David Banner Returns in The Incredible Hulk Movie Trilogy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
David Banner Returns in The Incredible Hulk Movie Trilogy

Though the TV series was over, it wasn't the end of The Incredible Hulk.

Read Full Article

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
MovieBob said:
The House of Ideas spent the 70s, 80s and 90s trying like hell to make the Hulk magic work for their other heroes, and next week we'll see how it went for their most popular hero: Spider-Man.
Oh goodness. Run while you can people, MovieBob is going to talk about Spider-Man!

I'm actually looking forward to this as I didn't really get much exposure to Spider-Man until Toby Maguire, which I really love. Hopefully this will be a conversation about comics and cartoons, without getting side tracked by how much Amazing may or may not suck.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
TiberiusEsuriens said:
MovieBob said:
The House of Ideas spent the 70s, 80s and 90s trying like hell to make the Hulk magic work for their other heroes, and next week we'll see how it went for their most popular hero: Spider-Man.
Oh goodness. Run while you can people, MovieBob is going to talk about Spider-Man!

I'm actually looking forward to this as I didn't really get much exposure to Spider-Man until Toby Maguire, which I really love. Hopefully this will be a conversation about comics and cartoons, without getting side tracked by how much Amazing may or may not suck.
What you've never seen the 1977 live action Spider Man film? Yeah next week will be interesting.

I believe this series is focusing on live action Marvel properties made before 1998's Blade only.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
youji itami said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
MovieBob said:

What you've never seen the 1977 live action Spider Man film? Yeah next week will be interesting.

I believe this series is focusing on live action Marvel properties made before 1998's Blade only.
Yeah, the only Marvel stuff I've seen before the 90s was from the TV Land channel. Remember back when if people wanted to watch old content, they had to find a TV channel dedicated to it or rent it because the internet barely existed? ;)

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
I wonder if he will do anything on the Japanese Spider-Man live action show. It is an interesting watch to say the least.

OT: Yeah, the movies ranged from okay to just bad. Still, I never knew they were planning to make a 4th movie.

Brian Sperduto

Apr 1, 2010
Oh yea, the Spider Man and Captain America TV movies were so bad, but I adored them as a kid. After reading this one about the Hulk, and all the memories that brings back, looking forward to the next one.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
TiberiusEsuriens said:
youji itami said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
MovieBob said:

Yeah, the only Marvel stuff I've seen before the 90s was from the TV Land channel. Remember back when if people wanted to watch old content, they had to find a TV channel dedicated to it or rent it because the internet barely existed? ;)
Pre-web life was a dark time for humanity. No Tivo, no High Definition, no Google.

I honestly could not go back to the 80s. Some of my friends long for days gone by, and I can see the appeal of that for some (for reference, most of my friends and I are in our 40s). But not me. I long for the days of tomorrow. Show me the next cool scientific advancement or tech breakthrough, that's my idea of nirvana. :)

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Bixby will - for me at least - be the only real true Bruce David Banner, he bought a gentleness and overall like-ability to the character that really made it his, and it was hearing someone like him say "don't make me angry, you won't like it when I'm angry!" that sorta scared me and what ultimately sold me the character, and subsequently the Hulk, really making them come to life.

I don't think anyone live action has been able to capture it as good... even with the cheesy 70s effects which says a lot!

LoL

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
Will they bring back Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk? Well maybe not, it's been a long time, Lou Ferrigno has aged and he may not be up too it but they need to at least have a body builder play the Hulk. There is a very good reason why the Lou Ferrigno Hulk is the best looking Hulk.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
So you'll be tackling Marvel's pre-Blade movies?
Will it include the greatest of them all - Howard the Duck, or will you limit yourself to Spider-Man, Captain America, Fantastic Four and maybe Nick Fury?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Between the three, you get about one good movie. Maybe 1.5.

youji itami said:

Be that as it may, I'd be shocked if he didn't bring up the movies that he's been bringing up at every opportunity.

Brian Sperduto said:
Oh yea, the Spider Man and Captain America TV movies were so bad, but I adored them as a kid. After reading this one about the Hulk, and all the memories that brings back, looking forward to the next one.
I think it was also filtered by the notion of this being the best we could expect from comic movies at the time. Even after Burton's Batman came out, there was still an incredibly low bar.

TiberiusEsuriens said:
God bless the advent of DVD. Not only do I get to watch old classics, but the cheese filler that made up most of my childhood.

80sboy said:
Bixby will - for me at least - be the only real true Bruce David Banner
I would think so--haven't all the other TV/movie adaptations used the original comic name of Robert "Bruce" Banner instead? That would make Bixby the only true David Banner by default. >.>

Sophistry aside, Bixby was good at what he did.