DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
I thought DC said it would be a character new to the "NEW 52". So I'm voting for Wally West

Also: in Marvel comics Wiccan and Hulkling have been dating for 7 years.

Edit:
And don't forget about Northstar and Kyle Jinadu who are getting married.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
I'm not a betting man, but my money is on Flash. Green Lantern is a close second.

Superman - part of his story is his relationship with Lois Lane, so no.

Batman - too obvious with all the suspicions through the years; besides, he's the "World's Most Eligible Bachelor", meaning in comic book lingo "He gets tons of girls", so again no.

Aquaman - unless the reboot changed things, he's kinda married and no I don't think it's denial or cover, so again no

Flash and GL are the only ones that make any sense to me. Still, if done correctly, well done DC. I totally support this, again if done correctly.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
arc1991 said:
Waaghpowa said:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!
Neh, if going by Arkham City, he has a thing for Catwomen and Talia Al Ghul.
There are plenty of cases in which someone had heterosexual sex, had children then came out. The fact that Batman had a relationship with Talia isn't indicative of his heterosexuality.

Some times it takes a persons entire life to come out after trying to do what society considers "normal".

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Politically Correct stunt, nothing to see here. That said I imagine the whole "coming out" issue will sell a lot of books, and that's the big point. If it tanks the title they can always retcon it later.

I say this is a PC stunt because out of the iconic characters pretty much every one of them has a love interest, many have been married, and we've even had kids running around at various times, sometimes from alternate timelines, sometimes not.

Aquaman has had his queens and mer-babes, Superman has had Lois Lane, Batman had his big things with Catwoman and Talia and has a son, etc... even Martian Manhunter has had his past loves.

At this point pretty much all of the iconic characters would have to be retconned into being gay. Except maybe Wonder Woman (if they said Lesbian) but her being bi- kind of falls under the "duh" catagory, though I imagine they could spend some time on who she's been with to be shocking (ie other iconic or well known characters at times, behind the scenes). I suppose they COULD work with second stringer heroes using an iconic mantle, like say some of the "also ran" Green Lanterns that also have the name.

I'll also say this is lulzworthy because DC actually runs an entire imprint called "Wildstorm" that is full of LGBT characters. Noir, Apollo, The Midnighter, Sarah Rainmaker, Swift (Bi), etc...

Heralding this entire thing has been this whole supposition that DC needs to catch up with other comics companies in the arena of political correctness, but really it's probably been at this longer than say Marvel as it has LGBT characters who are still in print to the best of my knowlege. This having been handled better than say the whole reveal that Northstar was gay in Marvel from years ago.

There isn't really any stopping them, and I suppose in the short term it's a good move because of the sales it will generate of whatever title they pick. In the long term it's a ret conning nightmare that is probably going to play havoc with continuity, especially given how much the whole "I must save my girlfriend" thing has been used as a motivating force for any of those characters.

To me the funniest character for them to say would be gay is actually Hawkman (as opposed to Aquaman) I mean girly wings, leather straps... he fits the image. Of course it would be lulzworthy because Hawkman is the character who is probably most based around his heterosexuality as a big part of his storylines has revolved around his girlfriend and how if he and his soul mate ever get together death/doom follows. I suppose technically they could have his soul mate reincarnate as a guy, but that would kind of be pushing it in saying "he was always gay". This aspect of the character was brought out and used to beat you over the head in part of the whole "Darkest Night" / "Brightest Day" thing a few years ago where he had a whole scene about that with Hawkwoman.

That said in other things I read on the subject they didn't say "gay" flat out, but seemed to dance around it. That lead me to believe that they were finally just going to spell out the nature of Wonder Woman's romance life, which would be the one iconic character they could say was always that way, without much in the way of retconning.

Also, isn't Plastic Man gay already?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Frontastic said:
Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.
I can just imagine Riddlers new line...

"Riddle me this, Riddle me that, who's afraid of the homosexual bat"?

And Joker... "Well look who it is, It's my dearest friend, I'm flattered you were thinking of me Bat's but i don't swing that way"...

Lets face it, if it was him the villains would have a field day considering 70% of them make wise ass jokes...

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
I'm betting its Wonder Woman, with some of the reimaging of characters and some of the women being a bit more... sexually in either costume, attitude, personality etc, I'm betting for the male fans they are making it Wonder Woman.

If not here are my other options.

Green Lantern, safe bet to not make it too iconic.

Superman, full out LGBT support to make the hero's hero gay.

Batman, too much of a low hanging fruit, the Robin/Batman fanservice would be WAYYY too justified here.

Joke options

Green Arrow

The Martian "Man Hunter"

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
arc1991 said:
Waaghpowa said:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!
Neh, if going by Arkham City, he has a thing for Catwomen and Talia Al Ghul.
There are plenty of cases in which someone had heterosexual sex, had children then came out. The fact that Batman had a relationship with Talia isn't indicative of his heterosexuality.

Some times it takes a persons entire life to come out after trying to do what society considers "normal".
True, but considering he put Talia safety before the rest of the City, and was only stopped by Alfred, kinda tells me he is straight, but i suppose your right.

If it is him, Joker will have a field day.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Aquaman is 1) slightly less of a joke now, and 2) actually married. Seems unlikely

Most of the other major characters are getting some on a regular basis in the reboot...

Cyborg's fairly high-ranking at the moment courtesy of justice league, so that's a possibility. As is Superboy, I guess. Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern), maybe, since Soranik Natu hasn't reappeared yet?

I read too many comics.

EDIT: Post-reboot:

Superman's still going after Lois Lane

Flash is in a relationship

Batman's still on-again, off-again with Catwoman

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) is kind of in a relationship

Aquaman's married.

Well-known heroes left: The other 3 green lanterns, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, assorted previous Robins, Batgirl, most members of the Teen Titans. (I don't know about Green Arrow)
I really read too many comics.

As long as they don't got the Batwoman route and point out every two seconds that she's a lesbian, it's fine. Nothing against anyone at any point on the spectrum of sexuality, it's just that I object to DC dancing around going 'look how politically correct we are!'

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Congratz to you DC comics. Now can you please get over this "gay power".

nobody really cares. Why? Becuase people can accpet that homosexuality exists, ffs, this is indirecly homophobic.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
arc1991 said:
True, but considering he put Talia safety before the rest of the City, and was only stopped by Alfred, kinda tells me he is straight, but i suppose your right.
We can't run under the assumption that him putting the welfare of a woman ahead of everything else equals heterosexual love either. He's also put the well being of Robin first.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Definitely the Flash or Green Lantern. Largely because any other characters would be a distraction and disruption of major established relationships. It could be Aquaman, but that just seems like it would be a little too easy.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Antari said:
This will go over about as well as Online DRM. They couldn't have come up with a new superhero? They had to change an existing one. Alienating part of those readers, so another group of readers can feel better about themselves. Great choice DC!
Yes, because you're equally alienated when Catwoman likes men, why can't she like women too!? Shut up.

In all seriousness, this is insulting, it's most likely going to be green lantern, because god forbid Batman would like the penis.

J.Badlands

Apr 9, 2011
Its either, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, the Flash or Hawkman, but my moneys on Martian Manhunter, mainly cos he's the most alien, and they may do things differently on Mars. And I know Superman is from another planet too, but he was raised on earth. However maybe his relationship with Lois Lane is a Front, but personally I think Superman is too obvious a choice, so I still think Martian Manhunter, but next choice would be the Flash, cos Manhunter maybe asexual.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Duh, it's clearly Apollo and Midnighter:

(I don't really read DC comics but I read a lot of Wildstorm after being hooked on Warren Ellis' Authority)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So they've been wearing full-body leotards for years... and now they're coming out?

[sub]Pssst, we already knew.[/sub]

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Elate said:
Antari said:
This will go over about as well as Online DRM. They couldn't have come up with a new superhero? They had to change an existing one. Alienating part of those readers, so another group of readers can feel better about themselves. Great choice DC!
Yes, because you're equally alienated when Catwoman likes men, why can't she like women too!? Shut up.

In all seriousness, this is insulting, it's most likely going to be green lantern, because god forbid Batman would like the penis.
Actually I haven't read a comic book in years. But the point still stands, theres absolutely no reason to "change" an existing character just because a few people whine about something. If they wanted to introduce that theme they could just have easily come up with a new superhero. Its not like it would be a significant challange. But taking an existing character and making some "additions" to the back story is lame beyond description.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
arc1991 said:
Frontastic said:
Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.
I can just imagine Riddlers new line...

"Riddle me this, Riddle me that, who's afraid of the homosexual bat"?

And Joker... "Well look who it is, It's my dearest friend, I'm flattered you were thinking of me Bat's but i don't swing that way"...

Lets face it, if it was him the villains would have a field day considering 70% of them make wise ass jokes...
Actually yeah Riddler could be interesting, as would Catwoman.

But Joker wouldn't even need to be changed. He always seems to have been operating as if Batman was gay. Doesn't Arkham City have that line after the blood transfussion where Joker says something like "you've got what you always wanted, a little bit of me inside you". There are so many little throw away lines like that in City and Asylum.