DC Plans To Turn Nightwing Into A Secret Agent

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I can't speak for the new 52 but before it was my understanding that grayson becoming nightwing was a show of how much he'd grown beyond the role of robin, them playing this as finally him coming out from under batman's shadow is kind of silly because they've played that card before right? I don't follow specific dc characters too closely and mostly just pick up the big events but unless something about his character has drastically changed with the new 52 grayson has his won identity and taking that away from him isn't going to help him grow as a character. also if he's faking his death continuing to go by "grayson" may not be the best way to avoid detection.

and yeah to be fair dc and marvel are always picking stuff from each other's successes, nova core is basically marvel green lanterns, lobo is knock off wolverine, the sentry is marvel's superman, moon knight is marvel batman. and of course deadpool is deathstroke

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
nightmare_gorilla said:
I can't speak for the new 52 but before it was my understanding that grayson becoming nightwing was a show of how much he'd grown beyond the role of robin, them playing this as finally him coming out from under batman's shadow is kind of silly because they've played that card before right? I don't follow specific dc characters too closely and mostly just pick up the big events but unless something about his character has drastically changed with the new 52 grayson has his won identity and taking that away from him isn't going to help him grow as a character. also if he's faking his death continuing to go by "grayson" may not be the best way to avoid detection.
You've summed it up perfectly :)

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I can't shake the feeling that this is nothing more then DC attempting to cash in on Marvel's wildly successful SHIELD and CA:TWS, But comics have been stealing from each other for years anyway.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I don't think it is a SHIELD ripoff really. DC over the last few years has had no shortage of super-equipped, super-secret, shady, government agencies (every second #1 of the New 52 seemed to bring in another one) and SPYRAL, at least what was seen during their short previous appearance, looks like one of the... wierder ones. But I suppose, look who wrote it. And Kathy Kane as the head of it? That still weirds me out. Anyway, I'm curious about this. And slightly curious to see more of SPYRAL, they felt very convenient-plot-device when they were introduced.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah... a former son/apprentice of batman running around killing people as a secret agent in the name of all that is good and heroic...

Makes perfect sense guys

Why is DC seems to have no idea what they are doing with their own characters anymore?

First we have man of steel 2 which more and more is looking like a avengers cash in clone with DC characters and random big name actors thrown in there

and now they are screwing up the comics...

*slowly claps* great job WB you are almost doing absolutely everything wrong, I mean aside from batman arkham orig oh wait...

That's right you decided not to fix that didn't you?

Alright then WB is officially fucking up everything to do with DC right now, their games are wrecked, their movies and comics are looking like they will follow suite...

Whee just what I want seeing more of my childhood icons shamelessly thrown into random garbage to make a quick buck...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Good lord, this is a terrible idea. The image of Dick Grayson even HOLDING a gun tells me it is a TERRIBLE idea.

Alright, check it. I think EVERYONE knows that Batman hates guns. Not only hates guns but basically as a lifelong, childhood formed HATRED of them. The only one in the Batfamily who could even think of getting away of handling a gun is Alfred, because he's Alfred screw you.

Now we have Dick. Dick isn't as crazy as Bruce, but, he doesn't have much reason to like guns either. On top of that, Dick is a fully formed character in his own right, probably the MOST out of any of the sidekicks. On top of THAT, Dick is the Anti-Bruce: cheerful, optimistic, trusting. He is a terrible liar, and a terrible spy. What he IS is a great performer and acrobat. He in no-way fits with a grim n gritty spy aesthetic.

So who is this comic for? FANS are going to be pissed because 1. Gun and 2. They're ruining happy go lucky Dick with ERMERGHERDMORALGREYISM. And non-fans? As evidenced by the news post, non-fans barely know who Dick Grayson is. Who is this comic for? What are they hoping to sell? WHO thought this was a good idea?