David Cage: The Industry Will Die if it Doesn't Innovate

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
You also used the word "brah", which makes me think that you're nothing more than a pasty suburban kid whose only culture comes from Jersey Shore. Which would explain a lot.
>implying that "brah" isn't the internet mockery of "bro"

"Brah" is originally from Hawaii and was adopted by the internet long ago. Example, the meme "Jeep Brah".

I don't think that New Jersey is even close to Hawaii, if you catch my drift.

SpiderJerusalem said:
Here's a thought: think about what people mean when they say film culture, theater culture, etc. What could that mean? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't mean that there is a magical island where people have these things as a religion.
I've never heard anyone say that. Mainly because of language differences. In my country the closest expressions to those are more related to "cult" (worship) than "culture".

Again, a subculture is not culture.

"aquele todo complexo que inclui o conhecimento, as crenças, a arte, a moral, a lei, os costumes e todos os outros hábitos e aptidões adquiridos pelo homem como membro da sociedade"

Somehow I don't think that gaming (or music) includes the knowledge (example: agriculture) beliefs, art, morals, laws, costumes and skills acquired by mankind as a member of society.

From a Social Studies standpoint, Edward B. Tylor's definition is the most relevant. From an anthropological point of view, it's the identity of the people.

A gamer from Dubai does not have the same culture as a gamer from Norway. Their people don't have the same identity.

SpiderJerusalem said:
Ignorance is never the answer, boyo.
>slang used by Welsh/Irish

So Guido slang automatically proves me wrong, but when you use other slang it's okay?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
That definition sounds a lot like the Wiki. At least the Wiki denounces the definitions used in the fields of science, like the Taylor's definition.

SpiderJerusalem said:
Now, it might be because English isn't your first language, but I'll just point out that agriculture has nothing to do with CULTURE, despite them sharing a word. That's just.. not sure if serious or just stupid.
Wiki: Culture (Latin: cultura, lit. "cultivation")

Cultivation is both related to the growth of plants and breeding of animals. The first civilizations developed knowledge where they based their production, economy, social structure, beliefs and rituals, etc - all based on agriculture.

The more you know...

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
ElPatron said:
Wiki: Culture (Latin: cultura, lit. "cultivation")

Cultivation is both related to the growth of plants and breeding of animals. The first civilizations developed knowledge where they based their production, economy, social structure, beliefs and rituals, etc - all based on agriculture.

The more you know...
Good for you for picking up the FIRST LINE you read on that article, if you had read a bit further (it's recommended) you'd have noticed that after a few centuries the meaning has changed and changed again, not even resembling in it's current form what it used to before.
"HURR DURR I'LL IGNORE ALL YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS AND JUST HAMMER THIS ONE BECAUSE IT QUOTES WIKIPEDIA. HOW DARE YOU QUOTE RELEVANT STUFF?"

SpiderJerusalem said:
I'll just point out that agriculture has nothing to do with CULTURE
wikipedia said:
Culture (Latin: cultura, lit. "cultivation")
Case in point, etiology.

How about you give up trying to create an enemy in me? All you have proven so far is what you'll resort to personal attacks on almost every post and backpedal when you're proven wrong.

Can't you just accept that not being 100% correct is perfectly acceptable? I feel sorry for your teachers in school if you are that pedantic about being correct.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh well, step down off your exulted throne, mighty cage, show me the way. Seriously though, screw you david cage. You basically took the plot of taken and mashed it together with 3 daytime TV drama plots and added minimal interactivity just to have it qualify as a game. I will eat my own crap before I let someone who stuck a 2 minute watch kid do homework thing into a video game tell me what the fuck I should buy.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Most of the people in this topic don't see the forest for the trees. If the gaming industry dies, it's going to be because of unrealistic standards, not how many CoD-lite clones are released.

After all, we live in the age of always-online DRM, on-disc content being chopped out of games and sold piecemeal back to gamers, price gouging and through-the-roof sales expectations...and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. That's why tens of thousands of people are flooding Kickstarter and crowdfunding sites to back projects from lesser-known genres - each year, people are putting less and less faith in major developers. Even CoD saw their sales figures take a hit over the last year.

I give it another two years, tops, before the triple-AAA game industry implodes.