David Jaffe F-Bombs the EA Louse

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
matrix3509 said:
I love how people think Jaffe's character flaws have any fucking thing to do with his talent as a game designer. These people make it oh so obvious how they have no fucking clue how the industry works.
I really don't, but where I work a good boss will recognise when someone junior to them has a good idea. I understand how changing design elements part-way through is a recipe for disaster if you don't have Valve like commitment to quality but surely by God of War 2 or at the very least God of War 3 he should have been paying attention. As is God of War is now known for shallow and uninteresting combat and really is in need of a reboot to stand up next to Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
There seems to be quite a lot of "I am an employee of *insert game developer here* and here's some dirt on *insert project lead here*" blogs lately. I know of one QQing about Icefrog, and there's also a few more I haven't paid much attention to floating around.

[Edit] It appears that Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/14/the-truth-about-rock-paper-shotgun/] has also noticed this trend. Or at least sending up the blog post in question.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
I really think Jaffe misses the point completely. EALouse isn't specifically complaining about his lack of artistic expression. After I read his rant, it sounded to me like he was complaining about the utter lack of management, the incompetence of those in charge.

I know it's pretty easy to hate a boss for the kick of it: without thinking, lots of people would say their boss is an idiot. However, a producer that has been promoted to its current position from customer service, or a producer that isn't anywhere to be found during a production, that's an idiot.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
AC10 said:
Wait! David Jaffe, one of the biggest fucking pricks in the industry, has inflammatory remarks to make? My word!

I don't really know what Jaffe's problem with this guy is. His blog post wasn't about artistic expression. In fact, that really wasn't a point of his blog post, especially where he writes "So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired."

I fucking hate David Jaffe by the way.
Jaffe's problem is essentially this. People who work in the industry ***** about every thing under the moon. David Jaffe's probably been in the gaming industry longer than most of these guys who whine and complain about their games failures and try to pin the blame on anything but themselves. David Jaffe's whole creative team was in danger of being fired back before they created Twisted Metal. I can see why he's mad. If he were to ***** like that back when he was starting up, he'd be fired and never have been allowed to set foot in a gaming studio. Nowadays Free Radical's employees can ***** about the PS3 being to hard to code for a YEAR after Haze's release and no one gets penalized. It's getting to a point where no one in the industry wants yo take accountability for fuck ups. You may not like the guy but due to his experience, he knows what he;s talking about. If he was this much of a prick back in the 90s, he'd be unemployed. He's taking advantage of the fact that these days people are interested in what those in the gaming industry think. And doing so by voicing his opinion.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
mr_rubino said:
What an odd little rant completely tangential to what Louse complained about.
I'm beginning to wonder what relation Jaffe may have to this situation.
*wipes off and replaces monocle and rests chin on hand* Quite perplexing...

EDIT: Also, Twisted Metal and God of War, as in the latter day sequels of such? All things considered, I think he might want to downplay his existence.
You'd have a point is David Jaffe directed ALL of the Twisted Metals and God of Wars. But he didn't. He directed Twisted Metal 1, 2, Black, and the upcoming 2011 release. And the first God Of War was his as well.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Jaffe swearing doesn't seem like news. Him NOT swearing on the other hand now that would be instant news of the week material.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
AC10 said:
Wait! David Jaffe, one of the biggest fucking pricks in the industry, has inflammatory remarks to make? My word!

I don't really know what Jaffe's problem with this guy is. His blog post wasn't about artistic expression. In fact, that really wasn't a point of his blog post, especially where he writes "So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired."

Jaffe's problem is essentially this. People who work in the industry ***** about every thing under the moon. David Jaffe's probably been in the gaming industry longer than most of these guys who whine and complain about their games failures and try to pin the blame on anything but themselves. David Jaffe's whole creative team was in danger of being fired back before they created Twisted Metal. I can see why he's mad. If he were to ***** like that back when he was starting up, he'd be fired and never have been allowed to set foot in a gaming studio. Nowadays Free Radical's employees can ***** about the PS3 being to hard to code for a YEAR after Haze's release and no one gets penalized. It's getting to a point where no one in the industry wants yo take accountability for fuck ups. You may not like the guy but due to his experience, he knows what he;s talking about. If he was this much of a prick back in the 90s, he'd be unemployed. He's taking advantage of the fact that these days people are interested in what those in the gaming industry think. And doing so by voicing his opinion.
My problem with him is he's attacking EA_Louse for saying things he didn't say or even imply and just going off into super rage mode on things unrelated to the content in question. It's illogical and pointless.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
AC10 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
AC10 said:

My problem with him is he's attacking EA_Louse for saying things he didn't say or even imply and just going off into super rage mode on things unrelated to the content in question. It's illogical and pointless.
He's not attacking the EA Louse's direct points, but the fact that the EA Louse thinks that he knows better than experienced developers on how to make a game, and how a lot of non developers are doing this these days. It's the fact that a game artist is getting attention for judging a game without knowing how a game is developed himself. EA Louse is attacking Bioware for allegedly spending 300 million on The Old Republic game. Does EA Louse have any experience have any knowledge in game development? Nope. And the fact that this guy is in the industry, people are going to take his words to heart. That's wahat's making Jaffe mad. That's what Jaffe is attacking him for. There's been a lot of non developers judging games the past few years.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
AC10 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
AC10 said:

He's not attacking the EA Louse's direct points, but the fact that the EA Louse thinks that he knows better than experienced developers on how to make a game, and how a lot of non developers are doing this these days. It's the fact that a game artist is getting attention for judging a game without knowing how a game is developed himself. EA Louse is attacking Bioware for allegedly spending 300 million on The Old Republic game. Does EA Louse have any experience have any knowledge in game development? Nope. And the fact that this guy is in the industry, people are going to take his words to heart. That's wahat's making Jaffe mad. That's what Jaffe is attacking him for. There's been a lot of non developers judging games the past few years.
The thing is, he's criticizing the structure and way everything worked, yes of course. However, he nowhere claims he could do a better job which is what Jaffe seems to have just invented.

I'm a software developer by profession and I've worked at an indie game studio and I know first hand how badly a mismanaged team can collapse upon itself. I was once on a team where we literally re-wrote the entire product in our spare time which would do the job of the original about 12,000 times faster and at 1/50th of the size and management turned it down and said we couldn't use it. Why?

Because we would need to re-write documentation.

Yes that's the reason they gave us. They stopped the product from being better because of something so frivolous. After that the team just stopped caring, we got re-structured and eventually split up into a bunch of different products and then the thing was basically left on life support.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
You have to be a developer to know how it's really like in a team , talking rantly or not , it's still the same idea basically, and David Jaffa is certainly not a developer of any kind.

Ravenschild

Feb 7, 2007
Now that within 9 months of launch TOR is having to condense servers Id be interested in hearing these guys eat some crow,because it does seem the game is failing. Many professional reviews gave it 9/10 etc but look at the player reviews on metacritic. The average is 5.7 out of 10. There are huge issues with several of the plots (the ghostbusters storyline for the sith inquisitor is one of those as is the fact that at least 2 of the space missions dealing with the mandalorian blockade according to the games own timeline take place 5 years before the game)and the lack of decent pvp on planet or space has pretty much alienated several of those who have played. Are these things fixable? Yes. Will EA/Bioware fix them? Probably not since they are too concerned with the added perks they are trying to push. I beta tested the game like many others and felt that planet areas were small (and where you start for some of them they are) and felt that the game lacked races (cyborg as a race...really? If its a race by itself why are they all human?)that were iconic in the star wars universe. Currently I am a paying member and will give it a total of 12 months from launch to see if they can fix it. I do find it ironic however that SWG which was cancelled had to condense servers after 4 years (I believe...it may have been 5) and use free server transfers yer TOR had to in 9 months. This is not a good sign. A simple way to start fixing it would be to use the minigame in space as a simulator and actually open up space combat for pve and pvp. This would provide a delay to fix everything else they need to. If they dont do that then they may need to put their plans in a droid and send it to someone claiming they are their only hope.