DayZ Coming to PS4, Ditching Xbox One

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
DayZ Coming to PS4, Ditching Xbox One

The creator of the standalone zombie survival game says that Microsoft has forced his hand.

Dean "Rocket" Hall is working on a standalone version of his popular Arma II mod, DayZ, and has been for... a good while. Despite the likely come to next-gen consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121389-DayZ-Standalone-Release-Slips-Further-Into-2013] after the PC release. After hearing the details of the Xbox One, however, Hall may only be bringing DayZ to the PC and PS4, considering Microsoft's indie-unfriendly policies.

"We're happy to see DayZ on any console," Hall says, "but there is a... I guess one problem. The console needs to not charge for us to do updates and it needs to be indie title friendly." As it stands, the Xbox One is zero for two on those requirements: Microsoft's running strategy restricts indie publishing, and their policy of charging exorbitant fees for post-release patches has proved disruptive for even the most successful indie studios [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118578-Update-Fez-Studio-Rereleases-Save-Corrupting-Patch].

Meanwhile, Sony has been expressing interest in getting DayZ onto the PS4 for months now, and Hall is attracted to their free patching policy - especially given the bug-ridden status of DayZ. "It's gonna take a long time for us to be able to iron this out and we don't wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars - whatever it is - every time we wanna do an update."

Hall did mention that he's not ethically opposed to an Xbox One port in the future, but it won't come without change from Microsoft. In other words... don't hold your breath.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/dayz-set-to-arrive-on-ps4-but-could-skip-xbox-one/]

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Yeah that sounds like a good idea if they are that hostile to indies and updates. Looking forward to trying it on the ps4 though.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Remember when we were playing the "Oh god why won't the bad news stop?!" game with EA and simcity? Looks like Microsoft made the sequel! Sadly it still has DRM...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't think this is going to be a game-changer in the console war, but it's telling to those who are watching such things with attention. Between things like this and XBLA darlings like Jonathon Blow (of Braid) deciding to leave Microsoft's console out of future plans, it may add up.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Huh...maybe this is old news but I didn't know that Sony didn't charge for patches.

I learned something new today!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Atta boy Dean. Keeping away from that restrictive, invasive, nightmarish excuse of a console is best for everybody. Hopefully more people and publishers will get away from the Xbone before it gets released and sinks faster than a Titanic made of lead.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is going to go on and on, we're never gonig to hear the end of this. Mircosoft will change or god help us we'll just loose the will to slag them off for being shit and it'll just be a console without 3rd party indy games or well anyone this is exhausting. Where is nintendo with there next motion honey badger innovation for me to slag off... I miss them being at E3 they're just dumb... Microsoft are just evil(or retarded its hard to tell).

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
And the hits just keep on coming.

How many nails do we need to finally put the Xbox One in the grave? Or are we past nails by now?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
"we don't wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars"

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why would an update cost anything? What's the cost to Microsoft that forces the price so ridiculously high?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Dreadman75 said:
And the hits just keep on coming.

How many nails do we need to finally put the Xbox One in the grave? Or are we past nails by now?
I think we've gone far beyond nails and into "mowing the lawn with a nuclear warhead" territory.

Speaking of indies: the whole reason they came into existence was to get away from over-demanding publishers. Now with Microsoft's XBone (XBox dONE, whatever you wish to call it), it's going to set a huge trend for indie developers to go to systems that don't heavily cater to publisher's every whim.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
MrGalactus said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why would an update cost anything? What's the cost to Microsoft that forces the price so ridiculously high?
Last year Tim Schafer mentioned that it cost them 40k per patch in an interview
http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

So yes - on top of the fact that Microsoft insists all indie devs must use a publisher, you can't really blame them for saying no to that.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
I've been waiting for developers to say their words on the next gen consoles, particularly Gabe Newell's. I guess this is the start. Mojang, Valve, and id are the ones to watch for.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I was kinda wondering what happened to this game. From what I've seen, the game looks fun, if a little rough around the edges.

I'll probably get it for the PS4.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrGalactus said:

"We can do it and get away with it."

And honestly, for most of the last gen that was true. Then Sony got more indie friendly and Nintendo seemed to and Microsoft refused to adapt. They still think they're king of the mountain, even after burying indie games and charging ridiculous fees.

Microsoft tends to do what they think they can get away with. This is a gamble that seems to be losing time and again this time around. However, it's based firmly in the fact that they were getting away with it only a couple years ago.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
Respectfully, (*bleep*) 'em. 360 already got a better Zombie open world game in State of Decay; and Undead Labs has already confirmed that they will be working on an expanded version for Xbox-One given the massive success of the current version on Xbox Arcade.

If "Rocket" honestly thinks taking their game is going to hurt Microsoft, they have a delusionally high opinion of themselves and their Arma Mod Game.

Also, small indie companies not supporting Xbox-One will, really, have very little fiscal/profit impact on the console; it's already been confirmed that nearly every major publisher and developer is supporting the XBone, and given that they stand to gain from Microsoft's DRM (i.e. not losing out to used games sales) that's really a given.

I know people hate the DRM/Check In thing, and that's fine. I've got buddies currently deployed that are, to put it mildly, very, very disappointed. But none of that is going to stop great games from coming out in abundance for XBone. So, well, yeah, there it is.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I do not understand why Microsoft continues to enforce this price on patches for games. It just doesn't make any good business sense when it comes to indie developers. Hell, they even remove or minimize the price for a certain few popular games (minecraft being one of them).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
roguewriter said:
Respectfully, (*bleep*) 'em. 360 already got a better Zombie open world game in State of Decay; and Undead Labs has already confirmed that they will be working on an expanded version for Xbox-One given the massive success of the current version on Xbox Arcade.

If "Rocket" honestly thinks taking their game is going to hurt Microsoft, they have a delusionally high opinion of themselves and their Arma Mod Game.

Also, small indie companies not supporting Xbox-One will, really, have very little fiscal/profit impact on the console; it's already been confirmed that nearly every major publisher and developer is supporting the XBone, and given that they stand to gain from Microsoft's DRM (i.e. not losing out to used games sales) that's really a given.

I know people hate the DRM/Check In thing, and that's fine. I've got buddies currently deployed that are, to put it mildly, very, very disappointed. But none of that is going to stop great games from coming out in abundance for XBone. So, well, yeah, there it is.
I don't believe he ever claimed that he would "hurt" Microsoft. Try not to read stuff into quotes that isn't there.

What he said was "I won't port to Xbox One because I cannot afford it", which causes EVEN MORE bad will towards Microsoft, but whatever. He's just explaining why DayZ won't be there.

Don't jump to defend every perceived slight against Xbox One, you'll go insane.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Kiya said:
MrGalactus said:

Last year Tim Schafer mentioned that it cost them 40k per patch in an interview
http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

So yes - on top of the fact that Microsoft insists all indie devs must use a publisher, you can't really blame them for saying no to that.
Holy absolute SHIT that's a lot of demands. What do they want from them? Surely that'll force every indie dev to never use that system again?

Zachary Amaranth said:
MrGalactus said:

"We can do it and get away with it."

And honestly, for most of the last gen that was true. Then Sony got more indie friendly and Nintendo seemed to and Microsoft refused to adapt. They still think they're king of the mountain, even after burying indie games and charging ridiculous fees.

Microsoft tends to do what they think they can get away with. This is a gamble that seems to be losing time and again this time around. However, it's based firmly in the fact that they were getting away with it only a couple years ago.
There's no way you can ask an indie dev to give up such a massive chunk of their money they could be using for development, and respond with "because we can" when they ask why. They must've given a reason, even a bullshit one.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
roguewriter said:

You show those poor indies! Let us go and kick the homeless, stop at orphanages with puppies, then drive away laughing!

They just said they won't put their game on the console due to the high price of support, and wanting to support their game, and you jump all over them. It's sad.