Dawn of Justice's Aquaman Revealed

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
The colour, where did it go...? Also, I was hoping for topless, but whatever.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
008Zulu said:
I'd like to see it in actual colour before I say whether or not I like the design.

Either way, I still think the movie will fail.
Depends what you mean by fail.

Will it fail financially, artistically, being to your particular tastes?

Personally I think it will fail on point 3, while being good on point 1 and 2 :\

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Gotta say, I love the look. But then again, I like all the grimdark-looking stuff, so I guess I'm Snyder's target audience here.

I'm looking forward to Momoa's take on Aquaman. He was a big part of why I enjoyed Game of Thrones from the start, and I think he can deliver on the gruff and formidable version of Aquaman they seem to be going for in this movie (quite likely inspired by my favourite iteration of the character, the bearded badass from the JLA/JLU cartoon).

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
bdcjacko said:
Doesn't trident mean 3 points? This movie is going to be a mess.
I think its moot. By comic book standards and mythic fantasy standards a trident is a pitchfork like object that some hero or being that lives in water uses. Its just called a trident because those are associated with the likes of Poseidon and Neptune. Even before this Aquaman has used a "trident" with more than three points.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
KazeAizen said:
bdcjacko said:
I think its moot. By comic book standards and mythic fantasy standards a trident is a pitchfork like object that some hero or being that lives in water uses. Its just called a trident because those are associated with the likes of Poseidon and Neptune. Even before this Aquaman has used a "trident" with more than three points.
I am a nerdy American. it is my god given right...new duty to nit pick.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
bdcjacko said:
KazeAizen said:
bdcjacko said:
I am a nerdy American. it is my god given right...new duty to nit pick.
Lol. Though I do like that we are at this point.
Project Creator: Give him a trident with 5 points!
Consultant: That's technically not a trident sir.
Project Creator: No one cares. He's underwater and has water powers. Its a trident!

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So Jason Momoa is finally returning to Atlantis. Not quite how I wanted to see him back in the Lost City.

I am still not sold on this movie. I am getting the feeling that after Superman failed to be as big a hit as they wanted and as such the subsequent series of intro movies for each of the Justice Leagues main heros got put on the back burner, that this movie is a last chance, throw everything at the screen move and hope that something sticks. If it fails then, well it's one movie (two if you want to include Superman, if it suceeds... well I am guessing that some character intro prequels could follow, on top of the see how much we can milk this before it falls apart. I would quite like to see the TV version of the Flash appear, I am not a tune in every week fan of the show but from what I have seen the show actually seems quite good.

josephf5

Feb 21, 2015
I like the look they went with for Aquaman, but I still don't think he belongs in this movie. They're introducing way too many characters in one movie. I don't think Wonder Woman should even be in this movie.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
CkretAznMan said:
The colour, where did it go...? Also, I was hoping for topless, but whatever.
You will take the silly ab window armor and you will like it! :mad:

I want to see him talk to fish ... and it turns out that victory hinges on that.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
irishda said:
Moreover, when you really get down to it, this isn't too far off from how Momoa looked during his famous performance as Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones.
I mean yeah, the two look incredibly similar, in that both are played by the same person and he's showing off his abs. I mean sure, this one has different tattoos, armor, weapon, hairstyle, and beard, but apart from that it's like a straight rip off.
So he has essentially all of those differences... I fail to see how that is a rip off and not just Jason Momoa looking like himself. Then again I also don't watch Game of Thrones so I could be completely missing something here.
I was being sarcastic. My point was exactly that this only looks like khal drogo because it's Jason momoa with long hair and a beard. It's like saying Turing in The Imitation Game looks like Sherlock Holmes

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
irishda said:
I was being sarcastic. My point was exactly that this only looks like khal drogo because it's Jason momoa with long hair and a beard. It's like saying Turing in The Imitation Game looks like Sherlock Holmes
Ah that's fair enough. You should remember that it's hard to show sarcasm through text though.

Paragon Fury said:
I do have to say; this version of Aquaman doesn't look like he takes anyone's shit.
Ugh I know the new Aquaman does look like the badass we always hoped he could be. It does make me hope that the new DC movies are pure awesome like the Marvel stuff has been. But judging from those handling the task I feel a bit sceptical they can pull it off.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
tzimize said:
Depends what you mean by fail.

Will it fail financially, artistically, being to your particular tastes?

Personally I think it will fail on point 3, while being good on point 1 and 2 :\
Well artistically, Dark & Gritty has been overdone. Perhaps to the point of it no longer being able to be considered as art, if it ever did. Financially; It will have a strong opening weekend, then it will be toppled by some Adam Sandler rehash project.

As for my particular tastes? It may already have failed. I have said on numerous occasions, that the movie is trying to do too much too quickly. Batman and Superman movie I could see, but now Wonder Woman and Aquaman are in it, they are trying to do Avengers without the build up that made Avengers so good in the first place. 2 and a half or even 3 hours won't be enough time. 6 hours for the two movies still won't be enough time. It will look and feel rushed.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
vagabondwillsmile said:
Josh123914 said:
.....So hands up here who doesn't think this movie is gonna be a cluttered mess?

Anyway, great casting for Aquaman. Momoa knows how to act as a formidable force, and I think that's exactly what the character needs.
Yah, I didn't even know aquaman was being added in. Maybe I missed a lot of news on this. I'm sure this has all been planned in advance; but it has the feel of something they are making up as they go along. Surely, that can't be the case.

As for the casting - sure Momoa seems a good fit. No reason for me to think other wise. The tats though. You know the grown ass man that still buys stitched and bejewelled shirts at Buckle with lots of tats, but none of them of any personal significance - they are all just designs and tribal stuff picked out of the badassery cliché book? I'm instantly reminded of that guy. (NOTE: Those of you that have tattoos don't take that as a slight -- well-designed, skillfully-applied ink, esp. when the image is something of personal interest or passion to canvas, is always awesome. I also feel very honored when someone commissions me for a design) The scale theme is cool and all, but what is the rest of that mess?

All those beautiful colorful fish in the ocean - or the cool sleakness of a shark or marlin - or the mirror sheen of so many others, and the disign crew goes with the scheme that's all camoflaged and washed out. Awesome. So exciting.

Like that of a flounder or something. Flounder Man.

He certainly doesn't look kingly, or even the least bit regal. But this is the Zack Snyder aesthetic now; and it's a given. Some people will like it and that's ok. Others won't like it and that's ok too.
I don't think it's fair to criticise his tattoos, because Jason Momoa actually has tattoos like that. He had them in Game of Thrones, Stargate Atlantis too and they are always integrated pretty well into whatever character it is.

And either way, we don't know what mer-people would actually be like. Maybe they'd have tribes.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Regarding the image, Internet comic geek Linkara summed it up best with the following...

hayley566 asked: You might've already been asked this, but did you see the newest Auqaman movie poster? What do you think of it?

Linkara's reply: I wish this movie was in color.
Qriginal link: http://atopfourthwall.tumblr.com/post/111681646278

I know Zack Snyder wants to show off his mad Photoshop skills, but is it too much to ask for character photos that haven't taken a wrong turn into Saving Private Ryan territory. Also, could they not have dyed Jason Momoa's hair blonde? Or is it stipulated in his contract that he must look almost the same in every role he takes?

Game of Thrones

Conan The Barbarian (2011)

Wolves

Costume wise, I don't mind them using the 90s version with some isle of Samoa flair to it. But, it just feeds my nagging doubt that this might turn out to be another joyless ride like Man of Steel was but with every hero channeling Batman like he was the lord and savior.

I want to get behind Batman V. Superman as much as the next DC Comics fan, but each step they take feels like this movie is either going to be cluttered with characters aplenty or its going to be so grim in tone that Linkin Park is going to handle the soundtrack for the movie.

I'm just saying, if I don't see Jason Momoa channel any portion of Aquaman from Batman: The Brave and The Bold animated series, I will be deeply disappointed.

But that's just me.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
endtherapture said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
Josh123914 said:
.....So hands up here who doesn't think this movie is gonna be a cluttered mess?

Anyway, great casting for Aquaman. Momoa knows how to act as a formidable force, and I think that's exactly what the character needs.
Yah, I didn't even know aquaman was being added in. Maybe I missed a lot of news on this. I'm sure this has all been planned in advance; but it has the feel of something they are making up as they go along. Surely, that can't be the case.

As for the casting - sure Momoa seems a good fit. No reason for me to think other wise. The tats though. You know the grown ass man that still buys stitched and bejewelled shirts at Buckle with lots of tats, but none of them of any personal significance - they are all just designs and tribal stuff picked out of the badassery cliché book? I'm instantly reminded of that guy. (NOTE: Those of you that have tattoos don't take that as a slight -- well-designed, skillfully-applied ink, esp. when the image is something of personal interest or passion to canvas, is always awesome. I also feel very honored when someone commissions me for a design) The scale theme is cool and all, but what is the rest of that mess?

All those beautiful colorful fish in the ocean - or the cool sleakness of a shark or marlin - or the mirror sheen of so many others, and the disign crew goes with the scheme that's all camoflaged and washed out. Awesome. So exciting.

Like that of a flounder or something. Flounder Man.

He certainly doesn't look kingly, or even the least bit regal. But this is the Zack Snyder aesthetic now; and it's a given. Some people will like it and that's ok. Others won't like it and that's ok too.
I don't think it's fair to criticise his tattoos, because Jason Momoa actually has tattoos like that. He had them in Game of Thrones, Stargate Atlantis too and they are always integrated pretty well into whatever character it is.

And either way, we don't know what mer-people would actually be like. Maybe they'd have tribes.
I do like the scale ones and the triangle ones (some of which as you mentioned, are actually his own) a lot here. They do look good and are thematically consistant with the ocean/fish scales/etc.. I'd say they are the best part of his design even. - and I probably should have mentioned that in my original post. The others, like accross the chest it just isn't clear what those ones are or what significance they could have thematically (looking closely, they might even be straps accross the chest for the guard on his shoulder; but I can't be sure as it all blends together in that region of the body. And strictly from a design standpoint, I find that to be problematic). And you're correct, they could have tribes or any form of social structure really, and any number of ways to visually represent that structure.

It isn't so much that I'm harping on Momoa's personal tattooing choices. Rather my criticism is directed at the studio's overall design choices - given they can take away or add at will, as they have added here with what I find to be hit and miss results.

I focused on it first impression, simply because of what immediately came to my mind, personally. The design, on the whole comes accross, again - just to me personally, as trying way too hard or looking back in time a little too far aesthetically. Harkening back to my "badass" comment. Forbes calls the design "'Outrageous'" and and Screen Rant states, "Zack Snyder promised the world a 'badass' Aquaman." Which sounds exactly like Zack Snyder. Badass just for badassness' sake. And that's fine. But nothing really stands out to me as being as uniquely "Aquaman King of Atlantis".

Here's a question (not meant as snark in any way - it's genuine curiosity for your opinion: Take away his triden and the title - and all the extra cues outside of the image itself (like the title of the article). You just have the image. Would you be able to determine, by design alone that you were looking at Aquaman?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Josh123914 said:
aquaman...formiddable force.... are you serious?

Nubrain said:
washed out color pallet and busy ascetic aside I still think Momoa can do a decent to good job with this character.

But.....is anyone else bothered that his trident has 5 prongs not 3? it's not a trident it's a pitch fork
i wouldnt be surprised somone conned him into thinking its trident knowing how stupid aquaman is.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've been really pleased with the attempts to make Aquaman a badass. He's been a joke for so very long it'll be nice to see this approach.

I think the casting for this was perfect. I hate to think that this could become my favorite DC franchise despite being made from a hero I've always thought was the lamest in all the land.

Strazdas said:
Josh123914 said:
aquaman...formiddable force.... are you serious?
I think this is trying to change that. If so, it's brilliant. Because there really is something mysterious about the ocean, especially in the Marvel universe. Aquaman COULD be something great. He just hasn't been. Lately the comics have made him a lot better. We'll have to see if this movie cashes in on that fully or if we're just going to get another Green Lantern.

http://www.twoshotstothehead.com/core/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Black-Manta-Aquaman-Badass.png

Aquaman, a hero I've laughed at all my life could suddenly become cool. It would be quite a turnaround but I think they've honestly wasted him all this time when he's had all this potential.

Strazdas said:
Nubrain said:
washed out color pallet and busy ascetic aside I still think Momoa can do a decent to good job with this character.

But.....is anyone else bothered that his trident has 5 prongs not 3? it's not a trident it's a pitch fork
i wouldnt be surprised somone conned him into thinking its trident knowing how stupid aquaman is.
Pitchforks can have three prongs. They're primarily just defined by their curve. This isn't a pitchfork but it also isn't a trident.