DC Superheroes Team Up in First Justice League Trailer

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Anyway I am gonna bash on Marvel to balance this anti DC shit out, because I am getting tired of people putting Marvel on a pedestal.

My target is the upcoming Spiderman movie and its.....fuckin Poster:

This poster tells me everything what Marvel is gonna do to Spiderman. Yeah Spidey, were some stupid jacket, listen to music head those headphones, not a care in the world, you are totally taking "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility" thing seriously now aren't you :p

Seriously they are turning Spiderman into fucking Deadpool, fuck you Marvel.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That trailer really doesn't do much for me, honestly.

Wonder Woman looks interesting, and Jason Momoa because reasons.... *ahem*

Anyways, I think they're trying too hard to get the tone from the Marvel movies of having both serious moments and goofiness. Seems forced to me, but, we'll see.

Saelune said:
Also it just hit me, the reason they use so many licensed songs in these movies...WB has a music label or something, doesnt it?
Yes, indeed they do!

They are one of the "Big Three", along with Sony and Universal. Not really all that shocked by how much licensed music they use, really, since they have a lots to pull from.
They abuse that power. I noticed it in Suicide Squad before.

In relation to the forced humor, I think perhaps Guardian of the Galaxy maybe made them think using contrasting songs will make it funny without realizing -why- the music did work in Guardians. I mean, I like most of the music they pick, but the way they haphazardly use it realy takes me out of the movie, and for comic book movies, that shouldnt be easy to do for me (beyond blatantly getting characters wrong).
That's because James Gunn was behind it, and that guy knows how to pick songs that match the tone and mood. He did the same for Lollipop Chainsaw, too.

I don't think it's Warner's fault there, but it might have to do with the marketing team. I mean, why pay for music outside of your company's scope when you can look at their catalogue and pick and choose. Royalty payments are much, much cheaper that way.
Dude its pretty much a trend that is replacing Inception Horn.

Mass Effect Andromeda has licensed music track for its trailer.

Star Trek Beyond had it with Beyonce.

This is the current thing with Trailers now back than it was Inception Horn sometimes mixed with dubstep, than it was epic Choir Bombing "ho ho ho hoh!!""
Well, yeah.

That's the point behind a marketing team. They track trends and use those to sell their stuff. Am I surprised that's the trend they went after? No.

Do I still think it's shit? Yes. But I also think that they are trying too many things, and I don't think it will work in their favor.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, it was better than the original one. Still looks bad in terms of lighting/CGI, but the characters feel like actual characters. Which...

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
This just, for some reason, screams "Michael Bay's Avengers" to me... I dunno why, but it feels like its just all big setpiece boom action and nothing of substance.
Is why I can sympathize with this statement, but not entirely agree. I've seen the latest trailer for The Last Knight, and while everyone is complaining about the "feminist conspiracy" because of the girl character, I'm thinking that it's really telling that the only actual 'character' in the trailer is a human, while the Transformer characters are barely characters at all, but at fighting AGAIN.

So, no, even BvS didn't get to the level of Revenge of the Fallen/Age of Extinction.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
This just, for some reason, screams "Michael Bay's Avengers" to me... I dunno why, but it feels like its just all big setpiece boom action and nothing of substance. I'm not saying Whedon's Avengers was deep and full of substance, but it didn't make me feel "meh" after watching the first major trailer...
What substance is it lacking in really?

Hawki said:
Well, it was better than the original one. Still looks bad in terms of lighting/CGI, but the characters feel like actual characters. Which...

This just, for some reason, screams "Michael Bay's Avengers" to me... I dunno why, but it feels like its just all big setpiece boom action and nothing of substance.
Is why I can sympathize with this statement, but not entirely agree. I've seen the latest trailer for The Last Knight, and while everyone is complaining about the "feminist conspiracy" because of the girl character, I'm thinking that it's really telling that the only actual 'character' in the trailer is a human, while the Transformer characters are barely characters at all, but at fighting AGAIN.

So, no, even BvS didn't get to the level of Revenge of the Fallen/Age of Extinction.
People are acusing Michael Bay of a Feminist Conspiracy? I thought people always wrote him off as a meatheaded right winger?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's because James Gunn was behind it, and that guy knows how to pick songs that match the tone and mood. He did the same for Lollipop Chainsaw, too.
Did he really act as music supervisor on that as well?

(IMBD apparently informs me Michael Rosenbaum was Nick, and Sean Gunn and Michael Rooker were also in the cast. I should've paid attention to the game's cast list/s... )

I've not seen Suicide Squad yet, but I gather that's a particularly terrible example of how to use licensed music. So far in the DC filmverse, Zimmer's under-used theme for Supes in Man Of Steel is the best they've had, and even that arguably felt like it was scoring a Superman from an entirely different [more hopeful/ideologically coherent] film.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
This just, for some reason, screams "Michael Bay's Avengers" to me... I dunno why, but it feels like its just all big setpiece boom action and nothing of substance. I'm not saying Whedon's Avengers was deep and full of substance, but it didn't make me feel "meh" after watching the first major trailer...
For me, what it feels like is WB/DC trying to emulate the success of Marvel but without actually realizing what has made Marvel successful in its shared universe. Note that I'm not saying that MCU movies are all that deep, but they do feel more well put together than the last three DC shared universe films. Even the CW-verse TV Shows do a better job of substantiating the material than the films have for DC's recent output. And this is coming from someone who still enjoyed Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad. Despite enjoying them, they just don't make me feel like I've gotta go see them. I don't really care about the universe. Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow are all leaps and bounds better IMO and I've no idea why WB/DC didn't just pull that universe into the film canon... would have worked out soooooo much better and felt more substantial.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Darth Rosenberg said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Did he really act as music supervisor on that as well?

(IMBD apparently informs me Michael Rosenbaum was Nick, and Sean Gunn and Michael Rooker were also in the cast. I should've paid attention to the game's cast list/s... )

I've not seen Suicide Squad yet, but I gather that's a particularly terrible example of how to use licensed music. So far in the DC filmverse, Zimmer's under-used theme for Supes in Man Of Steel is the best they've had, and even that arguably felt like it was scoring a Superman from an entirely different [more hopeful/ideologically coherent] film.
Yup, he sure did.

Apparently, he went with older songs to fit the mood in whatever Starlord was feeling or doing, and if a song fits with the scene in some random part. The scene with "Cherry Bomb" by the Runaways is a personal favorite of mine.

I personally think Zimmer is grossly misused in the Man of Steel movie. The score he did for Interstellar was fantastic, and I loved his use of organ in the score. I've seen MoS, and I honestly can't remember a single piece of music from it. Damn shame, really.

Thankfully, he's done with dealing with superhero movies, and he's replaced by Junkie XL in this film. I like him, but I have concerns.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
For me, what it feels like is WB/DC trying to emulate the success of Marvel but without actually realizing what has made Marvel successful in its shared universe. Note that I'm not saying that MCU movies are all that deep, but they do feel more well put together than the last three DC shared universe films. Even the CW-verse TV Shows do a better job of substantiating the material than the films have for DC's recent output. And this is coming from someone who still enjoyed Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad. Despite enjoying them, they just don't make me feel like I've gotta go see them. I don't really care about the universe. Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow are all leaps and bounds better IMO and I've no idea why WB/DC didn't just pull that universe into the film canon... would have worked out soooooo much better and felt more substantial.
I believe the problem is superhero burn out, we have already seen Superhero team ups beating mooks of enemies a 10 times already.

At this point just stop making Superhero movies and making something new. Like make a Fantasy movie like Lord of the Rings and Warcraft please.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know, I think the trailer looks like the movie will be better than BvS. I'm at least more hopeful for it, if only so Batman has people to play off of, because I fall into the camp that he's better when he's not alone.

Also, Wonder Woman really likes that leg sweep move, doesn't she? She uses it in her movie trailer, and she uses it in this one. Same slow mo effect and everything.

Also, for the love of all things holy, can we get some light in these movies? Seriously, why is everything washed out and/or dark? It hurts to look at sometimes.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Saelune said:
The trailer makes it seem more "fun" than it will likely be.

Also it just hit me, the reason they use so many licensed songs in these movies...WB has a music label or something, doesnt it?

@Kibeth41: The thing is...the first Captain America wasnt lame.
Yes they do. I think Linkin Park is on it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
I believe the problem is superhero burn out, we have already seen Superhero team ups beating mooks of enemies a 10 times already.

At this point just stop making Superhero movies and making something new. Like make a Fantasy movie like Lord of the Rings and Warcraft please.
For me its not even that. The overall tone of the WB/DC universe is so grimdark it just doesn't feel like a proper translation of the comics. I don't mean the narrative tone so much as the visual tone. Sure, Batman as a comic is dark, thanks to the work of Frank Miller, but even still the palette used in coloring the DC comics is still so much brighter than the Snyderverse. Even Tim Burton's Batman movies had a better visual tone that fit within the comic styling. MCU movies tend to have that more often than not as well, even in their darker stories.
BvS, Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, and the trailers for WW and JL all have that same visual tone that just makes it feel awfully dark and depressive, regardless of narrative. That overall makes it feel like there's nothing substantive about it, and also makes me feel like its the whole "we're grimdark because its more adult" type approach to comic filmmaking. And overall that feels wrong for this universe.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:

For me its not even that. The overall tone of the WB/DC universe is so grimdark it just doesn't feel like a proper translation of the comics. I don't mean the narrative tone so much as the visual tone. Sure, Batman as a comic is dark, thanks to the work of Frank Miller, but even still the palette used in coloring the DC comics is still so much brighter than the Snyderverse. Even Tim Burton's Batman movies had a better visual tone that fit within the comic styling. MCU movies tend to have that more often than not as well, even in their darker stories.
BvS, Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, and the trailers for WW and JL all have that same visual tone that just makes it feel awfully dark and depressive, regardless of narrative. That overall makes it feel like there's nothing substantive about it, and also makes me feel like its the whole "we're grimdark because its more adult" type approach to comic filmmaking. And overall that feels wrong for this universe.
Yet when Marvel turns Spiderman into Millenial Deadpool, they say it fits with the comic book aproach and therefore have substance :p

I feel this Spiderman never went through this:

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Apparently, he went with older songs to fit the mood in whatever Starlord was feeling or doing, and if a song fits with the scene in some random part. The scene with "Cherry Bomb" by the Runaways is a personal favorite of mine.
Hm, Cherry Bomb's a bit of a cheat for me, given almost any scene could be great with it...

A lot was made of Guardians' choice of tracks, but the devil's in the detail with how they were used, i.e. straddling the non-diagetic/diagetic fence to both affect a very 'cinematic' feel, whilst transitioning to exterior or interior shots and having the track sourced from his speakers in the ship, replete with acoustics.

I personally believe the original score for that film's been overshadowed, too, as it has some great moments.

I personally think Zimmer is grossly misused in the Man of Steel movie. The score he did for Interstellar was fantastic, and I loved his use of organ in the score. I've seen MoS, and I honestly can't remember a single piece of music from it. Damn shame, really.
This is the scene that always stuck with me, at least up to around the 2.40 mark:

I like the melody and most of the arrangement. It had real potential, even if the film didn't make the most of it.

I adore Interstellar so I'm biased, but yeah, I loved that score. Some objected to the, erm, sudden bouts of organ, but for me that film was always '2001 by way of Terrence Malick', and Malick's films have featured organs quite prominently at times (Alexander Desplat for The Tree Of Life, and Zimmer for The Thin Red Line - the very opening scene uses a sustained organ chord). The piece for the launch sequence [https://youtu.be/ca_Cv7seV4Y] is one of my favourites, particularly as the music begins and builds across a handful of scenes and days/nights. Phenomenal sound design as a whole, too.

Thankfully, he's done with dealing with superhero movies, and he's replaced by Junkie XL in this film. I like him, but I have concerns.
I would say he's hit'n'miss, but frankly no composer on a mainstream film's ever really going to be a surefire bet. I'm a big fan of the MCU, but their original scores are mostly little more than functional accompaniments. It never takes away from the films, however, so I could never call them bad.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
2 disappointing things about this - the casting is excellent, but fuck me, do I not care about the film coming from the trailer. And second, why on earth would you cast Jason Momoa and make him cover up those sweet abs of his? That's like putting a sheet over the Mona Lisa, just let the man walk around shirtless in every scene. God knows I'd go watch this in cinemas then.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
People are acusing Michael Bay of a Feminist Conspiracy?
Probably because of this:

I'm running a plugin that blocks Youtube comments, but I'm willing to bet the comments on that trailer are full of dudes whining up a storm.

EDIT: Turned off my plugin long enough to check. Yep! Damn I'm good at this.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Just by the trailer, we see a bunch of people fighting things for...reasons. We assume that the things are bad, and the heroes are good, and that's about it.

Samtemdo8 said:
People are acusing Michael Bay of a Feminist Conspiracy? I thought people always wrote him off as a meatheaded right winger?
http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/transformers-the-last-knight-trailer-sparks-debates-over-feminist-agenda/26419/

Have fun. ^_^

But seriously, the trailer is weird in regards to how much focus the girl has, and how awkward it feels. But then, the film would look bad regardless. It's not even necessarily Bay's call/

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm the opposite. I can remember quite a few MoS tracks, but can't recall any of the music from Interstellar, bar a drone from the sound mixing.

Samtemdo8 said:
More Lord of the Rings, less Warcraft please. The latter isn't a sterling example of a fantasy film, even if it's still a net positive for me, if only just.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Just by the trailer, we see a bunch of people fighting things for...reasons. We assume that the things are bad, and the heroes are good, and that's about it.

Samtemdo8 said:
http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/transformers-the-last-knight-trailer-sparks-debates-over-feminist-agenda/26419/

Have fun. ^_^

But seriously, the trailer is weird in regards to how much focus the girl has, and how awkward it feels. But then, the film would look bad regardless. It's not even necessarily Bay's call/

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm the opposite. I can remember quite a few MoS tracks, but can't recall any of the music from Interstellar, bar a drone from the sound mixing.

Samtemdo8 said:
More Lord of the Rings, less Warcraft please. The latter isn't a sterling example of a fantasy film, even if it's still a net positive for me, if only just.
At least the Warcraft movie isn't bad compared to......this:

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Yet when Marvel turns Spiderman into Millenial Deadpool, they say it fits with the comic book aproach and therefore have substance :p
I kinda feel like you don't know Spidey very well. He's been more the consummate jokester in the Marvel universe long before Deadpool ever existed. He doesn't break the 4th wall, isn't hyper-violent or batshit nuts. But I'd also argue that the humor is just a patch over a massive depression at losing the only father figure he knew to a mistake. So yeah, I can absolutely see the new Parker being a guy who lost Ben, quite easily. I don't think your analogy checks out. Add to that its a story about a high school kid (because the majority of Parker's canon life has been that age) in this time period, it checks out he's probably going to share a lot of traits with this generation.
You're absolutely well within your rights to say you don't like it or Marvel, but calling him "Millenial Deadpool" is at best showing your lack of knowledge of Spidey in general and is kind of a weak argument considering the quipping web-slinger is absolutely canon.
And also, from what I saw in Civil War, Tom Holland is probably the closest to Spidey we've actually had in both actual age and the portrayal.
Again, I'm not expecting you to like it, but I'd say from the color palette and the narrative tone of the Homecoming as presented in it's trailer, it fits substantially better as a comic book film than any of the WB/DC films have of their respective source materials.
I'm not saying MCU films are deep, but WB/DC films are trying way too hard to say they're deep when they're actually more like "we're grimdark, so angsty, we're adult!"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
I kinda feel like you don't know Spidey very well. He's been more the consummate jokester in the Marvel universe long before Deadpool ever existed. He doesn't break the 4th wall, isn't hyper-violent or batshit nuts. But I'd also argue that the humor is just a patch over a massive depression at losing the only father figure he knew to a mistake. So yeah, I can absolutely see the new Parker being a guy who lost Ben, quite easily. I don't think your analogy checks out. Add to that its a story about a high school kid (because the majority of Parker's canon life has been that age) in this time period, it checks out he's probably going to share a lot of traits with this generation.
You're absolutely well within your rights to say you don't like it or Marvel, but calling him "Millenial Deadpool" is at best showing your lack of knowledge of Spidey in general and is kind of a weak argument considering the quipping web-slinger is absolutely canon.
And also, from what I saw in Civil War, Tom Holland is probably the closest to Spidey we've actually had in both actual age and the portrayal.
Again, I'm not expecting you to like it, but I'd say from the color palette and the narrative tone of the Homecoming as presented in it's trailer, it fits substantially better as a comic book film than any of the WB/DC films have of their respective source materials.
I'm not saying MCU films are deep, but WB/DC films are trying way too hard to say they're deep when they're actually more like "we're grimdark, so angsty, we're adult!"
I don't like Teenage Spiderman, I want Spiderman thats more College Age or straight up Married Man. If that is how Spiderman is in the canon than he has to be the most insufferable and irresponsible brat I have ever heard, this is not the Spiderman I know, this is Marvel's blatent attempt to just make Spiderman more like Deadpool sicne Deadpool is still with Fox.

Also why is that bad? Why is Grimdark, Angst, and trying to be for adults bad? Comic Books as of late has been aiming for adults for decades now, I mean I have seen modern-ish Marvel and DC comics that straight shows blood from characters getting punched in the face.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
I don't like Teenage Spiderman, I want Spiderman thats more College Age or straight up Married Man. If that is how Spiderman is in the canon than he has to be the most insufferable and irresponsible brat I have ever heard, this is not the Spiderman I know, this is Marvel's blatent attempt to just make Spiderman more like Deadpool sicne Deadpool is still with Fox.

Also why is that bad? Why is Grimdark, Angst, and trying to be for adults bad? Comic Books as of late has been aiming for adults for decades now, I mean I have seen modern-ish Marvel and DC comics that straight shows blood from characters getting punched in the face.
See, I don't think that being adult, grim, dark, or angsty is a bad thing. Its when its done hamfisted and poorly is where I draw the line between good/bad. I feel like Daredevil on Netflix does grim, dark, angst, and adult correct, as did Jessica Jones. I feel like WB/DC is confusing visual tone and bloody destruction with good grim, dark, angst and adult.
I'll still argue that Spidey was doing the comedy act long before Deadpool existed, and long before Deadpool actually went comedy and therefore its not Spidey-gone-Deadpool. He's always been that type of character, no matter what age he was in comic canon. That's the character. It always has been, and its also why in the comics, they teamed them both up. Though Spidey tends to find Deadpool a bit way over-the-top in terms of his version of comedy.
And again, you're absolutely free to dislike whatever you wish, but the core of Spidey has been first and foremost a teenage kid, not an adult (though eventually yes he did grow up). In the MCU, it seems to me they're building from the ground up and going with the more core canon, not the later stuff so it only makes sense they're doing Spidey as a teenager.
From what I gather though, you're not a fan of MCU, and that's absolutely fine. But I cannot reconcile DC/WB's film universe as great, despite enjoying it. Its watchable, it has a lot of flaws in pacing, editing, and overall feels poorly planned out compared to how the MCU feels just better put together. And it sucks, for me, because I enjoy comics in general and really wanted to see a better turnout for the DC Universe.
I'd be fine with it being grimdark, if they just didn't feel like it was just so poorly portrayed. I'm just saying overall I feel as if WB/DC is mostly doing the shared universe in a forced way, whereas MCU just felt more organic, even with some of the films being less-than-stellar.
I'l still watch JL but I just don't feel like its going to make me think its going to make me suddenly feel WB/DC finally got it more right than not.