DC Cancels Lobo, Justice League: United, and Gotham by Midnight - Update

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
DC Cancels Lobo, Justice League: United, and Gotham by Midnight - Update

DC Comics is cancelling five of its core universe books, including Lobo, The Omega Men, and Doomed.

Update: Another three DC books will be getting their final issues this year: Batman '66, Green Lantern: The Lost Army, and Sensational Comics Featuring Wonder Woman. According to Cullen Bunn, who writes The Lost Army, more story content was planned.

"Issue 6 will be the last issue of the series," Bunn told Newsarama. "There's more to the story of these lost Lanterns, and their story will be resolved in another limited series or in the pages of another Lantern book. I developed a plan for them, and I hope to be part of how it plays out."

Source: <a href=http://www.newsarama.com/25888-batman-66-and-sensation-comics-ending-green-lantern-lost-army-missing-from-december-solicits.html>Newsarama

Original Story: The New 52 might be an interesting experiment at best, but that doesn't mean everything can stick around. DC Comics is cancelling five books from its core universe line-up by December, including <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comicsandcosplayreviews/12365-Review-Lobo-1-has-good-moments-but-misses-the-fun-of-the-origina>Lobo, Doomed, The Omega Men, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11807-Comics-and-Cosplay-Comics-Collection-for-May-June-2014.8>Justice League: United, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12679-Comics-Collection-Recommendations-for-Nov-27.5>Gotham by Midnight. On top of that, Catwoman will soon have a new creative team, while hints and rumors about of new changes to the superhero universe.

Some of these changes won't be surprising to long-time readers. I've personally never understood the appeal <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135990-New-52s-Lobo-Gets-Ongoing-Series-Tragic-Backstory>of the re-rebooted New 52 Lobo, for example. But there are still going to be disappointed fans out there - The Omega Men in particular was getting impressive critical acclaim, but will wrap with issue #7. I've also really enjoyed Gotham by Midnight's horror-themed takes on Batman and the Specter, which ends after a full year of storylines. And Justice League: United ending is a blow <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127124-Justice-League-of-America-Moving-to-Canada>to my patriotic Canadian heart.

The good news is many of these creators are working on other books for DC. The Omega Men's Tom King is still working on DC's Grayson and Sheriff of Babylon, while Justice League: United writer Jeff Parker has Batman '66 Meets The Man From U.N.C.L.E. mini-series. Even Lobo's Cullen Bunn has three DC books underway, while Doomed's Scott Lobdell will continue with Red Hood/Arsenal. And while it's not being cancelled, Catwoman will have the new creative team of Frank Tieri and Inaki Miranda starting issue #47 this December.

But what's really worth considering is the direction of DC stories overall. The Omega Men and Doomed are both "DC You" titles - comics which emphasized diversity in both characters and creators. The line was partially a response to books like Ms. Marvel, which saw enormous success and critical acclaim that DC never reached in its own attempts. Last month, anonymous sources within DC have suggested the company would return to a "meat and potatoes" approach where creators "stop Batgirling" and refocus on core superheroes. Which is strange if true, considering books like Batgirl and Harley Quinn aren't expected to go anywhere.

So what will the future hold for DC? Outside of Superman getting his cape back, and Bruce Wayne returning again, only time will tell. DC's December solicitations should hold some clues, as will any new series announced in the coming weeks.

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/five-dc-titles-to-end-in-december-including-justice-league-united-and-lobo>CBR, via <a href=http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/13/dc-comics-cancels-doomed-gotham-by-midnight-omega-men-lobo-and-justice-league-united/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook>Bleeding Cool

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Here's hoping we never ever have to see The New 52 Lobo ever again.

Now IF only DC would bring back The 1990s Retcon Lobo.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Thank god Catwoman's getting a new creative team.

Hey that could be the chorus to the theme song for the New 52's Catwoman.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RatGouf said:
Final issue, Lobo comes out of nowhere, bites 52-Bo's head off and headbutts it into the nearest star.

I'm BAAAAAAACCCCCKK.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
The idea of them wanting to "stop Batgirling" is the most annoying way to phrase that. Batgirl was one of the most interesting line of books they had.and the way they talk about it with such disdain bothers the hell out of me.

On the plus side, maybe Catwoman will get better with a new team?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
fix-the-spade said:
RatGouf said:
Final issue, Lobo comes out of nowhere, bites 52-Bo's head off and headbutts it into the nearest star.

I'm BAAAAAAACCCCCKK.
That would sell so many issues

seriously.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
RatGouf said:

I'm BAAAAAAACCCCCKK.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I am behind on so many comic books (Since so many are published in any given week), so when did Justice League of Canada change its name to Justice League: United? And whatever happened to Simon Baz, the Arab-American Green Lantern?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm pretty sure this counts as an "and nothing of value was lost" moment.

So what is "Batgirling" in this sense? Because she's one of the New 52 characters I gave a damn about.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've always thought that he comic book market was too saturated with meaningless story-lines and characters. It's good to see them paring it down. Leave more money for the good and most popular works while encouraging others to produce better and more meaningful works.

Surely 52-bo has a different nickname. What about emo-bo?

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Spot1990 said:
Please cancel Constantine and send it back to Vertigo next!
Yes please.

There was a quote, that at the moment escapes me, which summed it up well.

It was by one of the acclaimed writers of the series, stating that Constantine just could not exist in a world where on a flight to new york he could look out of the window and see superman flying by.
I wish I could remember who said it.

Anyway, the content of the above quote that I can't remember covered it.

He is ill fitted to a world of super powers, new gods, super science and bat themed vigilante loss management exercises.
John Constantine lives in a world of quiet magic lurking in the shadows of the mundane.
Not the kind that only works if you sdrawkcab ti lleps, wears a big golden helmet or electrocutes adolescents.

That isn't to say those examples aren't fun, but Constantine really doesn't fit well with them at all.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mikeybb said:
Spot1990 said:
Yes please.

It was by one of the acclaimed writers of the series, stating that Constantine just could not exist in a world where on a flight to new york he could look out of the window and see superman flying by.

He is ill fitted to a world of super powers, new gods, super science and bat themed vigilante loss management exercises.
John Constantine lives in a world of quiet magic lurking in the shadows of the mundane.
Not the kind that only works if you sdrawkcab ti lleps, wears a big golden helmet or electrocutes adolescents.

That isn't to say those examples aren't fun, but Constantine really doesn't fit well with them at all.
I get why people argue that, but I can't say I agree. One of my favorite versions of Constantine came from Neil Gaiman's "The Books of Magic", which featured the entire magical superhero community, looked at his relationship with Zatana and Madame Xanadu, and even referenced Superman at one point.

That being said, I don't think the "Constantine is a powerful magic badass" works either. He's just smart and capable enough to scrape past danger by a thread, but flawed enough to hurt or drive away his closest friends. It's hard to pull off and stay compelling, especially in a superhero unierse.

But hey, not everybody is Neil Gaiman.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Mikeybb said:
Spot1990 said:
Yes please.

You should read year 3 of Injustice if you don't think Constantine fits into the DC universe well. The entire arc revolves around Constantine and the magic users vs Superman and his group.

It works really really well.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Considering I've heard absolutely nothing about any of these and the look of "New 52 Lobo" is making me scratch my head, I'm going to guess nothing of value was lost here

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I remember when they cancelled Green Lantern Mosaic, and in the last issue the writers basically went "and here's all the secrets we had planned!"

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
My pet theory is that they are making books for an audience that won't buy them....either because comics still haven't saturated to a point where it's cool for everyone to read them (despite the movies) or because books like Doomed, Lobo, and so forth still require a entry point for familiarity, and people who aren't familiar with DC stuff aren't going to take a plunge without a lot of hype (such as Batgirl is getting).

A more cynical side of me says its the old dudes buying books, and the young ones pirating PDFs.

On the Batgirling deal, it's turned in to a term really quickly for trying to emulate the hip, comical, "contemporary" cartoon style and plots of Batgirl without actually understanding why its working in the Batgirl book. I'm not sure the actual current authors of Batgirl even know why its working, to be honest....but it (and Harley Quinn) are kick ass titles anyway.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Here are some stats about Lobo sales:

Issue #1 sold 39,047 copies and reached a position of #66 on the best-seller list.
Issue #2 sold 25,881 copies and reached a position of #93.
Issue #3 sold 20,208 copies and reached a position of #129.
Issue #4 sold 16,889 copies and reached a position of #126.
Issue #5 sold 14,770 copies and reached a position of #146.
Issue #6 sold 13,715 copies and reached a position of #157.
Issue #7 sold 19,281 copies and reached a position of #126.
Issue #8 sold 12,459 copies and reached a position of #75.
Issue #9 sold 11,568 copies and reached a position of #167.
Finally, Lobo Annual sold 10,899 copies and reached a position of #167.

So yeah, apart from the spike that hit issue #7 (which probably was caused by the three-month wait between issues #6 and #7), every single issue has New Lobo hemorrhaging readers. Successful comic books find a stable amount of readers after a while, but this one didn?t. Comics fans voted with their wallets, and the vote was a clear ?no.?

You did good, comics fans. You did good.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
About the only piece of news here that I care about at all is the loss of Batman '66. I'm going to miss that fun little throwback title.