Day of the Tentacle Remastered Due Next Year from Double Fine

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Day of the Tentacle Remastered Due Next Year from Double Fine

Another classic LucasArts adventure is getting modernized.

Double Fine Productions has announced that they are developing a remastered edition of Day of the Tentacle, the 1993 adventure game from LucasArts, with an anticipated release early in 2016. The game, currently slated for release on PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PC and Mac, was shown to the public for the first time this past weekend at IndieCade.

Reports from the show indicate that the new edition will feature more than just a graphical overhaul, though screenshots released by Double Fine do show faithfully redrawn characters and environments. The game's interface has been updated from the "verb bar" system in the original to a more contemporary one derived from Broken Age and the recent remaster of Grim Fandango. Players can have the original experience if they like too, or mix and match elements (like playing with the new visuals using the old interface, or old graphics with new interface).

Audio has been polished also, with the team pulling the original tapes of vocal performances out of storage and re-editing them to be enjoyed in their full, uncompressed glory.

[gallery=4928]

It has also been confirmed that the well-known easter egg containing the complete, original Maniac Mansion game to which Day of the Tentacle is a direct sequel, will still be present (though not updated itself).

Maniac Mansion holds a special place in my heart, being the first game I can remember becoming a full-blown obsession in my youth, and its sequel remains among the most clever, funny adventures I've played. When I first heard about the remaster, it didn't seem necessary in the slightest but, I have to admit, they've drawn some pretty pictures here.

Sources: Shacknews [http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/day_of_the_tentacle_remastered_screenshots/]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
More nostalgia banking, eh? Can't say I'm a fan of the "remastered" images. I guess they have to make something to pay for their open-house partiesbills.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
More nostalgia banking, eh? Can't say I'm a fan of the "remastered" images. I guess they have to make something to pay for their open-house partiesbills.
Where there's a market, there's a way.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I have to admit to being more than a little tempted. I'd rather just have the original; I should see if gog has it.

I'm not too keen on giving double fine more money at this point, especially for a 'remastering' of something that was pretty much perfect as it was.

Brad Tritone

Jun 24, 2014
"It has also been confirmed that the well-known easter egg containing the complete, original Maniac Mansion game to which Day of the Tentacle is a direct sequel..."

1. will NOT be included in the remaster?
2. WILL be included in the remaster?
3. is an incomplete sentence?
4. will be available as payable DLC?
5. is an easter egg hidden in the front closet of your parent's house?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Conrad Zimmerman" post="7.884081.22306910 said:
Players can have the original experience if they like too, or mix and match elements (like playing with the new visuals using the old interface, or old graphics with new interface).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Audio has been polished also, with the team pulling the original tapes of vocal performances out of storage and re-editing them to be enjoyed in their full, uncompressed glory.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It has also been confirmed that the well-known easter egg containing the complete, original Maniac Mansion game to which Day of the Tentacle is a direct sequel.

<color=darkred>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAactually dead from joy, thx escapist and double fine

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
I have to admit to being more than a little tempted. I'd rather just have the original; I should see if gog has it.

I'm not too keen on giving double fine more money at this point, especially for a 'remastering' of something that was pretty much perfect as it was.
They don't, sadly.

It's worth it anyways, if you're allowed to swap the visuals and interface back to "classic" like it says you can.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
lacktheknack said:
flying_whimsy said:

They don't, sadly.

It's worth it anyways, if you're allowed to swap the visuals and interface back to "classic" like it says you can.
Not to mention, this is a game that's just as much fun today as when it first came out 22 years ago. Whatever your opinion of Double Fine, it's great to see DotT made available to new audiences!

Besides: If we give them our money now, who knows what wonders they will come up with in the future? Yup, I like Double Fine. They're one of the last truly creative dev companies out there.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Brad Tritone said:
"It has also been confirmed that the well-known easter egg containing the complete, original Maniac Mansion game to which Day of the Tentacle is a direct sequel..."

1. will NOT be included in the remaster?
2. WILL be included in the remaster?
3. is an incomplete sentence?
4. will be available as payable DLC?
5. is an easter egg hidden in the front closet of your parent's house?
2 and 3. Sorry for my edit fail!

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Hmm, I like day of the tentacle, I just don't trust double fine any more and the "remaster" of Grim Fandango was sadly bare bones at best (pun intended) they could have done so much more instead they just made it playable on current gen systems and resolutions, which don't get me wrong was sorely needed, they just didn't really remaster it or make it HD, it was amazing only because the original was amazing.

And at the end of the day, I still have my Lucas Arts Classics copy of Day of the Tentacle/Sam and Max: hit the road and SCUMM to play them on, things I didn't have for Grim Fandango, so pass.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
I like the mix'n'match idea - something that was, in my opinion, missing from the Monkey Island remakes, where I would've liked to mix old gameplay and graphics with new voice acting and soundtrack.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'll wait and see if the remaster is worth the price tag. I love DOTT but I'm still annoyed about Broken Age(Wow, you took a year between halves to bring us.....a bunch of plot holes. Good job). Also, I don't really see any difference between this version and the classic one.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
If I haven't been bothered to find it over the last 22 years, I'm not going to be bothered now.