DayZ Standalone Awakens in Steam Database

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
DayZ Standalone Awakens in Steam Database

DayZ's standalone update has kept us waiting for a long time, but it may be shambling onto Steam sooner than expected.

Oh, Steam Database. You make this almost too easy. The developers of the runaway Arma II zombie mod DayZ have been quietly working on a standalone version of the game, and although they've been maintaining radio silence for a while, some changes to the Steam Database may have tipped their hand. A new package titled DayZ Early Access [http://steamdb.info/sub/17511/#section_info] popped up today, with a handful of updates in recent hours. It's far from an official confirmation, but the timing would be perfect for an Early Access launch this Halloween.

There's a few crumbs of information to gain in the database registry. The DayZ Early Access package includes an app called DayZ Server [http://steamdb.info/app/221100/#section_info] app, so expect to be able to host private servers in the standalone game. It's also worth noting that DayZ Early Access is listed for the USA territory - not necessarily an indication that it won't be available in other regions, but just something to take note of.

The development team has been silent on the topic of release dates, but this certainly looks like they're getting ready to pull back a curtain in the near future. DayZ creator Dean "Rocket" Hall has said that the standalone game will be available on the PlayStation 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125057-DayZ-Coming-to-PS4-Ditching-Xbox-One], so maybe the team is shooting for the console launch window. Either way, I think this is more likely to be a treat than a trick.

Source: Steam DB [http://steamdb.info/sub/17511/#section_info]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
The ability to host your own server is what catches my attention, allows my mates and I to play survival horror without some jerk coming in with a hack or devolving the game into a death match game.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
One hopes that the whole WarZ debacle hasn't done them an excessive amount of harm, either through confusion or through people just feeling that the whole genre has become more trouble than it's worth.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
RicoADF said:
The ability to host your own server is what catches my attention, allows my mates and I to play survival horror without some jerk coming in with a hack or devolving the game into a death match game.
I agree. This is the biggest draw for me. However, I am primarily a 360 gamer so the lack of confirmation on the 360 or even the *sneer* xboner is very saddening. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sarge034 said:
I agree. This is the biggest draw for me. However, I am primarily a 360 gamer so the lack of confirmation on the 360 or even the *sneer* xboner is very saddening. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Your going to have to thank Microsoft for that, BIS supports their games a lot post launch so with Microsofts view of charging per patch makes them the wrong platform, especially for DayZ.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
RicoADF said:
Sarge034 said:
Your going to have to thank Microsoft for that, BIS supports their games a lot post launch so with Microsofts view of charging per patch makes them the wrong platform, especially for DayZ.
I thought they had stopped charging for updates now, or did I imagine that :s

OT: The videos of DayZ were pretty interesting so I'll look forward to see what changes the stand alone version has.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I just hope that the servers in the standalone version aren't a disgusting mess like in the mod. That could make or break the game.

I'm also hoping that zombie A.I. isn't uber bad either.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
ITS HERE, ITS HERE.
MY WIN.
ARIN WINS.
SONIC WINS.
SILVER WINS.
OT: I might be right with my October predictions that no one listens to.
The early access better be available in New Zealand, cause that'll be kinda sad....
Probably gonna get my own server and restart the only DayZ server where admins actually do shit.
Lets see what comes of it. Halloween fingers crossed.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
RicoADF said:
But MS stopped charging for patches on the 360 (no info on xbone yet), unless multiple patches are submitted in a short time. I think they said something like two or three a month, but I could be mistaken about that part.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sarge034 said:
RicoADF said:
But MS stopped charging for patches on the 360 (no info on xbone yet), unless multiple patches are submitted in a short time. I think they said something like two or three a month, but I could be mistaken about that part.
I believe thats a relativly recent change, so BIS would have chosen PC/PS4 when they started before the change. Also if your correct about only 2 or 3 a month that would still be useless to them as they do patch their games alot when they first come out, and DayZ esp has been under alot of rebalancing, new features etc.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
RicoADF said:
I believe thats a relativly recent change, so BIS would have chosen PC/PS4 when they started before the change. Also if your correct about only 2 or 3 a month that would still be useless to them as they do patch their games alot when they first come out, and DayZ esp has been under alot of rebalancing, new features etc.
The story hit the web June 17-28, but reports indicate the fee was dropped sometime April 2013.

Ironically enough...

"Until now the company has taken a fair bit of flack from the likes of Fez developer Phil Fish and the creators of Oddworld and DayZ, who have all said that the prohibitive costs associated with patching games is one of the reasons they're keen to work with Sony on the PlayStation 4, but not Microsoft."
http://www.oxm.co.uk/57153/microsoft-stops-charging-developers-to-update-xbox-360-games/

Also...

"Eurogamer's contacts note that there are still a few caveats - there may be a charge for "excessive" resubmissions due to an update failing certification, for instance. We've reached out to our own contacts, and they've corroborated the report.

Update:Furthermore, we understand it is now the case that XBLA games are no longer charged for resubmission if they fail certification - there is a single charge for the first submission, but if it fails then the developer is not charged for resubmitting it.

[...]

We spoke briefly to State of Decay developer Undead Labs about title update fees earlier in the week "That's a contractual detail we can't discuss," the developer commented, as part of a wide-ranging interview on the game's prospects. "Suffice it to say that there is nothing preventing us from releasing as many Title Updates as needed to ensure the game is stable and awesome."
http://www.oxm.co.uk/57153/microsoft-stops-charging-developers-to-update-xbox-360-games/

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Back a few months ago, I was really pumped about the DayZ Standalone, constantly checking up on it's blog for new info on when it may be released. But since then, with all the time that's passed, and with me falling completely in love with State of Decay (A far superior zombie survival game to DayZ), I've just lost interest in DayZ.