David Cage Awarded the Legion of Honor

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Osaka117 said:
I can't wait to see Matt, Pat, and Woolies reaction to this! I'm more interested in that than the award itself.
They would likely think well that is wacky France for you... The only reason he is getting the award as stated is because he stayed in France instead of movie operations to a country that would give him better benefits pretty much... Honestly if I was Cage which thankfully I am not I would rather recieve more money...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm getting the feeling that the people awarding him this have only HEARD of his games and never actually played them. Because I really don't want to believe that their standards are that low.

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
Well they already knighted Frederic Raynal(Alone in the Dark), Michel Ancel(Rayman) & Miyamoto a few years ago.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Well as far as I know David Cage has never surrendered, so technically he's done better than any other French soldier.
I always find it sad when we make fun of a country for something their grandparents did 70+ years ago while we take credit for something our grandparents did 70+ years ago.

"Hurrdy hurr, dem frenchies always surrender. If we din't save dem dey'd be tawkin Germin today."

Umm, no, WE didn't save them. Our grandparents did...and waited till it was almost too late. Besides, they had good reason to surrender. They were confronted with a surprise invasion by an extremely superior force and considering France (Paris particularly) was one of the cultural capitols of the world they had to protect what they had. Imagine what would have been lost if they had tried fighting with what ill-prepared forces they had at the time. The Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, Palace of Versaille, The Mona Lisa, countless other museums, monuments and works of art that they may not have been able to save in time.

Besides, I have no doubt in my mind that today's Americans would do so much worse and surrender far more quickly were we to actually be faced with real opposition and not the farmers and goat-herders we HAVE been picking fights with for the last 50 years. Just look at how quickly we roll over when our cities get hit by a one-night storm (Katrina, etc.) or get 2 inches of snow (East coast) or heaven forbid lose power for a few days.

Appropriate Captcha: Cut and Run

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
(to join the bash-mob)
Crazy Zaul said:
He needs a slap on the back of the head, ...
...everytime he says 'emotions', 'polygon' or mentions one of his games!

the intention of France may be right - honoring non-taxevading businesses - but it's still the wrong man.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh this will produce some HILARIOUS youtube comments.

The LPs of his games are AMAZING though, there is just SO MUCH to laugh at and make fun of that I have watched the same game played 10 times and each and every time the jokes were different.

David Cagé is the grand master of unintentional comedy. He is the Shayamallan of gaming.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Having read this far I can at least pressume that the forces responsible for David Cage recieving this award are most certainly more intelligent and reasonable than the majority of voices on this thread.

Good for him.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Osaka117 said:
I can't wait to see Matt, Pat, and Woolies reaction to this! I'm more interested in that than the award itself.
Sadness will be the reaction

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I don't necessarily think David Cage deserves the award, good for him! I'm not a man to deny someone an award gifted by other people, especially considering that I haven't played any of his games and I have no idea about the state of businesses in France.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Kuala BangoDango said:
Umm, no, WE didn't save them. Our grandparents did...and waited till it was almost too late. Besides, they had good reason to surrender. They were confronted with a surprise invasion by an extremely superior force and considering France (Paris particularly) was one of the cultural capitols of the world they had to protect what they had. Imagine what would have been lost if they had tried fighting with what ill-prepared forces they had at the time. The Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, Palace of Versaille, The Mona Lisa, countless other museums, monuments and works of art that they may not have been able to save in time.
I know the French didn't really chicken out, and they aren't defined by a single action over half a century ago.

It's still hilarious to joke about though!

(But seriously - props for sticking up for them)

In other news, I always thought David Cage looked like his head was on upside down because of his smooth baldness/stubble chin.

I got bored and decided to turn his head upside down using the image in the thread picture, with as little photoshop as possible to remain true to his actual real head texture

Voila:

That is disturbingly normal.
If I were to remove the seams that would actually be a completely normal head.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
I guess this is the reward you get when you make video games where the female characters get put into creepy attempted rape scenarios on a regular basis. I think the count for Beyond was three times? I'm not really following the logic that leads to a national honor for Cage.

Remember kids, receiving undeserved awards is a failure of the game designer.
james.sponge said:
It's called French logic obviously and it involves emotions! Something people not made out of polygons will never understand.
Actually if you 2 were to read the article rather than jumping on the French hate brigade you would see that he was being awarded because he has kept his studio in France. At a time when so many studios abandon their nation for American tax breaks I can see why France considers it commendable for him to stay loyal to his own nation. I know I'd like to see more Australian devs/publishers as well as other nations, kind of sick of having nothing but American games with a few Japanese games to spice the place up. (Yes I know DICE is from Sweeden and other devs are in Canada etc, but the publishers are usually either American or Japanese, which influences the games made).

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Are you kidding me? France's highest honor? Please no, that'd be like Britain giving Patrick Stewart the Victoria Cross. Please someone.tell me that a video game dev isn't seriously getting the French equivalent to the Medal of Honor.
This is a civilian honor version, closer to the Presidential Medal of Freedom. BUT if it isn't, who knows maybe in another 5 years they'll make him a Field Marshal and he'll march france back to its Napoleonic glory days.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I'm sure much of this award has to do with how France-centered Quantic Dream is, though if this was a matter of influence to gaming culture as a whole, my first pick would be something more along the lines of Eric Chahi or Michel Ancel (eh, close enough). If his wiki is correct, Michel Ancel had a similar award given but for arts and literature (*reads* huh, Shigeru Miyamoto too. Neato).

Though I do know that Canada itself has some weird regulations towards Canadian-produced media (since so many of our talent migrates to the USA). We're very fussed in keeping an identity, so a lot of our tv shows and such have to have a certain dose of "Canada-ness" about them. Canadian staff, Canadian content, the works. I'm sure France may have a similar motivation to preserve their culture and to encourage more people to bat for the home team.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
"France has decided to recognize his contribution to culture by awarding him the Legion of Honor" I'm a bit lost here, so what was his "contribution" again? Making games? Because if it's "staying in France" as the news said... that's kinda funny and sad at the same time.

Gary Thompson said:
France must be impressed by how many polygons he has.
More polygons MORE EMOTIONS, EMOTIONSEMOTIONSEMOTIONS!!!