David Jaffe F-Bombs the EA Louse

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Jaffe makes a valid argument as creativity cannot come before the entire process constantly or there will be stagnation as everyone vies to get their idea in place. It would ruin God of War, for instance, if "Artist D" wanted to throw in some Egyptian mythical beasts in a level randomly because they were reading up on how cool the Sphinx is. One person on the team may like that idea, but as Jaffe said, if it ruins the flow of the game, then it is only hurting the end product.
Brotherofwill said:
Anyway, it sort of makes sense what he says. EA proclaimed TOR to be their most expensive game and they've been talking an awful lot about their great sound. Sound? Voice over? Who cares. Anyone that's played a bestselling isometric RPG from the 90's knows that voice-overs add close to nothing.
I also remember the "sound" being a bragging point for Medal of Honor, and it does not look like that game turned out so well...

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Anyway, it sort of makes sense what he says. EA proclaimed TOR to be their most expensive game and they've been talking an awful lot about their great sound. Sound? Voice over? Who cares. Anyone that's played a bestselling isometric RPG from the 90's knows that voice-overs add close to nothing.
Actually they added a lot to me. I can't think of Korgan Bloodaxe without his voice over work, nor Minsc and Boo. Nor could I imagine Annah from Planescape Torment without her voice...nor the grand voicework from Vampires the Masquerade that came afterwards.

Voicework was important back then and you can be dead sure that it has gotten moreso important now, a decade later. And it being implemented in an MMO on that kind of scale? When I first heard of it my jaw dropped to the floor and I'm pretty sure most RPG fans felt similarly. Wether or not it can be executed without too much hassle yet needs to be seen, but if I've known anything about Bioware's latest games it's that they have some really amazing ways to compress vast amounts of data. Hence why I completely consider that part of his rant to be 100% grade-A manure written while in the heat of his rage, regardless of the possible validity he might have about EA's management.

It's also funny how many people focus on the Bioware part moreso than the EA's management part. Very indicative of how pointless this whole thing is in the long run I think, wether an artist is genuinely hurting or just being a spoiled brat.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'm going to laugh if this turns out to be some crazy viral marketing stunt.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
cairocat said:
This is Escapist, not CNN. do we really need to censor profanity that isn't even our own?
While I do find it ironic that a website which is lax about profanity on its forums seems to be strict about censoring the content which they themselves post (I still remember the jarring change when they started bleeping MovieBob out of nowhere one week). However, it doesn't really bother me that much. Question is: why does it bother you so much?

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Man Jaffe was so right to criticize this whiner, but then I read the thing about giving GoW a deeper system and now I wish Jaffe had been more ambitious.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
For a guy that spends our game spent money & nights going to the playboy grotto, i have little esteem and consideration of what he is saying...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wait! David Jaffe, one of the biggest fucking pricks in the industry, has inflammatory remarks to make? My word!

I don't really know what Jaffe's problem with this guy is. His blog post wasn't about artistic expression. In fact, that really wasn't a point of his blog post, especially where he writes "So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired."

I fucking hate David Jaffe by the way.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Rants are good mmmk, i mean this guy is probably taking out his ass, in reguards to louse, since why the hell would you as an artist have anything other than third hand or greater hear say about wth is going on elsewhere in the gigantic company he works for. Yea someone at work might say my god i cannot believe bioware gets to spend 100s of millions on voice work for their damn mmo and we get stuck with peanuts for our project. crap like that, or watercoooler talk about how crappy the management is in your little company, which we all do, but we are not sitting in board meetings and etc and privy to what exactly drives the shitting decisions that may come down from the top.

as an artist we complain about everything sales, guys that expect miracles with no time to actually spend on the things, to how crappy our computers are and slow, and why we cannot get the latest version of photoshop on our computers cause they got it over there. and on and on and hell we may take a few shots at the management while we working non stop 8 to 12 hours to get project x y and z done that we are juggling.

Being an graphic artist is a deadline frantic job no matter if it is newspaper, professional ad agency, or game artist, your always on a deadline always have multiple things on your plate and people that want stuff yesterday. but i hardly ever had the time or the energy to dig into the inner workings of management nor would i care to cause i have enough crap to do on my own. as long as they leave me be i am happy to complain about what is directly pissing me off on any given day.

jaffe is exactly right tho you cannot go all artsy and out on a limb as a graphic designer, we may want to do some fancy crap or spend 10 hours working on one piece for something or other or have a vision of what we might like to do but you have a job you have a set style of what needs to be done and you do it, usually as quickly and as accurately as possible. once in a blue moon the head honcho will come out and give you something and say go nuts design something unique, and still if you get too creative your told go back to the drawing board that is too artistic.

if we artists had our way and you let us run wild then nothing would be cohesive nothing would mesh together and half the work would be incomprehensible to anyone that was not sitting with us when we went all art nuts and do wth ever we wanted.

so yea you get a reins and bridle put on you and you are expected to conform to whatever standard of whatever place your working at atm. which means your stuck with whatever style and vision the place has and the equipment and software we got to work with, course that will never stop us from bitching about everything.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Id be more inclined to listen to Jaffe If he hadn't let the people he let do Gow 3 ruin the game compared to 1 and 2.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
He also expressed frustration with the way many people in the industry think that their ideas and opinions are better than those of the people who are actually in charge of a project.
That's the same in any industry...or really anything that involves more than one person. Everyone thinks they can do something better than someone else :p.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
For the record, I don't think "Artistic vision is nice but the bottom line is that the cogs in the machine have to turn" is the moral of this story. Artistic vision is -everything-.... just not the vision of the idiots who weren't paying attention to the -leader's- vision and wanted to subvert it. Right? By turning it into something that's already been done? It's the vision that they weren't paying attention to that made the game such a smash, and the cogs were turning TO that vision. There's also no reason that said vision can't be a summation of its cogs as well (assuming they're not trying to turn the first god of war into street fighter). Just... please don't say things that make people discredit Vision :p it's gonna one hell of a blaaaaaand life once that happens.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
The whole EA Louse thing strikes me as stupid. Somebody who lost their job is insulting their employer. SO? He's not quitting, so clearly the place wasn't shit enough for him to want to leave.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
What an odd little rant completely tangential to what Louse complained about.
I'm beginning to wonder what relation Jaffe may have to this situation.
*wipes off and replaces monocle and rests chin on hand* Quite perplexing...

EDIT: Also, Twisted Metal and God of War, as in the latter day sequels of such? All things considered, I think he might want to downplay his existence.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
*crams another fist full of popcorn into his mouth*

Uh oh, someone forgot to put on David's muzzle again. Either way this is starting to get really good. I wonder how long before one of the accused actually speaks their mind. Let David talk some more, drop enough F-bombs and someone's bound to stick their head out of the bunker to see what's up.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I love how people think Jaffe's character flaws have any fucking thing to do with his talent as a game designer. These people make it oh so obvious how they have no fucking clue how the industry works.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh dear. "It's work"? Really now, David?

Say, were you "working" when you referenced the unannounced Twisted Metal in an interview while completely drunk?

I just can't take this guy seriously, especially when he is the one to tell people they're being unprofessional.