Day of the Tentacle Special Edition Announced

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Day of the Tentacle Special Edition Announced

Get your suction cups ready: another LucasArts classic is getting the special edition treatment.

Tim Schafer took the stage at the PlayStation Experience keynote and dropped a big announcement: Day of the Tentacle Special Edition is coming to PlayStation 4, Vita, PC, Mac, and Linux.

This is especially significant because Day of the Tentacle, like the entire library of LucasArts point-and-click adventures, became Disney property when shut down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120408-Disney-Acquires-Lucasfilm] the following year, making it seem even more unlikely that any of those old games would ever come out of the Disney vault. The announcement of Grim Fandango Remastered at E3 this year gave me some hope, and rightfully so: Disney is working with Double Fine to bring Day of the Tentacle back to life.

Day of the Tentacle, the sequel to Maniac Mansion, was released for the PC in 1993 and has been difficult to find since then. Just last week, Maniac Mansion creator Ron Gilbert told The Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138757-Maniac-Mansion-Successor-Thimbleweed-Park-Achieved-its-Kickstarter-Goal] "I don't know if it will ever happen" when asked about revisiting Disney-owned properties. Sure, it's not exactly a new Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island, but a special edition of one the most beloved games of all time? I'll take it.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So this is what Double Fine does when they're not delaying games, cutting off their staff, or hosting dev parties: re-releasing older titles for a quick buck? First Grim Fandango, then Brutal Legend, now this.

Let's just hope they don't put it in early access then pull the plug when they've gotten enough money.

emanresu2

Sep 26, 2014
ShakerSilver said:
First Grim Fandango, then Brutal Legend, now this.
Brütal Legend wasn't released on PC, Grim Fandango is hard to find and doesn't run on "modern" PCs, Day of the Tentacle isn't exactly common to find either.
What a terrible thing to do something about that.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As annoyed as I am about Broken Age and it's indeterminate release date, if DF does nothing else other then remaster and re-release Grim Fandango and DotT, they'll have justified their existence.

Too bad it's not before Xmas because that would simplify my shopping immensely. GF and DotT for everyone! Don't have a computer? BUY ONE and play it!

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
It's about flipping time. I've been waiting ages to get some of these old lucasarts games. Now all I need is for gog to put out xwing: alliance and my life will officially be complete.

Too bad Shafer's still connected to this; the guy has been something of a colossal douche bag as of late.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oooh, I'm going to be all over this. I loved Day of the Tentacle and getting those old Point and Click Adventure games to work on current PCs is a nightmare.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
emanresu2 said:
ShakerSilver said:
First Grim Fandango, then Brutal Legend, now this.
Brütal Legend wasn't released on PC
Was there a Brutal Legend before the one with Jack Black? If not I have Brutal Legend in my Steam library so I don't know what your taking about.

OT: Cool hopefully Maniac Mansion can get remastered as well.

emanresu2

Sep 26, 2014
Darks63 said:
Was there a Brutal Legend before the one with Jack Black? If not I have Brutal Legend in my Steam library so I don't know what your taking about.
Emphasis on "was". It wasn't available on PC at that time.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Darks63 said:
I think Full Throttle will see the light of day first...and a good thing too, it is a great game.

I'd like to see them all, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, all of them.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Do you have to have played the original Maniac Mansion to appreciate/understand this? I tried playing the fan remake at one point, but I got stuck. I didn't realize it was one of those games where you can wind up in an unwinnable state and not know it until much later, and by the time I did it was way too late and I didn't feel like starting over.

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Do you have to have played the original Maniac Mansion to appreciate/understand this? I tried playing the fan remake at one point, but I got stuck. I didn't realize it was one of those games where you can wind up in an unwinnable state and not know it until much later, and by the time I did it was way too late and I didn't feel like starting over.
It's, uh... it's not required, but it kinda helps if you're at least aware of the characters from it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
octafish said:
Darks63 said:
I think Full Throttle will see the light of day first...and a good thing too, it is a great game.

I'd like to see them all, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, all of them.
Steve the Pocket said:
To be fair, the original was a lot like that too. You could die, you could screw yourself and not be able to finish and you could cause a nuclear explosion by typing the wrong combo on a keypad(or draining the pool for too long, because the pool was acting as coolant for the nuclear reactor inside the pool).

It's not much like the golden age games and no, you don't need to have played it. Only one playable character from the first game shows up anyway(Bernard). There are a few references to something you could do in the game(but in no way was required and could get you killed).

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Steve the Pocket said:
To be fair, the original was a lot like that too. You could die, you could screw yourself and not be able to finish and you could cause a nuclear explosion by typing the wrong combo on a keypad(or draining the pool for too long, because the pool was acting as coolant for the nuclear reactor inside the pool).
I can't tell if you mean "the original" as in compared to the remake, or compared to the sequel. For the record, I was talking about the remake of Maniac Mansion [http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/401/] (I don't recall Tentacle ever getting one), and I didn't expect they had changed much gameplay-wise.