DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Blind Sight said:
Duh, it's clearly Apollo and Midnighter:

(I don't really read DC comics but I read a lot of Wildstorm after being hooked on Warren Ellis' Authority)
Already in the relaunch, already gay. They're in Stormwatch, if you're remotely interested in their continued goings-on.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.
But they specifically state it will be an "Iconic" Superhero.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! That's a burn folks.

Anyways, I personally hope it's going to be Batman (I mean come on!) but I imagine it's going to be Wonderwomam or someone like that. I just think Batman is too obvious and in all honesty, it would probably make a large part of his fanbase angry--at least the casual ones who only know him from the movies.

On the other hand, it would be a the whole Batman/Robin thing offers a great way to show how two dudes could live together and not be gay. It would be like Bert and Ernie, except with more sexy violence.

I should probably check up on the whole reboot thing before I start making claims about this though.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Frontastic said:
Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.
Batman's not gay. He's a furry.

He's like 2 steps away from a fursuit.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
J03bot said:
Blind Sight said:
Duh, it's clearly Apollo and Midnighter:

(I don't really read DC comics but I read a lot of Wildstorm after being hooked on Warren Ellis' Authority)
Already in the relaunch, already gay. They're in Stormwatch, if you're remotely interested in their continued goings-on.
I'm well aware, that was the joke (they're pretty much designed as a riff on the Superman and Batman bromance). Pretty sure they're married too.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Gay batman plz. Bearing in mind, batboy has been portrayed as somewhat gay before.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Antari said:
Actually I haven't read a comic book in years. But the point still stands, theres absolutely no reason to "change" an existing character just because a few people whine about something. If they wanted to introduce that theme they could just have easily come up with a new superhero. Its not like it would be a significant challange. But taking an existing character and making some "additions" to the back story is lame beyond description.
Yet they do it all the time with loads of other little details, and I don't remember ANYONE whining about anything, in fact, this thing usually causes more whining than it does pander to it so that point is mute.

What they are doing is trying to stay relevant to the modern age by shoe horning in something which probably won't fit with the character in the slightest, since they seem to have a terrible way of writing any relationship. Still doesn't alienate anyone, so no, your point doesn't stand, you said people were being alienated, are they also being alienated with heterosexual relationships in comics since they don't apply to them either? I mean, I doubt anyone is doing to end up with Lois Lane however hard they might wish.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
John Funk said:
I can't shake the feeling that this is little more than a stunt.
That?s what I thought when I read this on another site, I don't follow comics so it won't really effect me. I'd rather see a new hero/heroine created from the ground up as it will have fans of whichever hero it is split for and against the preference switch.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
This is getting a lot of hate, and I understand why. I mean sure, it seems like a stunt, and it might very well serve as that too.

But the thing is, I'm glad they're doing this. I think it's smart.
Back when these characters were made, you just couldn't publish a gay superhero. It wouldn't happen. Now these characters are iconic and the most well known of DC's universe. What better time to make a change like this than a reboot?

Sure, sure, I know people are saying "Why not make a new character?" but... Well, first of all they have. Bunker in the new Teen Titans is gay, and the DC assimilated Stormwatch run is doing a very good job on the Apollo/Midnighter romance. Batwoman is sticking around as a lesbian superhero.
Secondly, making a new character who is gay just isn't going to change much. They'll probably just sink into the depths of obscurity. It wouldn't change how we think of homosexuality in comic books.

I think it's a great idea to take an established character who is an iconic part of DC and make them gay. It's a slight change, and if DC handles it like Paul Cornell or Scott Lobdell did with their gay characters, then it should be easy to pull it off in a way that's respectful and, well... Classy.

Also, I doubt it's Aquaman, since his wife is already in his book.
Honestly I think Batman fits this role best. He just can't seem to settle and has meaningless uncommitted over-compensating women sex. Who knows how much of it is just his Bruce Wayne persona?

I'd like it to be Flash as I'm already collecting that book, but he seems hung up on Patty Spivot and Iris West.

A gay Wonder Woman would be cool. I'd like that best, probably. Then again, I don't see why she'd leave Paradise Island if she was ;D

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, Batman is gay. They might "out" some other character, but I don't see the point since they already have a perfectly fine major gay character, so why not roll with him?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Gorilla Gunk said:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.
So do I, just to draw it away from Batman.

Nothing wrong with gay Batman, but it would make it more obviously contrived to make Batman gay. Plus they say he's "openly gay". Which even if it's Captain Jack Harkness style, as opposed to making him stereotypically flaming, still kind of puts up an antithesis to his established personality.

Plus there's that whole Robin thing...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I always wondered why they called him Martian "Man Hunter".
I admit, I lol'd. This would be quite hilarious if it was him.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MammothBlade said:
Gay batman plz. Bearing in mind, batboy has been portrayed as somewhat gay before.
I really hope that isn't true. If so, whoever made that mistake is an idiot, or just likes disgusting puns ("batty boy" is a homophobic slur).

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
MammothBlade said:
I really hope that isn't true. If so, whoever made that mistake is an idiot, or just likes disgusting puns ("batty boy" is a homophobic slur).
Batboy wasn't used offensively, if I did I'd be slurring myself.

It would just make the most sense.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Elate said:
Antari said:
Actually I haven't read a comic book in years. But the point still stands, theres absolutely no reason to "change" an existing character just because a few people whine about something. If they wanted to introduce that theme they could just have easily come up with a new superhero. Its not like it would be a significant challange. But taking an existing character and making some "additions" to the back story is lame beyond description.
Yet they do it all the time with loads of other little details, and I don't remember ANYONE whining about anything, in fact, this thing usually causes more whining than it does pander to it so that point is mute.

What they are doing is trying to stay relevant to the modern age by shoe horning in something which probably won't fit with the character in the slightest, since they seem to have a terrible way of writing any relationship. Still doesn't alienate anyone, so no, your point doesn't stand, you said people were being alienated, are they also being alienated with heterosexual relationships in comics since they don't apply to them either? I mean, I doubt anyone is doing to end up with Lois Lane however hard they might wish.
Forcing gay rights onto other people is just as wrong as forcing hetrosexual rights onto them. No, you don't see people getting up in arms over a hetrosexual relationship being shoehorned into a character's lives, because it doesn't happen, this is the exception to the rule. And yes changing little details is fine, but someone's sexual orientation is not what I would call a little detail. It affects how they live life, its major. Changing a major aspect of a character people have known for years, will alienate some of them. DC would have been smarter to create a new hero with a new story to tell. This reworking things because of political correctness is just outright destruction, nothing more.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Family Guy pointed out that Tom Cruise is constanly running in movies to get away from his gay thoughts.

Following this logic, I am going to guess that it is the Flash.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Superman is possible since the New 52 reboot put a pin in Lois and Clark's relationship. However, I believe they are more likely working a Superman Wonder Woman relationship instead.

Green Arrow is unlikely due to Black Canary.

Hale Jorden. Possible, and would explain his relationship to Carol and explain what turned her into a Hate Filled Star Sapphire better. (Gaydar fail coupled with rejection)

Batman. Maybe but only in the 60's. I'd put him in the "ASexual"(not Sexual) category as he's been in recent years.

Flash. Maybe, but only because I can hardly describe any of his relationships.

Aqua Man. Kinda cliche. I mean really the Prince is Gay? How many times has that been done? Not to mention the problems that would cause with the Royal Family.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I have never read a dc comic in my life.
And yet I'm going to bet it'll be The Flash.

Why? Because I think dc thinks they can get away with it. And they can get away with calling him iconic.
I would be impressed if it was Batman though. It's long overdue, what with Robin and all.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
God. The fact that this is getting any attention is beyond sad. The correct response:-

"One of our heroes is gay!"

"And? Oh, you consider being gay a big deal? That's cute."

I'm sure some are straight, too. You gonna have them "come out" as hetero?