DC Superheroes Team Up in First Justice League Trailer

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would advise people to skip the movie, not because it will be bad, but because W.B have a reputation for taking a hatchet to movies in order to cut the run-time. What until the Director's Cut is released 6 months down the line.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
The problem is that is what DC fans want. By and large, they are very emo; their favourite hero is, after all, a man with a lot of pain, angst, and a fully black costume. It's the same reason they love Damian Wayne - a character more emo teen that Shadow the Hedgehog. DC fans want darkness and angst, whereas Marvel fans are generally a bit more lighthearted.

That and you know, Snyder being a shitty director and all. But we knew that since 300.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Everyone is saying this is DC doing the Marvel task in fast forward, but what everyone is failing to take in to account is that before Avengers Assemble Marvel had 5 movies setting up each of their main characters, Hulk, Thor, Cap and 2 Ironman movies) by the time Justice League hits guess how many movies DC will have had? 4 yup only one less than Marvel (infact the exact same if you exclude one of the Ironman movies) yet because of the utter cluster fuck they are making of it 3, that's 3 of the primary roster will have to be introduced in this movie alone.

I know WB is wanting to do their own thing and not to be seen to be copying Marvel but lets face it Marvel is doing the job right so who knows, if they maybe copied them a little bit maybe we would get some half decent movies instead of dumpster fires dripping with dog spooge.

For all the folk lets remember that given this is basically a poor man's version of Avengers Assemble it has this to live up too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZz0s32TwQU

now feel free to correct me but the music here is an original piece made specifically for this movie, and I guess that sums it all up really WB wants to get there quick with little effort were as Marvel put the work in to get where it is today.

As for the actual JL trailer, what's your super power, Iam rich was quite funny, other than that, well I fully expect a scene were Aquaman has to chew his own leg off so that he can beat a bad guy to death with it in the movie, since everything shown so far seems to be making Aquaman look like the manliest of all men ever. Um what else... November release date, weird date would have pegged this as a Summer Blockbuster... but then you remember that this year means going against GOG2 and next year getting utterly crushed by Infinity War part 1. Thor 3 is in October and the next Star Wars in December, I am guessing they went for a release date were their isn't much for it to go up against.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Laughing Man said:
Everyone is saying this is DC doing the Marvel task in fast forward, but what everyone is failing to take in to account is that before Avengers Assemble Marvel had 5 movies setting up each of their main characters, Hulk, Thor, Cap and 2 Ironman movies) by the time Justice League hits guess how many movies DC will have had? 4 yup only one less than Marvel (infact the exact same if you exclude one of the Ironman movies) yet because of the utter cluster fuck they are making of it 3, that's 3 of the primary roster will have to be introduced in this movie alone.
Also not forgetting that Marvel set up all of the major players in previous movies.
WB is INTRODUCING Aquaman and Cyborg in this movie, they had no previous appearances.
With Avengers, if you have seen the previous movies, you know who all of them are, even the villain (except for Thanos). But all of the major players were already completely introduced and we knew who everyone was. The fun of the movie was seeing how they would work together and interact.
With Justice League, they need to introduce half of the cast as people who haven't read the comics that much will need to know who they are. Which will waste a lot of time that the movie could spend on being fun and interesting and actually focusing on the good bits.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
Samtemdo8 said:
People are acusing Michael Bay of a Feminist Conspiracy?
Probably because of this:

I'm running a plugin that blocks Youtube comments, but I'm willing to bet the comments on that trailer are full of dudes whining up a storm.

EDIT: Turned off my plugin long enough to check. Yep! Damn I'm good at this.
You know that the reactionary whinging about feminists has lost all meaning when people are hoisting conspiracy theories on Transformers.

Also, I haven't been following Bayformers for a long time, and I have no clue WTF is even happening in that trailer anymore.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
its a story about a high school kid (because the majority of Parker's canon life has been that age)
Small point of note, but in the prime continuity Peter Parker hasn't been in high school since the '60s, and he was a postgraduate by the '80s.

Ultimate Peter Parker was always a high school student, but that series didn't even start until 2000.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
its a story about a high school kid (because the majority of Parker's canon life has been that age)
Small point of note, but in the prime continuity Peter Parker hasn't been in high school since the '60s, and he was a postgraduate by the '80s.

Ultimate Peter Parker was always a high school student, but that series didn't even start until 2000.
Happens that my mind comingles certain events... but my point was really that they're going back to the core of Parker, which started off in high school. Especially since they're operating off the idea that Spidey's relatively new to the MCU, so it makes more sense for him to be young like his canon origins.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Yet when Marvel turns Spiderman into Millenial Deadpool, they say it fits with the comic book aproach and therefore have substance :p
I kinda feel like you don't know Spidey very well. He's been more the consummate jokester in the Marvel universe long before Deadpool ever existed. He doesn't break the 4th wall, isn't hyper-violent or batshit nuts. But I'd also argue that the humor is just a patch over a massive depression at losing the only father figure he knew to a mistake. So yeah, I can absolutely see the new Parker being a guy who lost Ben, quite easily. I don't think your analogy checks out. Add to that its a story about a high school kid (because the majority of Parker's canon life has been that age) in this time period, it checks out he's probably going to share a lot of traits with this generation.
You're absolutely well within your rights to say you don't like it or Marvel, but calling him "Millenial Deadpool" is at best showing your lack of knowledge of Spidey in general and is kind of a weak argument considering the quipping web-slinger is absolutely canon.
And also, from what I saw in Civil War, Tom Holland is probably the closest to Spidey we've actually had in both actual age and the portrayal.
Again, I'm not expecting you to like it, but I'd say from the color palette and the narrative tone of the Homecoming as presented in it's trailer, it fits substantially better as a comic book film than any of the WB/DC films have of their respective source materials.
I'm not saying MCU films are deep, but WB/DC films are trying way too hard to say they're deep when they're actually more like "we're grimdark, so angsty, we're adult!"
I don't like Teenage Spiderman, I want Spiderman thats more College Age or straight up Married Man. If that is how Spiderman is in the canon than he has to be the most insufferable and irresponsible brat I have ever heard, this is not the Spiderman I know, this is Marvel's blatent attempt to just make Spiderman more like Deadpool sicne Deadpool is still with Fox.

Also why is that bad? Why is Grimdark, Angst, and trying to be for adults bad? Comic Books as of late has been aiming for adults for decades now, I mean I have seen modern-ish Marvel and DC comics that straight shows blood from characters getting punched in the face.
Look, it's quite simple. Snyder might make his films murky, but he's incredibly immature and any attempt at complexity or edginess just comes off as juvenile posturing. What made Watchmen so great as a comic is that it really did handle superheroes in a mature way. It found the perfect balance between enjoying the idea that costumed vigilantes really could exist in our world, while lampooning the absurdity of the idea. This is all while being attached to a plot that asked fundamental questions about whether it was more important to strive for truth or safety. Snyder failed to capture any of this because Snyder is a fanboy who wants to make lurid exploitation films, but without any self awareness that this is who he is.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
EscapeGoat said:
Also, does anyone else think Cyborg looks oddly skinny? I've always pictured him (or he always seems to me to be pictured) as a big burly robot-bloke but here he looks practically waifish.
That was the FIRST thing I noticed about the trailer. Even though my first time I've seen Cyborg is from Teen Titans and expected him to look more wider and buffer. Also what the fuck is the glowing blue on/off switch on his forehead, its like a zelda boss where its saying 'HERE. HIT RIGHT HERE TO KILL ME'.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
09philj said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Yet when Marvel turns Spiderman into Millenial Deadpool, they say it fits with the comic book aproach and therefore have substance :p
I kinda feel like you don't know Spidey very well. He's been more the consummate jokester in the Marvel universe long before Deadpool ever existed. He doesn't break the 4th wall, isn't hyper-violent or batshit nuts. But I'd also argue that the humor is just a patch over a massive depression at losing the only father figure he knew to a mistake. So yeah, I can absolutely see the new Parker being a guy who lost Ben, quite easily. I don't think your analogy checks out. Add to that its a story about a high school kid (because the majority of Parker's canon life has been that age) in this time period, it checks out he's probably going to share a lot of traits with this generation.
You're absolutely well within your rights to say you don't like it or Marvel, but calling him "Millenial Deadpool" is at best showing your lack of knowledge of Spidey in general and is kind of a weak argument considering the quipping web-slinger is absolutely canon.
And also, from what I saw in Civil War, Tom Holland is probably the closest to Spidey we've actually had in both actual age and the portrayal.
Again, I'm not expecting you to like it, but I'd say from the color palette and the narrative tone of the Homecoming as presented in it's trailer, it fits substantially better as a comic book film than any of the WB/DC films have of their respective source materials.
I'm not saying MCU films are deep, but WB/DC films are trying way too hard to say they're deep when they're actually more like "we're grimdark, so angsty, we're adult!"
I don't like Teenage Spiderman, I want Spiderman thats more College Age or straight up Married Man. If that is how Spiderman is in the canon than he has to be the most insufferable and irresponsible brat I have ever heard, this is not the Spiderman I know, this is Marvel's blatent attempt to just make Spiderman more like Deadpool sicne Deadpool is still with Fox.

Also why is that bad? Why is Grimdark, Angst, and trying to be for adults bad? Comic Books as of late has been aiming for adults for decades now, I mean I have seen modern-ish Marvel and DC comics that straight shows blood from characters getting punched in the face.
Look, it's quite simple. Snyder might make his films murky, but he's incredibly immature and any attempt at complexity or edginess just comes off as juvenile posturing. What made Watchmen so great as a comic is that it really did handle superheroes in a mature way. It found the perfect balance between enjoying the idea that costumed vigilantes really could exist in our world, while lampooning the absurdity of the idea. This is all while being attached to a plot that asked fundamental questions about whether it was more important to strive for truth or safety. Snyder failed to capture any of this because Snyder is a fanboy who wants to make lurid exploitation films, but without any self awareness that this is who he is.
Why must it have Self Awareness? Self Awareness only serves to kill any sense of tension or stakes or care I have in the setting and the characters.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
JenSeven said:
INTRODUCING Aquaman and Cyborg in this movie, they had no previous appearances.
They had trailers inserted in the BvS extended movie.

OT; I wonder how long in to the movie it will take for them to resurrect Superman. I will guess it'll be 4 days. Because symbolism, and Snyder has no concept of subtlety.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
008Zulu said:
JenSeven said:
INTRODUCING Aquaman and Cyborg in this movie, they had no previous appearances.
They had trailers inserted in the BvS extended movie.
They were in the cinematic release, which is honestly even worse. I was not excited at all when they showed them. Especially Aquaman's, he looked ridiculous.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'm getting Suicide Squad vibes from this. Some "fun" music over what are probably the only jokes in the whole movie to try and market it as a lighter toned film.

Also it has the same look as the end of BvS where the characters don't even look grounded in the real world because there's so much CGI. The scene at the end with Aquaman jumping off the batmobile looks unfinished and empty. It seems like a huge setpiece moment and then he jumps at 3 parademons just out in the open and nothing going on. Same with the quick shot of wonder woman standing alone in the middle of the street. Lifeless.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
A friend of mine said, "It's impressive the trailer managed to find and hold the exact color palette of suicidal ideation." I can't top that analysis.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I was not excited at all when they showed them.
Seeing Cyborg being built by the Mother Box (a series of MacGuffins with powers that more or less correlate to Marvel's Infinity Stones) was funny. And a stark (pun intended) reminder that DC seem to be copying everything Marvel is doing, except the success.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

To be honest, super serious spiderman in the comics was a massive shitbag. Whenever something depressing happened or his identity was threatened he'd always end up tearing up and clinging to Mary Jane whilst his friends ate pizza and played video games around him. It was also really cringy and rather lame whenever they pulled the "oh no spiderman got covered in spiders again and has become primal/ultimate/mutant spiderman, it's all gone grimdark and serious!". I'd like to at least see a decent attempt at the comedic spiderman.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
This trailer looks ok. I imagine if the current DCEU held any interest for me after 3 terrible movies it might make me interested in this movie. Really I just want this movie to fail. I love DC, I love its characters... and I want to see a good version put together by a competent couple of writers and made by a talented filmmaker. And that's just not going to happen with this creative team at the helm. I have wanted each one to be good. I wanted MoS to be good and went to see it on opening day. I wanted BvS to correct the serious problems with MoS and rebound into a good foundation for the DCEU. But now, its just obvious to me that building a franchise on such an unstable foundation just will never result in decent outcome. I stopped paying to see these movies after MoS and am voting with my wallet. I just hope enough people can resist paying to watch the slow motion trainwreck that is the DCEU that one will finally fail financially as well as critically and get the WB to just stop. Scrap everything Snyderverse adjacent... actually come up with a plan going forward, take their time, and do it right.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I dunno, it still doesnt feel like they've earned it.

Marvel built up to Avengers slowly.

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America. Each film focused on one of the main characters, most of the films were good, and then when they finally did Avengers, it felt like they had established the universe enough to finally do a teamup movie, and it felt like Marvel had earned it.

With the DCEU, they just seem like they are blundering into it, and doing it only because they want to catch up. They have done 3 films so far, with Man of Steel being the best of a bad bunch; not really giving this universe a strong foundation, or the good impression that it needs.

By the time that Justice League comes out, only Superman and Wonder Woman will have standalone films, however, Superman barely looks like he is going to be in this film. Oh. Meaning that in this team up film of 5 superheroes, we'll have one character that we really know, a barely explored Batman character, and then 3 others who will have to be introduced during the film, taking away from the time that the film needs to really prove itself.

I really, brutally, and honestly don't expect this film to be good.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
09philj said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Why must it have Self Awareness? Self Awareness only serves to kill any sense of tension or stakes or care I have in the setting and the characters.
If you want to make lurid exploitation movies, you have to either make them comedic, or so over the top there's no way anyone could assume you're being serious. It's possible to make serious superhero films (IE Batman Begins, which is an art movie disguised as a blockbuster), but that isn't what Snyder wants to make. He wants to make movies where people wear tight rubber and leather and everything is weirdly erotic because he has the mental age of a twelve year old.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
09philj said:
Samtemdo8 said:
09philj said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

If you want to make lurid exploitation movies, you have to either make them comedic, or so over the top there's no way anyone could assume you're being serious. It's possible to make serious superhero films (IE Batman Begins, which is an art movie disguised as a blockbuster), but that isn't what Snyder wants to make. He wants to make movies where people wear tight rubber and leather and everything is weirdly erotic because he has the mental age of a twelve year old.
.....Ok what the fuck man?

Nothing about Superman and Batman's costume gave me the impression that its sexy and erotic. It makes me question what the hell are you thinking.

Until you everyone I have ever seen on the internet had nothing but praise for Batman's costume in the movie.

Are you that puritanical that Batman has muscle on him that it makes you think its erotic or lurid.