a high likelihood it would have sent him into cardiac arrest and killed him anyways.
Holy... moly. What a cluster.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

I am about to end this man's career.

For one John which is it. Should we listen to Doctor Fauci, and not get in large groups, and follow CDC guidelines, or should we be like when conservatives break the rules that are bad, but when liberals do it it's good because liberals and progressives are good, and or are doing it for a good reason.

Here's a better argument, protest if you have had both doses of either vaccine or 1 dose of J&J's vaccine. Also aren't African Americans, and Hispanic-Americans the most vulnerable to Covid-19. Again John Oliver is in a liberal group-think bubble.

I think people like ReviewTechUsa have the right idea; don't get in large groups period, protesting isn't going to magically stop you from getting Covid because you're being a moral person. Also, the pros of protesting are too hypothetical, maybe you will get some attention, maybe something will be done, likely either won't get done because of Manchin, and Sinema. I am sick of Americans do everything yourself solutions. Poor people: donate some money, hungry people, don't waste food, climate change: don't do a myriad of things like having kids, driving, etc. But corporations and people in power don't have to do ANYTHING. They could sell out to centrist as AOC did by donating to them and hiring VP Harris's former legislative director, but YOU have to solve everything.

If every progressive just disappeared, we would still have climate change. If every progressive marched against racism, and police brutality we would still have dead people of color, etc.

We need pivotal actors to do something, and it's not us who are preaching to the choir. It's congress, the media, and corporations.

Edit: The video says: John Oliver to White Americans: 'March in the streets'.

Edit2: I actually think climate change requires us to throw the kitchen sink at it by doing all low carbon energy and reducing consumption, but corporations and people in the power have to be impacted too.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Also, has anyone seen John Oliver in a fucking march? Because I have marched and knocked on doors to get progressive candidates in office, where was John Oliver when Bernie Sanders needed his support, I knocked on doors and donated. He's an elitist that wants YOU to do all the work for him because he couldn't be bothered to do anything from his liberal ivory tower or anything to threaten his privilege like Hassan Minaj. John Oliver is just a pawn of HBO and is too comfortable being a limousine liberal like Stephen Colbert who also sold out similarly to Time Warner.