DC Comics Infinite Crisis MOBA Shutting Down In August

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
DC Comics Infinite Crisis MOBA Shutting Down In August

Crisis found to be finite after all.

The multiplayer online battle arena game based on DC Comics characters, Infinite Crisis, has already run its course. Development on the game was halted today, according to a new post on the game's Steam community blog, and will be shutting down its servers permanently on August 14. The announcement comes a scant two months following the title's official launch in late March.

Fans will still be able to cram in as much time as they want for free in the next ten weeks before the game is banished to the Phantom Zone forever. All paid content has been removed from the Steam store and a notice has been posted that Steam will provide refunds to players who purchased either the Starter Pack or Elite Pack collections of playable characters upon request.

Developed by Turbine as their first title after being acquired by Warner Bros. in 2010, Infinite Crisis had a tremendous amount of build-up for its depressingly short final release. The game was first known to be in closed testing as far back as May 2013, with an open beta running ten months before launching in full.

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/345520/announcements/detail/160222011449917610]

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Sad, I actually enjoyed the game. im not a big MOBA player (which im told is WHY I liked it) but was a fun game none the less.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
That sucks, it wasn't anything special and didn't really add anything new to the moba genre but it was still quite fun

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So releasing a title in an already crowded field full of established heavy hitters (LOL Dota 2) without anything to set you apart from the pack was a bad idea then?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
This has to be a record of fastest time from launch to shutdown of an online game servers.
APB lasted just over a month (I think it was five weeks).

Ultimately it was bought out an re-released a year later, but I think that'll stand as the fastest release-close in online gaming for a long time.

MOBAs are the new MMO for publishers, they look at LoL and DotA, see massive dollars signs and then panic when those dollar signs crush them and their budget to death post launch. It's become funny to me nowadays.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
This has to be a record of fastest time from launch to shutdown of an online game servers.
I would be interested to hear if anything beat it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardcore fans of the game found a way to play it together irregardless.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Eric the Orange said:
APB lasted just over a month (I think it was five weeks).

Ultimately it was bought out an re-released a year later, but I think that'll stand as the fastest release-close in online gaming for a long time.

MOBAs are the new MMO for publishers, they look at LoL and DotA, see massive dollars signs and then panic when those dollar signs crush them and their budget to death post launch. It's become funny to me nowadays.
well after doing some googling APB lasted two and a half months. But that is still less than the5 months this game has.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
it amazes me that the beta ran longer.

And while I don't play mobas, even I can recognize that the field is a little too crowded for something like infinite crisis to survive.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wow! That was fast. Seems the game just fully released yesterday and it's already getting shut down. I guess when your going up against big names like League, Heroes, Smite, and DotA it must be hard to survive.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Well I can say I am not that surprised seeing the amount of MOBA glut in the gaming community, they are the MMORPGs of the 2010s. IF you saturate it too much, it will confuse consumers.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
kajinking said:
So releasing a title in an already crowded field full of established heavy hitters (LOL Dota 2) without anything to set you apart from the pack was a bad idea then?
Nah that couldn't possibly be it.
They are just rebooting it as a Wow killer MMO in December, get your pre-orders in now!

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
Micah Weil said:
...does this count as vaporware?
No.

...Apart from refusing to affiliate myself with them, they /did/ deliver on product. Contending for the record for shortest lived online game doesn't rescind that, it just means the product bombed for whatever reason. Even Duke Nukem Forever stopped being vaporware once it actually made product.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Elfgore said:
Wow! That was fast. Seems the game just fully released yesterday and it's already getting shut down. I guess when your going up against big names like League, Heroes, Smite, and DotA it must be hard to survive.
Yeah, you definitely need something different in the MOBA market right now. LoL was the first so it has staying power. DotA 2 has the name recognition and the Steam platform to sell itself. Smite has that every hero ever pack which makes it easy to get into. Heroes is hugely accessible for people who haven't played MOBAs before, plus name recognition with the Blizzard brand.

Yeah Infinite Crisis had name recognition in being a DC product, but that's literally it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Wait, DC had a MOBA? Huh, thought I would've heard of it. An ad somewhere at least.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Smooth Operator said:
kajinking said:
Nah that couldn't possibly be it.
They are just rebooting it as a Wow killer MMO in December, get your pre-orders in now!
I was actually going to mention something along those lines since MMO's were the pointless crap to push out a while back (and still are a little I suppose) but didn't want to bring it up.

There seems to be a pattern of releasing the genre of the week in the hopes of a quick cash grab.

I'm honestly not surprised DC isn't putting out a Five Nights At Freddy's jump scare game themed after the joker or something.