DC Superheroes Team Up in First Justice League Trailer

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
DC Superheroes Team Up in First Justice League Trailer

<youtube=3cxixDgHUYw>

Your favorite DC heroes unite - without Superman.

I don't even know if it's possible to be excited at this point, but Warner Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/warner+bros] has released the first full Justice League trailer. It looks ... more of the same, really.

There's a bunch of context-free action, there are a couple of jokes, it's all darker than it should be, and we get to see a bunch of the heroes - only two of which have had any significant screen time in previous movies - team up and fight the bad guys.

Missing from it all? Batman v Superman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/henry+cavill][/i] know why, as it appears Justice League will, for at least a while, play up the final few moments of that movie.

It appears that the movie will allow Jason Momoa [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ben+affleck]).

It's really hard to get hyped at this point, but we'll all get to find out whether or not Justice League will be any good when it hits theaters on November 17, 2017.

[gallery=7099]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The trailer makes it seem more "fun" than it will likely be.

Also it just hit me, the reason they use so many licensed songs in these movies...WB has a music label or something, doesnt it?

@Kibeth41: The thing is...the first Captain America wasnt lame.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
The tone is all over the place. The visuals are drab and dull like the previous films, and the plot is most likely going to be very serious. But they've got upbeat music and jokes thrown in in an attempt to make it seem upbeat, like Guardians of the Galaxy. It all clashes, resulting in a film that doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be. I suspect that there was heavy executive meddling from incompetent WB executives who are trying to hit various demographics and nail whats popular in the moment. The result will most likely be a predictable mess that will inevitably be rebooted down the line.

EDIT: And why does it feel like Zack Snyder still has so much influence when he's released more duds then successes at this point? Studios need to stop letting him jizz his nerdy middle school note book doodles all over the big screen.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
This just, for some reason, screams "Michael Bay's Avengers" to me... I dunno why, but it feels like its just all big setpiece boom action and nothing of substance. I'm not saying Whedon's Avengers was deep and full of substance, but it didn't make me feel "meh" after watching the first major trailer...

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Oh that music is so fitting for the whole thing! It's perfect, almost poetic and completely indicative of the whole movie and the WB/DC combination and what they are trying to do.

It's a pretty lame cover of Come Together by The Beatles.
Just like this movie will be a pretty lame cover of The Avengers movie.

Both trying to get some fame and praise for being a rip-off of something that was great and loved.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That trailer really doesn't do much for me, honestly.

Wonder Woman looks interesting, and Jason Momoa because reasons.... *ahem*

Anyways, I think they're trying too hard to get the tone from the Marvel movies of having both serious moments and goofiness. Seems forced to me, but, we'll see.

Saelune said:
Also it just hit me, the reason they use so many licensed songs in these movies...WB has a music label or something, doesnt it?
Yes, indeed they do!

They are one of the "Big Three", along with Sony and Universal. Not really all that shocked by how much licensed music they use, really, since they have a lots to pull from.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Anyways, I think they're trying too hard to get the tone from the Marvel movies of having both serious moments and goofiness. Seems forced to me, but, we'll see.

Saelune said:
Yes, indeed they do!

They are one of the "Big Three", along with Sony and Universal. Not really all that shocked by how much licensed music they use, really, since they have a lots to pull from.
They abuse that power. I noticed it in Suicide Squad before.

In relation to the forced humor, I think perhaps Guardian of the Galaxy maybe made them think using contrasting songs will make it funny without realizing -why- the music did work in Guardians. I mean, I like most of the music they pick, but the way they haphazardly use it realy takes me out of the movie, and for comic book movies, that shouldnt be easy to do for me (beyond blatantly getting characters wrong).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well, I hope it turns out good. A bit of dodgy CGI on the cyborg dude notwithstanding. WB needs to lay of the overly controlling nature towards their creative visionaries first though.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I don't really know what to think about this to be honest. I'd love to go into it thinking it'll be great but quite frankly after the utter trainwrecks that have comprised the rest of the DC films I fully expect this to be complete and total wank. It's a real shame because I want these to be good but I'm sure not going to see it in the cinema - WB have already taken enough of my money for a set of mediocre-to-trash films so I'll just wait for this one to hit DVD before I see it.

But yeah, not too sure what to think. The enemies are supposed to be something to do with Darkseid I think, but they look pretty generic to me. Because the film hasn't done origins for most of the main cast I expect a decent portion of this film will be spent explaining who they are, which doesn't sound like good film-making to me. I'm not fooled by the one or two wisecracks or fun music in the trailer - Suicide Squad did the same thing and it didn't represent the final product there so why should it this time around? Part of me thinks it might at least be a decent action flick but I dunno. Guess I'll find out when it gets a home release.

Also, does anyone else think Cyborg looks oddly skinny? I've always pictured him (or he always seems to me to be pictured) as a big burly robot-bloke but here he looks practically waifish.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Jesus Christ. Can you write an article that isn't so fucking jaded the entire way through?
Marter is rather jaded about a lot of things... *gazes in the direction of the Rogue One rant/review*

Hating the trailer because you didn't like BvS is like hating Civil War because the first Captain America movie was lame.
I didn't see any 'hate' in the write-up at all, I see the kind of skepticism and anxiety that comes from someone having watched past Warner efforts to build their DCCU on fast-forward. I quite liked the trailer, but Warner have proved they can craft some catastrophically terrible films, so no one's sure until they actually see Justice League.

And as someone else pointed out; the first Cap movie was well received and a lot of people regard it very fondly (fans and some non-nerdy film critics alike).

Civil War's trailer (we're talking about trailers and responses, here, not films) arrived after numerous films and hits (critical and commercial), so even if The First Avenger had been panned or shunned, Marvel Studios/Disney build up some serious goodwill.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'll largely repeat what I've already said in other threads.

The movie looks dark. Not like in terms of tone, but lighting. Like they just couldn't bother to light the set. Also, the movie apparently now has jokes. I'm happy to see a bit of humor in this, but it feels so out of place. Like someone took the script for what is an "edgy" film and added contextless jokes into it.

And cyborg still looks horrible. Like he's being rendered with a PS2. It's so bad that I almost didn't notice that I hate his character design. Though, I think I hate Aquaman's character design even more.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this film. Maybe I'm just too much of a skeptic or a cynic, but I'm not expecting much from this. Then again, BvS and MoS were dumpster fires, and I didn't even bother with Suicide Squad.

Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Saelune said:
Yes, indeed they do!

In relation to the forced humor, I think perhaps Guardian of the Galaxy maybe made them think using contrasting songs will make it funny without realizing -why- the music did work in Guardians. I mean, I like most of the music they pick, but the way they haphazardly use it realy takes me out of the movie, and for comic book movies, that shouldnt be easy to do for me (beyond blatantly getting characters wrong).
Now that you bring it up, the song really doesn't fit with the apparent tone of the trailer or movie. I like the song, but it's just not the right song for Justice League. Sort of seems like someone said, "Hey, this song says 'come together' and the Justice League is forming in this movie! Oh, let's use this song for the trailer!". Which... Yeah, just doesn't work. It's like a really bad AMV.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Saelune said:
Yes, indeed they do!

That's because James Gunn was behind it, and that guy knows how to pick songs that match the tone and mood. He did the same for Lollipop Chainsaw, too.

I don't think it's Warner's fault there, but it might have to do with the marketing team. I mean, why pay for music outside of your company's scope when you can look at their catalogue and pick and choose. Royalty payments are much, much cheaper that way.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's because James Gunn was behind it, and that guy knows how to pick songs that match the tone and mood. He did the same for Lollipop Chainsaw, too.

I don't think it's Warner's fault there, but it might have to do with the marketing team. I mean, why pay for music outside of your company's scope when you can look at their catalogue and pick and choose. Royalty payments are much, much cheaper that way.
Oh, If I was them, Id only use from my own catalogue unless that truly perfect song was outside of it, but just because you can, doesnt mean you should. Use the right songs at the right times. Dont just use all the songs because you can.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Oh, If I was them, Id only use from my own catalogue unless that truly perfect song was outside of it, but just because you can, doesnt mean you should. Use the right songs at the right times. Dont just use all the songs because you can.
Oh, totally.

The music in the trailer was garbage, and just didn't fit at all. Which makes me wonder what they're trying to do with the movie, and the Justice League series in general because you know there are going to be sequels.

I mean, it almost made sense for the Suicide Squad because of the angle they were trying to do. Here? Not buying it.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Oh, totally.

The music in the trailer was garbage, and just didn't fit at all. Which makes me wonder what they're trying to do with the movie, and the Justice League series in general because you know there are going to be sequels.

I mean, it almost made sense for the Suicide Squad because of the angle they were trying to do. Here? Not buying it.
Well, the music was chosen for only one thing really.
It's a cover of Come Together by The Beatles. A terrible cover from the sounds of it.
They wanted a song that sounded like a call to action, something hype-y and such, and they thought that Come Together fitted.
Although I think the original is under licence by Sony, so they had to choose a shitty cover of it from their own stock.

Naturally, choosing a shitty cover of a great and much loved song only makes it more obvious that the movie pretty much will be a shitty cover of another great and loved movie, The Avengers.
Sooo ... perfect choice there WB.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
JenSeven said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Oh, totally.

Well, the music was chosen for only one thing really.
It's a cover of Come Together by The Beatles. A terrible cover from the sounds of it.
They wanted a song that sounded like a call to action, something hype-y and such, and they thought that Come Together fitted.
Although I think the original is under licence by Sony, so they had to choose a shitty cover of it from their own stock.

Naturally, choosing a shitty cover of a great and much loved song only makes it more obvious that the movie pretty much will be a shitty cover of another great and loved movie, The Avengers.
Sooo ... perfect choice there WB.
I think they chose that shitty version is because, to my knowledge, no one has the rights to the Beatles. I mean, I know both Sony and Michael Jackson owned them, but that fell apart once MK died. So, yeah.

Still, I think that music choice was terrible. They could have chosen a different song for that purpose and not that God-awful song.

But, in terms of shittiness, you do make a fair point. :p

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Ill wait and see. Having said that, uf Cyborg does not say booyah, Ill refuse to see it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Saelune said:
Yes, indeed they do!

Dude its pretty much a trend that is replacing Inception Horn.

Mass Effect Andromeda has licensed music track for its trailer.

Star Trek Beyond had it with Beyonce.

This is the current thing with Trailers now back than it was Inception Horn sometimes mixed with dubstep, than it was epic Choir Bombing "ho ho ho hoh!!""