DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Treblaine said:
Therumancer said:
Heterosexuality and homosexuality are not mutually exclusive, that's what bisexuality is.
You didn't read my post very well. I myself mentioned that before this article I had been reading that the exactly sexuality was not disclosed and it was going to be LGBT, which lead me to saying my initial assumptions were that Wonder Woman was going to be outed as being Bi. I also mentioned Swift as a DC/Wildstorm character who is Bi already.

That said, this article (as other responses have picked up on) is saying that the statement is that an iconic DC character will be Gay, which means interested only in men. This being opposed to Lesbian or Bi-sexuality. Something that would be hard to reconcile with any of the iconic male characters without some ridiculous amounts of retconning, that in some cases could bring the entire continuity into question given some of the motivations in play.

Even if they went "bi" which I was omitting for a reason, as I explained, understand that DC is a universe where we've had numerous situations where villains have literally learned everythibng about a hero (even if they later forgot it) and then kidnapped their true love to leverage them, likewise we've had characters beat overwhelming odds while saying the name of their loved one and so on. If you were to suddenly say any one of these characters was secretly gay and nobody noticed, using their girlfriends as a beard (as the only way to justify it) up until this point, you'd have to question why they would be saying a girls' name for strength, or why some of these villains didn't kidnap their boyfriend, etc...

As I said it's a stunt, a bad idea being used to get attention, it's not something that could be justified with characters this established. DC is also not a company that really has anything to prove on these grounds to begin with, which is one of the reasons why it's such an obvious stunt. Despite my overall opinions, I have frequently referanced "The Authority" as being one of my favorite comic series of all time (along with things like Gen-13 and other Wildstorm titles). We've even had crossovers from Wildstorm into the DC universe, firmly setting it as an alternate dimension that can bleed into DC. They really don't need to do this to say "prove they are as politically correct, and hip, as marvel" since they arguably did it better than Marvel did when they "outed" Northstar many years ago.

That said, if they did want to do the whole bi- thing, I suppose they could reveal that Superman and Batman had an affair between other things, but that wouldn't be quite what they seem to be going for. This could be justified to an extent by "The Midnighter" and "Apolo" being the Wildstorm analogies to Superman and Batman and they are not only gay but married, so they could argue transdimensional inertia showing those tendencies were always there or whatever else. Of course "had a gay fling" isn't the same as wanting to make a gay character to parade around which seems to be the intent.

Personally if I was in charge of DC right now, given the ups and downs with Wildstorm's success, I'd consider bringing some of the more popular characters like The Midnighter into the DC universe more or less permanantly. Granted that wouldn't be iconic, and characters like that who kill wouldn't fit in with the JLC, but it would acheive a similar effect without having to retcon things. Of course then again the retconning is exactly what is going to get the attention and make them the money... so you know... it isn't really about common sense.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Antari said:
Forcing gay rights onto other people is just as wrong as forcing hetrosexual rights onto them. No, you don't see people getting up in arms over a hetrosexual relationship being shoehorned into a character's lives, because it doesn't happen, this is the exception to the rule. And yes changing little details is fine, but someone's sexual orientation is not what I would call a little detail. It affects how they live life, its major. Changing a major aspect of a character people have known for years, will alienate some of them. DC would have been smarter to create a new hero with a new story to tell. This reworking things because of political correctness is just outright destruction, nothing more.
1) They aren't forcing any gay rights onto anyone, they're making a character like men, not you, and you don't have to read it if you hate it so much. Besides, I don't think anyone ever had to fight for heterosexual rights in the first place did they? But that is a very messy topic, so lets not even go down there.

2) Movie bob did an entire episode on that wonder woman thing, I suggest you go watch it.

3) No.. It doesn't affect how anyone lives their life, it just affects who they sleep with. That's all, in reality this will probably amount to 1 or 2 strips about said partner as most of them do, before it's brushed under the carpet so that they can run around in tight bright spandex without any ball and chain.

The outright ignorance of your responses is kind of shocking frankly. The only part I can agree on is that it's pointless.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

I can't say I'm pleased, nor displeased with DC's decision to turn one of their characters gay. I mean, I'm not against it, I have absolutely nothing agasint gay people, but I just can't shake the feeling that this is all a tasteless stunt, like an ADHD child begging for attention.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Bit of a stunt, but something of a progression: from side characters (Maggie sawyer, the pied piper) to second stringers (Batwoman, The Question), and now someone important. So place your bets:

Superman: low odds, but the thought of all those right wing pundants' heads exploding would be sooooo worth it.

Batman: Man's married to his work.

Wonder Woman: a safer bet given back story and demographic for comics.

Aquaman: Married / been married (I don't know his new 52 status) so anything would be a bad yaoi soap opera.

Flash: I supposed a possibilty, but as Superman has Lois Lane, he has Iris West.

Green Lantern (I assume Hal): Might explain his problems with Carol, but why give H.E.A.T. an excuse to re-form.

Matian Manhunter: Been married.

Green Arrow: Womanizing has been too central to the character.

Hawkman: Now there's a fun twist the star crossed, reincarnated lovers thing.

And a longshot guess: Maybe this is thier latest attempt to get people to read Power Girl.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It should be Wonder Woman - it's the only one that makes sense in-character.

But it will probably be Aquaman, or Hawkman, or Flash (is Flash still Wally West? I just remember him ogling Power Girl all the time in JLE, but that's probably been retconned out of existence... /sigh)

Making it the Martian Manhunter would be a really cheap shot.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I bet it's wonder woman.

I hope they do it in a classy way and it's not like 'hurr durr 2 women making out'. That would just be shameful.

If it's Batman I will cry and the straight women of the world will mourn with me.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I call shenanigans if it turns out to be Wonder Woman, because this would shift from political correctness to pandering. Would be sad.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
FFS, people. As long as you keep pretending being gay is a big deal, the longer people will think it is. No one cares. Be gay. Be straight. Be bi. Be nonsexual. I don't care. It's real cute and all how you think making one of your characters gay is some big deal, but it's not. Go away. Your little stunt is a failure and you're shallow attempt at being edgy is about as awesome as a wet sandwich.

[HEADING=1]Stop making a big deal out of sexuality.[/HEADING]

Want one of your characters to be gay? Fine. Go ahead. But why the fuck are you telling everyone like it matters? I'll wait for you to out some heroes as hetero, too. Oh, you won't do that? Didn't think so.

God I hate this crap.

/rant

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
my predictions are, either

the flash
batman
green lantern

they all fit in my limited understanding of comic book lore
whoever it is, ill be watching this space

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Where are people getting the idea that Aquaman is gay from? Why that's outrageous!

I bet that even though they say "iconic" it will end up being a lesser known B-list hero, and when confronted they'll say "Well we think he is iconic". I'm pretty sure most of the "main" heroes are currently in a heterosexual relationship of some form.

I would hope that they don't make a big deal out of it, like having an entire story ark around one of the characters sexuality. That would just feel like a publicity stunt. Hopefully it's just kind of brought up discreetly.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MammothBlade said:
Binnsyboy said:
MammothBlade said:
Gay batman plz. Bearing in mind, batboy has been portrayed as somewhat gay before.
I really hope that isn't true. If so, whoever made that mistake is an idiot, or just likes disgusting puns ("batty boy" is a homophobic slur).
Batboy wasn't used offensively, if I did I'd be slurring myself.

It would just make the most sense.
Fair enough. Still, as I said, there's too much that would make gay Batman go wrong. Plus established love interests, like Talia, and to an extent, Catwoman.

I think either Superman, Wonder Woman or Green Lantern would be preferable. Though I'm still rooting for Aqua Man, because that would just be too funny.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Yeah it feels like s stunt, much like black/latino Ultimate Spider-Man did. But just like with Spider-Man it's probably a good stunt. There needs to be a first step in breaking the all-white, all-straight, mostly all-male lineup of characters in geek cultures, stunt or not.

Things like this are always going to cause a stir at first, hopefully it's not an isolated case, and hopefully, for every time it happens it will be slightly less controversial, slightly less sensational until finally there's nothing weird about it at all. As it should be.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I would feel better about this if I knew it was something the DC writers genuinely wanted to do and was not something that DC was doing as a publicity stunt or to appease someone or group.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'll put 20 pounds on Flash. (b'-')b

Though Green Lantern has always struck me as a bit camp too....

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I doubt it will be Green Lantern as he has been chasing Carol Ferris since the 60s!
Superman and Lois Lane have been together for near 70 years - to shake that up would be upsetting whether it be man or woman.

I have my money on Aquaman or Manhunter...
Mind you, Batman has never really had a relationship in the comics...
Jason Todd maybe? Red Arrow?

Hmm

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Well, if Big Gay Al was also a super hero, he'd call himself Super! Man, so I'm going to guess it's Superman.

"How are you doing Superman?"

"I'm Super! Thanks for asking!"

If it's not Superman, then my second guess would be Captain Marvel, who has a fabulously flamboyant costume, moniker and catchphrase.