DayZ Could Break Free From ArmA II

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
DayZ Could Break Free From ArmA II

The quintessential zombie survival mod may well have outgrown its host.

DayZ, the hugely successful open-world mod for ArmA II which has taken the survival horror genre by storm, has amassed more than 440,000 players in a mere three months since its release. Now, it could be about to find new life as a standalone game.

Dean Hall, the mod's creator and a multiplayer designer for ArmA developer Bohemia Interactive, mentioned during his developer session at Rezzed in Brighton that DayZ's success has surpassed his expectations. Originally designed as a tech demo for a hundred simultaneous players, the game started out running on just two servers. This has proven to be an immense underestimate of the mod's success, though, with what's now a user base over 400,000 members strong and as many as 22,000 concurrent players at peak times. All that traffic means that the DayZ system requires a bank of a thousand servers. It's not just survivors who have been getting picked off, either, as Hall revealed that five servers have fallen to overheating. In fact, the sheer number of connections mean that the team has trouble telling between denial of service attacks and traffic directed from YouTube videos.

Hall cites the growth of the game as one of the biggest challenges currently facing the team - the mod is available for free, so there isn't currently any profit to be made, making server upkeep a struggle. That said, since the mod was released, sales of ArmA II have skyrocketed, which Hall says "sends a really clear message, not just to Bohemia, but also the industry itself." He stated that this spike in sales is the greatest support the mod has had so far, going so far as to say that DayZ could end up outselling ArmA II if it became a standalone game. Having said this, he alluded to the transition from mod to full game, citing a possible Minecraft-style development and pricing structure for the project.

During the Q&A session in the latter half of his talk, Hall also announced the introduction of dogs to DayZ. There have apparently been teething problems with implementation as the game sits at the very limit of what the ArmA II engine can handle, but players will soon have the four-legged critters to contend with for resources on top of the other survivors and the hordes of AI-controlled zombies.

The mod, still in its alpha phase, is available over at the official DayZ site [http://www.dayzmod.com] - but until it gets a standalone release, you'll still need to own ArmA II: Combined Operations to run it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-09-watch-dean-rocket-halls-huge-rezzed-q-and-a-for-dayz]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I would play this game, if my craptop could actually run ARMA2 as something other than a powerpoint presentation.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Wasn't there a story weeks ago about how the ARMA devs/publishers gave this guy a team? Did that fall through? Why are we back to 'could?'

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Eh. I'd be on the fence honestly. Arma 2 is probably the most poorly optimized piece of crap on the market today (of games that people actually buy). My rig can run basically anythin on maxed out settins with a full 60 fps and no framerate drops and yet I loaded up the demo and it still chugged at points when it wasn't even all that busy. I can't imagine what it'd be like with DayZ since it still uses the same code just with the number of players jacked up.

If they actually launched as a standalone game and fixed up ArmA's fucked code though? All my moneys would belong to them.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im interested, but ArmA 2 is just too much for my laptop to handle. Maybe when I get the time and money to invest in a desktop PC. maybe by then DayZ will be its own game...

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
The discussion really does not come as a surprise, monetization of Day Z has been a pretty central item on the table for a hot minute. On the one hand "Great!", on the other hand... what does this mean for Day Z being ported over to the Arma III engine?

Who knows... So many of the issues with Day Z come from the fact it is riding on a game engine that really didn't have this much ambition in it's design from the get go.

Anywho, always glad to see the "old school" sensibilities come back from the past and sell some units. One small step... back into the right direction.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I would by this so damn fast.

I quit for the time being because the game's alpha just feels odd.

Get me a better inventory system/better zombies/better interplayer communication and I'd pay 60$ for this.

(Also make it more accessible computer wise, I have some friends I know would love it, but their computers kinda suck.)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Rainboq said:
I would play this game, if my craptop could actually run ARMA2 as something other than a powerpoint presentation.
Me too. Here's hoping if it becomes a stand alone game that a console release could be on the cards.

Oh god, do you hear that rumbling? The elitists! They come for me!

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Doclector said:
Rainboq said:
Me too. Here's hoping if it becomes a stand alone game that a console release could be on the cards.

Quick! Go splurg on some Steam indy games! That should keep them at bay!

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Best "game" of the year so far. Absolutelly loving it, even though it's asolutelly littered with problems. Incredible stuff, and I cannot, CANNOT, wait to see what they do with the mod-game-thingie.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF they made this same game, but used a different source/base code, I'd be in.

As it stands...
Well, there's a REASON why ArmA II didn't do too well until DayZ hit.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
If they manage to do this right (basically abandon anything that has to do with ArmA), I'll be buying this the very first day it gets released. Until that time, I will by readying my body.

MadBlueWinnie

Dec 5, 2009
Win-win situation in my opinion. Many thousands more including myself would buy the game due to the fact they don't want ArmA2, and the devs get some money to upkeep servers, and for creating such a unique game.

Would Bohemia receive a cut of the sales, due to the engine or the fact it is a mod?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Rainboq said:
Doclector said:
Rainboq said:

I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONES I CAN RUN!

Please tell me carl is safe in the house!

DAMMIT CARL!

Mar 20, 2010
Called it.

Anyway.

Tried everything to run it on my computer. Run it eventually. Played it for half an hour. Got extremely frustrated. Deleted everything.

It actually is a great, GREAT concept. A First/Third person shooter sandbox online zombie game with survival elements. Whatever more can you want? Well i want it to work without making me feel like an octopus. Arma 2 is not my kind of game. I can see people liking it, maybe. But I feel like uber polished games spoiled me for games like Arma 2. It's hard to control, it's very buggy and has a very frustrating inventory management system.

I would so play this game to death if it was little bit more polished.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Doclector said:
Rainboq said:
Doclector said:
Rainboq said:

I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONES I CAN RUN!

Please tell me carl is safe in the house!

DAMMIT CARL!
Crap, crap, crap... Okay, don't panic...
Try some nineties games, say you're going on a retro kick...