David Cameron calls for all teens to do community service.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
lunncal said:
ToastiestZombie said:
lunncal said:
This is a non-issue. The community service isn't compulsory, he merely wants to make it available for 16 year olds.

Apart from the 1 or 2 other people who mentioned this, did any of you actually read the article?
I did, and Going down a bit, Boris Johnson said that he wants it compulsory not just available. Then it gave a quote from Cameron saying he liked that idea. Although that may have been from Jonhson but the way they wrote it made it seem like it was from Cameron
Hm... you're right. I think that's from Johnson, but they have definitely attempted to make it seem like David Cameron said it. Coming from the Daily Express, this kind of misleading writing is pretty much expected.

Still, there is absolutely no chance of compulsory community service. This isn't a real issue, it's just a sensationalist news-paper stirring up trouble as usual, and it would be better if we didn't react to this crap, because that's exactly what they want us to do (brings them more publicity and website hits).
Yeh I agree, this article was quite misleading. Still, Cameron did make it seem like he was only saying the things we know he said because he wants to punish youths for the riots.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Let's examine this:

"So, we've found that a portion of teenagers have been rioting as well. What should we do about it?"

"We get teenagers to do community service!"

"You mean, when we get around to arresting (HA!) the teens involved, we get them to do community service?"

"No, we simply get ALL 16 year olds to clean up the mess of the riots! We can use it as a right-of-passage bullcrap!"

"Wait, you mean that we should get all 16 year olds, regardless of whether or not they were involved, to take time out of their lives, possibly there own jobs, and perhaps even education to clean up the mess of other random assholes?"

"YUP!"

"..."

Dec 27, 2010
Wow, what a f*cking ignorant proposal. You know, some teenagers actually know the value of hard-work. In fact, a lot of kids who live in more rural areas have probably experienced more manual labour than ever have, posh boy. Jesus, why am I the only person who ever thinks about life outside of cities/ towns.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Personally, I'd be all for some kind of national service to come back, even if its a communal service rather then a military one. I did the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme when I was in school, and part of that was community service, and I think I'm the better for it.

I know some of the Northern European countries still have national service and it seems to work out alright for them.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
OutsiderEX said:
Personally, I am for some form of National Service: Germany and the Scandinavian nations have it and those who don't want to join the Armed Forces can do EMT or Police work.
See the problem there is that the Police forces in the UK don't accept any new recruits because the government cannot afford to pay them, hence out of control riots.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
I merely say LOL to this entire thread and responses. Best laughs I've had all day.

Thanks everyone!

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I'm a teenager in Britain and I didn't even know about the riots until they were halfway over, much less join in.

Thanks for overgeneralising massively, Cameron, you massive cock.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Fuck off Cameron , stop painting everyone with the same brush and maybe if you didn't fail these kids then you wouldn't have a problem on your hands.
Maybe you should stop impoverishing the lower classes so much that the kids never have a change to get a good education. Take the silver spoon out your mouth and get your hands dirty for once Cameron.

I say this and Im not a teenager but someone who lives in a rural area of england and sees the kind of shit you do every day.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
If I was 16 and in Britain and had nothing to do with the first riots, I'd organize a new riot because of this.

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
you know what i dont thnk this is to bad an idea, the cause is retarded and it implys that all teens are guilty for the riots but i feel that now days we in the uk dont really have a goo sence of socity maybe working to help soceity will help us to etter apesiate it (sorry for the terrable spelling im tired and bout to eat my own face due to stress)

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
FFHAuthor said:
I merely say LOL to this entire thread and responses. Best laughs I've had all day.

Thanks everyone!
May I ask why do you LOL?
Because of the pure irony in almost all the posts and by many of the posters who are saying 'It wasn't us it was those bastards who don't care.' linked with 'How dare you want me to help out?!?!' immediately afterwards.

Speaking as someone who had to do mandatory service work in the community during Grade school, High School and Technical School, there is a marked difference in the way people who have done community service both voluntarily and involuntarily, view their community and how they behave in it. I went to tech school, and my program had mandatory community service, you had to work on projects and help out with things from Habitat for Humanity to helping the homeless and participating in food drives, some of those events were open to everyone in the school, I rarely ever saw anyone from outside our program joining in.

But on point...I just think it's ironic that everyone who wants to say 'we're better than the rioters' is flipping out when the Prime Minister gives them the option to prove it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'd be more supportive of it if he tried to encourage them rather then force them. I mean, in a free society, you can't make anyone do anything without some sort of payment they desire. All this is gonna do is force people who had no part in the riot to clean up the mess of the ones that did and that's only gonna piss people off.

I do community service, but that's because I want to, not because I have to.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
FFHAuthor said:
ToastiestZombie said:
FFHAuthor said:

Thanks everyone!
May I ask why do you LOL?
Because of the pure irony in almost all the posts and by many of the posters who are saying 'It wasn't us it was those bastards who don't care.' linked with 'How dare you want me to help out?!?!' immediately afterwards.

Speaking as someone who had to do mandatory service work in the community during Grade school, High School and Technical School, there is a marked difference in the way people who have done community service both voluntarily and involuntarily, view their community and how they behave in it. I went to tech school, and my program had mandatory community service, you had to work on projects and help out with things from Habitat for Humanity to helping the homeless and participating in food drives, some of those events were open to everyone in the school, I rarely ever saw anyone from outside our program joining in.

But on point...I just think it's ironic that everyone who wants to say 'we're better than the rioters' is flipping out when the Prime Minister gives them the option to prove it.
Yes that is right, but the problem is that this might be forced upon all teenagers, whihc means that ones who have to do coursework/homework will have less time to do so. I dont think theyre saying, how dare you want us to help theyre complaining that it is being forced upon them, people who have had nothing to do with the riots.

lorddeox

Feb 19, 2010
It makes perfect sense as we all know that 16 Year old British people are dangerous people. I mean I remember when I was sixteen and I would get up to crazy things like studying for exams and taking responsibility.

What the heck is Cameron thinking??? Those that need the community service are those that don't care about society, not those who actually want to contribute something to society other than hooliganism.