DC Comics Rebooting Entire Universe Back to #1

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DC Comics Rebooting Entire Universe Back to #1

"We really want to inject new life in our characters and line," DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio told USA Today. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Justice League #1 will also mark the further entry of comic books into the digital age. Though digital comic books are becoming more common, neither DC nor Marvel have begun to release digital versions of all their books alongside the print versions day-and-date. Starting with Justice League #1, all 52 titles featured in the reboot will be released both digitally and physically on the same day.

It's a bold move that risks alienating hardcore fans, but then, doesn't everything? Discovering how DC will reboot big stars like Batman and Superman, in addition to the rest of its roster, should make the coming weeks very interesting.

Source: USA Today [http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-announces-historic-renumbering-of-all-superhero-titles-and-landmark-day-and-date-digital-distribution/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, this is going to be a landmark on the Retcon [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retcon] page...

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
So... is this going to be a *real* reboot, or can we expect Earth-1 Earth-2 type nonsense in 5 years?

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm uh... you know, I don't really care about DC comics that much, to be honest, so I can't really comment on the move. But that minigun is growing from Green Lantern's crotch. Very clearly, that is a penisgun.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I could see this going very badly with the comic community,

However I'm more than a little curious to see all the redesigns and the reaction to the 'reboot'

I do however think the digital download and print versions coming out at the same time is a good move by DC. Giving people without a comic store 9or the socially inept) a chance to read all the latest stories.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
To be honest I think this will be pretty cool, although I don't really follow continuity much since you can work up what's happening in the first couple of panels. Most comics start with "I am ______ and ______ has been ______ recently all up in Metropolis/Gotham/Coast City/The sea"

They just seemed to have made them all look a bit younger and the Green lantern more angular. Also its Geoff Johns behind it, he made Blackest Night pretty kick ass so I have faith.

All will be well.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Soooo..... this....

In all honesty, best thing for them. The ultimate series was the best idea Marvel have had in the last decade. Start it all from scratch get new people interesting in comics, so they don't have to go through all the bullshit continuity.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
That might even work out for them. I actually think that picture doesn't look too bad. But then, I'll be happy as long as Batman doesn't change too drastically.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Wow, maybe i'll actually start reading them, without having to worry about 1000 years worth of continuity

also for some reason this page took like 7-8 minutes to load o,o

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Fangface74 said:
MovieBob shit-storm anyone?
Doubt it, He himself has said on several occasions comics should be more accessible so that kids can actually read them. So yeah... I reckon he may actually get behind this... but don't hold me to it.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I was going to ***** about how this whole reboot and younger cast thing didn't work that well with Marvel's Ultimates line, but you know what? Fuck it. It's not like they're getting rid of anything good. The big two haven't put out a decent storyline since Secret Wars, and there's no reason this will be any worse than the current offerings. If it works out alright maybe I'll buy DC comics some more.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I never got into comics because, well, fuck reading 60 years worth of comics for hundreds of heros just to get caught up.
I am actually really interested in this, and if I can pay online and have a comic delivered to my inbox every month (Week? month?) then that greatly increases the odds of buying.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Hahaha, what? The Crisis-storylines were not enough?
God, they going to reboot Batman, eh? FUCK THAT.

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
At last, it was about time that they did something inteligent like marvel´s ultimate print and let the rest of the mortals enjoy their characters without having to learn decades of continuity

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
xitel said:
That minigun is growing from Green Lantern's crotch. Very clearly, that is a penisgun.
Green Lantern's powers are only limited by his Imaaaaginaaaaation!

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
DC's universe is such a mess that this almost has to happen. I hope Power Girl survives the reboot.