David Finch Signs On For Wonder Woman Monthly Series

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
David Finch Signs On For Wonder Woman Monthly Series

David Finch of The Dark Knight and Forever Evil is expected to lend his pencils to DC's most recognizable female superhero, Wonder Woman.

Of all the changes made to DC Comics during the New 52, perhaps the most comprehensive was Wonder Woman's backstory. Her monthly series by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang reimagined the character's entire mythology, making her Zeus' daughter as Olympian gods struggled for control in a modern world. As Azzarello and Chiang's storyline draws to a close however, the question now is who will step forward to move Diana in yet another new direction. According to Bleeding Cool, the next artist to take up Wonder Woman's pencils will be The Dark Knight's David Finch, and if this sketch is anything to go on, she'll be following a more traditional pre-New 52 art style.

We're still waiting for confirmation from DC on what's planned for Wonder Woman, but it's likely her new portrayal will fall in line with the rest of the New 52. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132466-6-Comics-From-February-You-Need-To-Read>While readers have certainly enjoyed Azzarello and Chiang's run, its tone and storyline were largely independent of events across the broader universe, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125216-Superman-Wonder-Woman-Unites-Action-With-Romance>most noticeably in the Justice League and Superman/Wonder Woman books. A new creative team provides the chance to reconnect Wonder Woman to New 52 canon, although whether that will be as memorable as its first 30 issues remains to be seen.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
So, is this new comic about a stripper with the stage name Wonder Woman? Because that concept art is so hilariously fetishized, over-sexualized and male gaze that it almost made me lose some hope for humanity.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Wow, that a new character for dragon crown? That's some laughably unproportional stats on that woman.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Oh goody, we've got Beefy McSameFace on art duties. I can't wait.

Even if the artist we were getting was going to be decent it'd be a step down from the beautifully stylized stuff we've been getting from Cliff Chiang, but this is just sad.

I also desperately HOPE that this series stays disconnected from the universe at large, that's one of the things that made this title a more solid read, it was never bogged down with other characters randomly dropping in for a needless cameo or with an irritating cross-over where I'd have to buy another character's book to get the second half of the story, another character's book who I hated anyway, otherwise I'd be buying their shitty book already.

Mcoffey said:
I don't think I like it. This is like Rob Liefeld kind of stuff, all tits and ass (Her feet are even obscured). Traditional it may be, but it's the kind of thing I'd hope to see comics move past.

People gave it all kinds of shit (For reasons I still don't understand), but I really liked the new Wonder Woman Costume where they gave her pants and a jacket. It just felt more practical, and less designed to appease the male gaze.
I agree for the most part, however I'd add that if it weren't for the jacket I'd have said that that particular costume design was really amazing and superior in almost every conceivable way, with the jacket I'd take my rating down to "decent". Then again I'm biased when it comes to these things because I've always found it kind of retarded that characters are rolling around wearing thongs (looking at you Nu52 Supergirl).

The sad part about the New 52 Wonder Woman is that we nearly had Wonder Woman in a far superior costume, but it was edited after the fact to REMOVE pants from her costume. It's a real shame that we have to sacrifice decent aesthetic design and greater practicality so that some people can better pleasure themselves into a sock.

Pictures of the Original Design from some of the preview materials that were later altered:

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
"Her monthly series by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang reimagined the character's entire mythology, making her Zeus' daughter as Olympian gods struggled for control in a modern world."

I loath everything about the New 52 Wonder Woman. Her origin changes reek of misogyny, has next to no female allies outside of the damsel of the group, the Amazons are turned into man-hating murderers who condone child slavery in hellish conditions because they can't make their own weapons or armor and an entire issue was made to showcase how the "amazon" way of fighting was insufficient so they had Ares train her. Even with all that, this new Wonder Woman is barely a central character in her own comic. The story focuses so heavily on these new gods that Wonder Woman literally plays the role of "observer" to how events are transpiring.

Also, DC already had a character who was the illegitimate daughter of Zeus. Her name was... Wonder Girl! Wonder Woman's sidekick. Yeah. The most iconic female super hero ever and they give take away her origins in favor of her sidekick's origins.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
FFS, you can see the crease where her leg meets her pelvis. Normally, a costume would cover this crease, but it doesn't here because her costume is an elaborate thong.

And the proportions... gah. All I ever wanted was a superheroine that looked like a girl I might meet in real life.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I honestly don't care anymore about DC's New 52 these days. It's nothing more but a failed experiment kept on life support by an overblown crossover event, the small number of books that are selling, and whatever cash grabs they can get. The only things noteworthy coming from DC Comics is outside the New 52 bubble (Batman '66, Astro City, and Adventures of Superman to name a few). Despite that, I'm worried on whether or not these books will last due to the incompetence of DC's higher ups, the soulless creativity spawned from their editorial staff, or the complete glut of DC books overfilling the shelves. Right now, all I'm waiting for is an end to this mess in one form or another.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't care much for superheroes since I find it to be a horribly overused cliche but that concept art of her just looks dumb.

I do like boobs but in moderation and not everywhere, especially if you want to tell a serious story that lacks an inherent reason for scarcity of clothing on females only.
It seems the superhero comic industry has this weird compulsion of cranking the sexualization up to 11 for most female characters which is a big immersion breaker for me because all I can see is a marketing exec trying to manipulate me with marketing strategies and lumping me into a demographic I wouldn't want to associate with.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Maybe I'm weird but I like it. I'm all in for practicality, however wonder Woman's costume is actually one I've come to respect. Sure it's a glorified 'thong' but I honestly never seen her as a 'sexualized' heroine, lasso and all. I just see her as a badass who I wouldn't want mess with.